We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: February 2019 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 5207 times)

Johan K.

• Journal Access Group
February 2019 in the Northern Hemisphere
« on: February 07, 2019, 04:35:01 PM »
Some Carnivorous plants in flower.

Pinguicula esseriana

Pinguicula gracilis

Pinguicula 'Tina'

jomowi

Re: February 2019 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 09:55:03 PM »
Iris unguicularis ‘Mary Barnard’ AGM and I. unguicularis ‘Peloponnese Snow’
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 11:15:10 PM »
Particularly rich colour on the Mary Barnard, very nice. My Peloponnese Snow hasn't deigned to flower yet.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

jomowi

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 12:50:44 PM »
Particularly rich colour on the Mary Barnard, very nice. My Peloponnese Snow hasn't deigned to flower yet.
Gail, I bought my 'Peloponnese Snow' in 2015 and this is the first flower.  'Mary Barnard' has done exceptionally well this year compared with other years.  I'm thinking it is probably down to the hot summer we had last year? 

Gail

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 01:21:32 PM »
I bought my 'Peloponnese Snow' from Edrom Nurseries at the end of 2017 so it sounds as though I've still got a while to wait then.
Fingers crossed for some more hot summers.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

ruweiss

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 09:02:09 PM »
In spite of frosty nights, the day temperatures rised to unusual temperatures up to
+ 18°C, a chance for for the early geophytes to show their beauty. It was a pleasure
to walk outdoors. The forecast says,that this weather gets colder again at Tuesday.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

ruweiss

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 09:05:05 PM »
More pictures:

Gail

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 10:46:39 PM »
Lovely Rudi, my crocus were attracting lots of honey bees today but I don't have anything like the number there. Is that an old orchard where the Eranthis are growing?
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 09:02:10 AM »
I bought my 'Peloponnese Snow' from Edrom Nurseries at the end of 2017 so it sounds as though I've still got a while to wait then.

Same problem with me, different supplier ???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

jomowi

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 12:14:42 PM »
Gail, you are in a warmer part of the UK than I am, so maybe you won't have to wait as long.  I should have said in my original post that I give it (and any early flowering subject) a couple of feeds of high potash in mid-late summer which should encourage flower formation. There is another flower bud on 'Peloponnese Snow' to come, but the growth habit is far less vigorous than that of 'Mary Barnard' and other Iris unguicularis clones.  Maureen.

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 03:10:39 PM »
Spring is really starting:

634355-0

Hannelore

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:36:34 PM by Maggi Young »

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 04:48:01 PM »
Iris unguicularis Peloponnese Snow. Pot grown in a sunny south-facing frame.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

ruweiss

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 09:31:00 PM »
Lovely Rudi, my crocus were attracting lots of honey bees today but I don't have anything like the number there. Is that an old orchard where the Eranthis are growing?

The Eranthis and the Crocus grow in old and rather neglected orchards near our meadow garden. It is amazing to see
how the Crocus sow themselves around and different shades of blue appear there.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 04:56:35 AM »
19 February 2019
0430 UTC

Today was clear and cool in our part of Northern California. The spring flowers are holding up well despite the wind and the rain over the past week or so.

Iris reticulata ‘Harmony’ and Cyclamen coum. Cyclamen coum has been blooming for more than a month now. It seeds about the garden easily.

Iris reticulata ‘Harmony’ is the most durable reticulata type Iris in our garden. Other species and forms have been short lived, however ‘Harmony’ is slowly increasing and hopefully will be a long lasting asset to our garden.

Pseudotrillium rivale coming up through Cyclamen hederifolium foliage.

Pseudotrillium rivale and Trillium angustipetalum thrive in our Sacramento, California garden. Now that they are setting seed, I gather the seed and sow it each season to spread them around and hopefully get some interesting variation.

It is that time of year. The early forms of Primula (Dodecatheon) hendersonii are in full bloom now. The late blooming selections will be blooming in about a month. A full month or more of Dodecatheon hendersonii in flower does not hurt my feelings at all.

These are among my favorite of the early spring bloomers. The species has a good color range, white through deep magenta. I actively breed for superior forms. The first batch of hybrids will most likely bloom next year.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 04:59:10 AM »

The first Erythronium multiscapidium flower to open this season.

My Erythronium collection is finally starting to get established in our Sacramento garden with many other species emerging from the ground now. I am extremely pleased that they survived the move from the Placerville farm. Breeding for tolerance to our climatic conditions is a prime goal. This is still a few years away as the other species get established in our garden.

In addition, I grow many selections of Erythronium multiscapidium from my personal accessions from various sites in California. Intraspecific hybrids are in the works with the first batch of seedling scheduled to bloom in a year or two.

This may be a lavender form of Geissorhiza inflexa. They are very lovely and will be worked into the garden soon.

Now it is time to prepare for the next snowstorm at the farm.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 05:03:16 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal