We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife in nature and in the garden 2019  (Read 10868 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Wildlife in nature and in the garden 2019
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2019, 09:53:58 AM »
Anne's insect on the poached egg plant is a honey bee. The pollen baskets full of pollen are indicative of Apis mellifera, the European honey bee.

The ichneumon Ryssa persuasoria is an ectoparasite on the woodwasp (Urocerus gigas) larvae, and it uses that long ovipositor to lay its eggs deep inside wood where the larvae are feeding.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

jomowi

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2019, 09:26:35 PM »
Thank you Annew and Paul.  I will release it into the garden when I have relocated it.  It is no longer on my curtain. Maureen

I went on a hunt to find it this morning.  Found it on the roller blind of one of the French doors.  I opened the door, gave it a gentle nudge and off it flew.  Couldn't have been easier.  Thanks for further info. Anthony.  I'm glad I'm not a wood wasp larva!
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Roma

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2019, 10:02:45 PM »
A few years ago I saw a large number of them busy laying eggs into rustic poles round my ponies' field shelter.  I haven't seen any since.  Very rarely see a wood wasp.  They are huge and quite scary even though I know they do not sting. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »
Lunch with Ms. Spider...

647843-0

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 07:55:05 PM by Maggi Young »

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2019, 02:54:49 PM »
Thomas,

8)  photograph!

I guess you were in the right place at the right time.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Leucogenes

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2019, 08:28:16 PM »
Hi Robert
This everyday drama took place on a watering can in my garden. I am always fascinated by the world of insects and invertebrates. Shortly afterwards I could observe for the first time a large male specimen of Orthetrum cancellatum...a widespread large dragonfly with conspicuous light blue bodies. Unfortunately it was not possible for me to take a useful photo...because the sun was behind it and the resting place was a thin two that moved a lot. I will go further with open eyes by the garden.

Maggi... thanks for turning the picture... but actually the spider hung head down.  ;D

Again a detailed photo...

Robert

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2019, 12:56:56 AM »
Hi Thomas,

I enjoy seeing these dramas play out in the garden. 8)

I have been hearing rumors of excessive heat and in some locations dry weather in France and Germany. Is your area being impacted? Here in our part of California the weather is currently cool with below average temperatures.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Leucogenes

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 08:24:49 AM »
Hi Thomas,

I enjoy seeing these dramas play out in the garden. 8)

I have been hearing rumors of excessive heat and in some locations dry weather in France and Germany. Is your area being impacted? Here in our part of California the weather is currently cool with below average temperatures.

Hi Robert

We are definitely affected by this... see picture from yesterday. A big problem is the prolonged drought in the north and northeast of Germany. Also the winter was much too dry.

The only pleasant aspect of the climatic changes is the observation of new species from southern Europe. For example, since this year I can observe more and more a large black bee from the Mediterranean area in my garden...Xylocopa iris. But otherwise the enthusiasm about the change is very limited.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 12:36:10 PM »

Maggi... thanks for turning the picture... but actually the spider hung head down.  ;D

Yes, I thought the  photo was  correctly  aligned - but I thought  it was easier  for  some  of us to  see the  detail when rotated, which is why I left the  original photo is  place!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2019, 06:37:34 PM »
Hi Robert

We are definitely affected by this... see picture from yesterday. A big problem is the prolonged drought in the north and northeast of Germany. Also the winter was much too dry.

The only pleasant aspect of the climatic changes is the observation of new species from southern Europe. For example, since this year I can observe more and more a large black bee from the Mediterranean area in my garden...Xylocopa iris. But otherwise the enthusiasm about the change is very limited.

Thomas,

How are you coping with drought conditions? Here in California there is NO rainfall between 1 June and 1 October. Well, sometimes there is a tiny amount. In addition, high temperatures can soar to > 40 C and stay above 38 C for a week or more. Heat and drought in normal every summer here in interior California. It must be difficult dealing with drought and heat where this is not the usual weather pattern? I certainly hope that the plants and the gardener are doing okay. Sadly, I currently do not see much of a pattern change here in California where is has been unseasonably cool. Right now it is overcast and there might have been some sprinkles in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. If we do not get any hot weather the summer monsoon may not arrive in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Stay tuned on this one...
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2019, 08:03:31 PM »
First hummingbird hawkmoth of the season today, at the salvias 8)

Not quite wildlife but apparently sentient vegetation isn't something to worry about unless/until it talks back to us :o ;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

brianw

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2019, 04:33:14 PM »
Quite a shock in the garden today. I am used to local wildlife appearing unexpectedly; we have had Fox, Muntjac deer, Squirrels, Mallard ducks, Red Leg partridge this spring, and Pheasants every day. The latter produced ~7 chicks somewhere locally but are now down to just the 1 chick each day under our hanging bird feeders. The smaller birds messy eating feeds the other wildlife.

Today I was trying to clear and extend a sloping bed at the end of our patio paving. This slopes to the west with roses at the top near the house and was originally planted with a mix of hardy Geraniums (pratense etc.) lower down. These have just finished flowering and it was time to cut back and replant a bit. I find a cheap Lidl electric hedge trimmer handy for these jobs. Quite a surprise today as I swept it across the Geraniums for the hen pheasant to jump out and just sit there looking at me. The chick sitting still beneath the remaining geranium. A good job the gaps between the teeth is quite small, although I did not actually hit the bird.
I walked away and left them to it. They were still there when I checked some time after. Now I know where they disappear to during the day, just coming out when there is enough seed spillage to make it worth their while ;-) Plenty of bugs amongst the plants I guess. There are several other semi wild areas but they choose to be next to the house. Maybe they are listening to the tennis ;-)
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Leucogenes

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2019, 09:03:43 AM »
I have just seen this beautiful female specimen of Misumena vatia on a flower of Lavandula angustifolia... without my glasses. ;D

Robert

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »
 8) And without your glasses!

If this is like me, well, this is quite the accomplishment.

Anyway, nice photograph.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ruweiss

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2019, 09:16:02 PM »
My congratulations to this excellent pictures,
natures colours are simply great.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal