We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hippeastrum 2019  (Read 5780 times)

luca

Re: Hippeastrum 2019
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 07:57:58 AM »
Hi Jim

no seeds yet

but I've have another clone not yet flowered...

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 05:07:47 PM »
This is Hippeastrum evansiae, another native to Bolivia.  It is somewhat variable, especially if you include H. anzaldoi as a synonym of evansiae.  For many years, no one could seem to get seeds from evansiae.  It is self-sterile, and there was apparently only one single clone of it in cultivation.  Recently, several other clones have appeared, and we are now able to produce seeds of this nice little species.

643559-0
My #2053 (above and next one below)

643561-1
This one was collected by the late Bill Janetos in Bolivia.

643563-2
This one is not white to the human eye, only to the iPhone camera.  It looks to be a nice light lemon yellow to my eyes.  It came to me from Telos Rare Bulbs by way of William Hoffmann.  My #3010.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 05:10:30 PM by jshields »
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

luca

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 10:51:07 AM »
Have produced seeds your Hippeastrums?

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 12:42:54 PM »
Luca, et al.,

I have produced some seeds, and have sent some out, mainly to folks who have sent me seeds in the past.  Overseas postage has gone up considerably in the last few years, so I do not ship seeds out willy nilly anymore.  I suppose I should send my leeft over seeds to one of the seed distributions.  Hippeastrum seeds do not keep well after the first few months.  So i have not gotten around to sending any to the SeedExs for the last couple of years.

Jim

luca

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 08:31:31 PM »
I understand Jim

But It's a pity lost rare seeds.

In the picture H. harrisonii seedlings. Raised from your donation to PBS   ;-) . 2 years ago

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2019, 09:22:42 PM »
This seedling bulb of Hippeastrum yungacense recently bloomed for the first time for me.

649204-0      649206-1

This grew from seeds sent to me by Ann Shubin in Australia.  Its sibling bloomed in March.

Jim

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 01:40:02 PM »
This cute mini Hippeastrum is from Taipas in Brazil. It still lacks a scientific name, but Mauro Peixoto and his collaborators are working on giving it one.  So far. most who grow it are calling it simply Hippeastrum "Taipas."  I think its proper designation at this point is Hippeastrum sp. nov. ex Taipas.  Mauro offered seeds of this species two or three times.  I got the seeds for this plant in 2008.  I had a bounteous bloom of Taipas seedlings a few years back and distributed seeds from that year, but have not gotten seeds from them since.  I will try again this year, as another plant of Taipas has a scape starting to grow.  I am storing some of its pollen just in case.  Mauro has not offered seeds of Taipas for several years now.

650222-0

The peduncle is about 42 cm high on this greenhouse-grown specimen, the pedicel is 30 to 35 mm long, and the diameter across the face of flowers, petal tips to petal tips, is 70 mm (2.8 inches).  Regis Bastian, in Brazil, thinks this species is probably related to the new Hippeastrum species, H. ramboi, whose naming he participated in.  These are exciting time in genus Hippeastrum!

Jim

luca

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 11:04:27 AM »
Very cute this small hippeastrum...

How long do flowers last?

Hippeastrum "Taipas" blooms every year?

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 02:39:46 AM »
Very cute this small hippeastrum...

How long do flowers last?

Hippeastrum "Taipas" blooms every year?

I think Taipas should bloom almost every year if you have enough plants of it growing.  I am not so sure that every bulb will bloom every year.  "Taipas" flowers last for several days if you don't mess with pollinating them.  They are part of a complex of late Fall and Winter-blooming species in Brazil in the process of being named now.   Two of these new ones are Hippeastrum multiflorum and H. ramboi.  Taipas did well in my greenhouse, but it remains to be seen if these other two will also thrive there.  It is said that H. multiflorum is like a weed, so I ought to be able to grow it.

Jim

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2019, 03:06:38 PM »
Hippeastrum calyptratum is blooming just now in my greenhouse, and I want to post these pictures before I forget it.  Calyptratum is native to Brazil, where it grows in an epiphytic manner.  They don't usually survive let alone bloom in my greenhouse, but  this one batch of seeds from Mauro Peixoto has produced three surviving bulbs, two of which are blooming or ready to bloom.

651540-0      651542-1

I have stored some fresh pollen from this one and will try to produce a few seeds when the second bulb blooms shortly.  Note that the pollen was not yet ready when the pictures were taken.    I normally donate my extra seeds to the Pacific Bulb Society's BX/SX  --  https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/

Jim
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:09:57 PM by jshields »

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2019, 03:10:26 PM »
The Hippeastrum aulicum plants are starting to bloom in the greenhouse. It seems too early to me for this, but here they come! Hippeastrum aulicum is native to Brazil, where it has sometimes been found swinging from a vine on a tree. This is the form from Corupa, from seeds supplied by Mauro Peixoto.

651745-0

651747-1

I expect to get a lot of seeds from the various accessions of aulicum that I have.  They should bloom off and on until about January.

Jim

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2019, 08:48:42 PM »
it has sometimes been found swinging from a vine on a tree.
I love the idea of a floral Tarzan...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

François Lambert

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 12:18:46 PM »
The Hippeastrum aulicum plants are starting to bloom in the greenhouse. It seems too early to me for this, but here they come!

Although I'm in Europe, my Aulicums have also been growing much too early.  In fact, they already started to push some new leaves by end of June - where normally I give them a dry summer rest during July & August - still in full leaf from the previous growing season.  Anyway, I did not water them this summer, their growth was suspended, I resumed watering last week and immediately they responded with fast growth.  I expect they will flower in about one month - as they did last year, and which is about 1 month earlier than in previous years.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 10:36:22 PM »
Here is another of my Hippeastrum aulicum accessions starting to bloom.  This is my #2144, which also came from Mauro Peixoto.  Unfortunately I neglected to record the location data that accompanied these seeds.

652353-0         652355-1

These petals look rather opulent for ordinary aulicum, at least to me.

Jim

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal