We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Are you troubled by weeds?  (Read 3517 times)

Roma

Re: Are you troubled by weeds?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »
Where do I start?  Crocus pulchellus, Tulipa sprengeri, Lilium martagon are all enthusiastic seeders and impossible to remove where they are not wanted.  Corydalis malkensis seeds around but is not above ground long enough to be a nuisance.  I have Eranthis hyemalis and Scilla bithynica at one end of the garden.  If they spread further they will be a nuisance, especially the Scilla.  Scilla bifolia is in a few places but so far is not a pest.   The worst real weed I have is sorrel. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 06:39:36 PM »
But Stephen Barstow would tell you you could be cropping the sorrel for  food, Roma!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »
Don't get me started on Crocosmia!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

ian mcdonald

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 02:48:10 PM »
Ralph, crocosmia/montbretia are sometimes seen on sea cliffs as a result of being thrown out of seaside gardens. It is dominant in some areas.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
Yes, Cornwall is full of it.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 03:10:20 AM »
But is the "weed" sorrel the eating sorrel? I have what I bought at a market as French sorrel and use that raw in salads but the weedy one is much smaller in stature and spreads as rapidly as a dropped jug of milk whereas the French one remains in relatively neat tufts and can be dug out if necessary. The weedy one has just recently come to my garden in a small plant of something else, from a sales table. It had been pulled from the surface and wasn't visible on purchase but within a week was already spreading out for pastures (and crevices and cushions) new. I've had to lift several plants, spray the patch and carefully rescue the other plants and tease out their roots to eliminate the sorrel. But it is still there.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal