We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The Garden House. 15 February 2019  (Read 1820 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
The Garden House. 15 February 2019
« on: February 15, 2019, 08:21:49 PM »
Another beautiful day today and with the lunch-time temperature nudging 17C we made the best of it by going to The Garden House.
https://www.thegardenhouse.org.uk/

Plenty warm enough for just a jumper (well, trousers as well). A visit to the Tea Room for a sandwich, and cake of course to start with! The Garden House is about 30 minutes from home for us over part of Dartmoor to Yelverton. It's a lovely drive too with the added incentive of an ice cream 99 (the best ice cream on God's Earth) on the way back home. No wonder I'm getting portly.

We have been to The Garden House many times over the years and today I thought it looked the best I've ever seen it. From becoming a bit one -dimentional since Head Gardener, Nick Haworth, joined in 2013 it has really advanced a lot.

Loads of pictures to come when I have finished preparing them but to start five views and then it's time to shoot off to the pub for a pint! The last of those views is of Nandina domestica which is new to me. It's common names are Heavenly Bamboo or Sacred Bamboo and it is a member of the Berberidaceae. Cracking small tree.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: The Garden House. 15 February 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 05:43:48 PM »
Beautiful stretches of Crocus tomassinianus, Iris reticulata, Heathers and a few Narcissus cyclamineus over the next two posts.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 05:44:59 PM »
and.....

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »
Many of the Camellias needed a couple of weeks yet to be at their best but some of the earlier varieties were well out. I always find it difficult to photograph the larger Cammelias so just one here and it's much easier to picture individual flowers.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 06:59:44 PM »
Many Hellebores throughout the garden so just a few here.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 07:13:05 PM »
I do like the Dogwoods but haven't the room to grow them so a couple of pics here. Many patches of unnamed Snowdrops  throughout the garden so just one sample here.

That just leaves me to decide how to deal with the  pictures of the named varieties of Galanthus of which there many.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Carolyn

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 07:36:13 PM »
Nice photos, David. What is the red-flowered shrub to the left of the red cornus stems? The colour is picked up and repeated, makes a good combination. Is it a rhodie, flowering already down in the tropical south?
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 08:09:13 PM »
Thanks Carolyn. Sorry I didn't get that one but I'm fairly certain it wasn't a Rhododendron, there were none out throughout the garden. Sorry.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 08:17:55 PM »
Right, all I have got left are the named Galanthus. The file names for the pictures are just what it said on the labels. I have left the picture sizes as large as possible in the hope this will be more useful to the Galanthophiles. Here we go:-

Galanthus 'Bertram Anderson'

634113-0

G. 'Doncaster's Double Scharlock'

634115-1

G. elwesii 'Fieldgate Tiffany'

634117-2
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 08:28:28 PM »
Sorry, this worked for the first set of pictures but it will not take them for the second batch and onwards. I will re-think!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 06:55:16 PM »
Galanthus elwesii 'Grayswood'

634259-0

Galanthus elwesii 'Natalie Garton'

634261-1

Galanthus elwesii 'Not Sickle'

634263-2
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 07:00:09 PM »
Galanthus elwesii 'Sickle'

634265-0

Galanthus 'Green Teeth'

634267-1

Galanthus 'Imbolc'

634269-2
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 07:31:17 PM »
Galanthus 'Marjorie Brown'

634271-0

Galanthus 'Martha MacLaren'

634273-1

Galanthus nivalis 'Chthonic'

634275-2
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »
Galanthus nivalis 'Ecussion D'Or'

634277-0

Galanthus nivalis 'Angelique'

634279-1

Galanthus nivalis 'Viridapice'

634281-2

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 07:47:45 PM »
Galanthus plicatus 'E A Bowles'

634283-0

Galanthus plicatus 'John Long'

634285-1

Galanthus plicatus 'Percy Picton'

634287-2
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal