We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Verbascum x Letitia  (Read 2030 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Verbascum x Letitia
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:43:51 PM »
I must be doing something wrong? :'(

Below is a picture of my Verbascum x Letitia taken in early June last year. The clump was around three/four years old and had reached nearly 90 cm. across. After flowering, perhaps in early Autumn, I sheared the plant over (not particularly heavily, or at least I didn't feel it was heavily) to tidy it up. Now it is no more!

Some years ago the same thing happened on another clump. This time Maureen pruned it, and I blamed her for it's loss.

Are they prone to flowering themselves to death? Should they not be pruned at all? I'd love to know please?

633721-0
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Carolyn

Re: Verbascum x Letitia
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:41:32 PM »
Your verbascum looked stunning, David. I especially liked the blue and yellow colour combination. I have never grown this verbascum but the ones I grow all like good drainage. Has it been wetter than usual in rainy Devon? Perhaps this is just one of those short-lived perennials. Time to start again, if you can find it - most of the online listings seem to be in the US.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

brianw

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 10:58:44 PM »
You have more courage than me. I never trim until the early spring when I see how much damage the winter has done; and then some bits are rooted for the eventual replacement I will always eventually need, or give to friends.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »
We have grown this plant a couple of times for the show bench but have found it rather short lived.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 11:20:11 AM »
David, Aberconwy stock this plant - no mail order of course, but  if you are attending any shows etc where they are expected, you could get  and order delivered to that .... see here:
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=16242.msg400491#msg400491
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 08:02:01 PM »
Many thanks for that Maggi, I'll be in touch with Aberconwy.

Thanks too to Carolyn, Brian and Shelagh. I'm pretty sure the loss of my plant wasn't weather orientated (we had a wonderful Summer and it survived the Beast from the East OK). I did a bit of searching last night and re-found an Article from IRG (Issue No. 8 April 2010) written by ZZ and his late-partner Joyce Curruthers in which they say>>>>>

""In the middle of January Joyce pruned a polster-forming [[I have no idea what a polster-forming is?]] shrub Verbascum x Letitia strongly and it responded with even more dense growth covered with golden icing in June.....""

Joyce Carruthers' garden was on the south eastern tip of Vancouver Island.

So maybe I should have left my plant until around this time of the year, or even a bit later, before giving it a haircut? And that would fit in with Brian's regime.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 08:49:00 PM »
 ;D ;)
 a "polster" is a cushion, or pillow ( in English there is the word   "bolster" for a big pillow )
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:24:22 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal