We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2019 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 3357 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: January 2019 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 03:57:28 PM »

It is the end of January, but spring like weather has arrived in our Sacramento, California garden. Actually Leucojum aestivum has been blooming for many weeks now, rain or shine, cold or warm. I grow them from seed and always hope for something different or better. No luck in this department yet!

I also grow Eranthis hyemalis from seed. Like many of the perennial species we grow, they are dependent on a number of winter chilling hours for optimum growth and health. I generally sow seed in seed pans and grow them on for several seasons before planting them out. Heat conduction through the soil of potted plants has become an issue with a number of species. They emerge and bloom much later in the season than those in the ground and will decline if action is not taken. These days I shift the seedlings into the ground as soon as possible. The goal is to create a race of plants that require fewer chilling hours to perform well, much like peaches and apples varieties that have been bred to require fewer chilling hours.

Galanthus is another genus where some species seem to require adequate winter chilling hours to perform well and survive. I grow all my Galanthus from seed in hopes of developing varieties that perform well despite our warming climate.

A variety of Crocus species and hybrids do well in our garden. Sadly, they do not readily set seed in our garden.

In general, California native species thrive in our garden, especially those native to the hot interior regions of the state. There are exceptions. Dudleya palmeri thrives in our garden as well as many annual species such as the Clarkia (sprouting near the Dudleya) and a large variety of California native bulbs.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 07:22:08 PM »
Good to see you have some of your Spring flowering stuff in full flower Robert. My Leocojum aestivum is just peeping through the soil and it will be a few weeks yet before I see flowers. Having said that it's likely that Ian and Maggi will be a further few weeks up the line before they see shoots.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 11:20:50 PM »
Hi David,

Until today, 1 February, the weather has been very mild and almost spring-like. There are many plants coming into bloom now, such as Moraea macronyx (below).

It is going to be a nice addition to our garden. I was also pleased with the Cycalamen intaminatum that I grew on from seed received as a kind donation from a forumist. They are now in a large tub and bloom nicely during the autumn.

I guess that it would be nice to retire, however I love my work. Why quit?  ;D  But I have to admit that things get busy and I get delayed.

Anyway, I enjoyed your comments and always like hearing from you.  8)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 02:00:05 PM »
Snowdrops are in flower here. Crocus tomasinianus started to flower but the cold weather knocked them back. Some aconites are in flower. We had snow yesterday, less than 1/2".

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 03:26:51 PM »
Steve do you've a micro climate? all your pots are outside?
North of France

noremack

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 07:16:10 PM »
Bitterly cold in Edinburgh this week but the dwarf iris never fail to cheer the heart.
Ken

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal