We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 33123 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: October 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2008, 11:03:58 PM »
Salvia jurisicii is herbaceous and ours is a pale purple shade.

Did not see this plant here for ages Fermi, though trade offers seed of it here.
In our climate it is better used as a biennial.
But easy from seed.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2008, 12:04:28 AM »
Fermi,

Glad to hear that Otto is home and as well as can be expected.  I have delayed emailing him because I figured he wouldn't want lots of emails to go through when he got home.  Please pass on the best from Yvonne and I if you're talking to him, and hopefully I'll be in direct contact by email with him soon.

Thanks for the Otto updates by the way.... it has been great to be able to hear how he's going.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »
We are so pleased to hear that Otto is home and on the mend.  Just had a message in the mail from him, actually, as I was reading these posts!

We are able to spend time with Otto and his garden whenever we like, even from thousands of miles away, because some time ago he sent us a CD with a super Australian TV programme, featuring him and his garden.... a real treat, I can tell you.  It's really nice way to feel close to a man of tremendous talent and personality. We wish you a complete and speedy recovery, Otto!  :-* :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »
Fermi,

That Penstemon californicus is a delicious plant, great grey foliage which would grace the garden even without the attractive flowers.

Glad to hear that Otto is well.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2008, 04:29:21 PM »
For Otto, from us all.......

92470-0

92472-1

92474-2

92476-3
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2008, 07:40:44 PM »
Otto is indeed feeling better, I spoke to him last evening (my time). The main pain now is from the op itself, where the cut was made, not from the spine which was damaged. He is a bit frustrated not being able to drive or garden but that will come in just a few weeks. He ventured down his steep garden yesterday, with sticks, and had no problems. He expects to be back into the Forum today (Monday).

The time people are kept in hospital nowadays seems almost frighteningly short. One of my Market Trust bosses went into Dunedin Public on Thursday week before last, had op for malignant tumour on Friday and was back home Monday morning. Seems OK though.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 07:43:11 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2008, 07:57:39 PM »
Good to hear Otto is improving Lesley.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

snowdropman

« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2008, 08:21:29 PM »
Otto is indeed feeling better

Lesley - this is excellent news - many thanks for keeping us up to date.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #173 on: November 03, 2008, 10:26:07 AM »
So what is mine then David?

Lesley,

I am going to have to eat humble pie on this one - I now have a clone of your Clematis foetida kindly supplied by Peter Cooke. He told me it originally came from Muriel Davision of Maple Glen. Although it is noticeably different from the common local form of Clematis foetida it apparently keys out as Clematis foetida which is as good an identification as anyone can manage. I guess this is another example the wide amount of variation present within many species of New Zealand plants.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2008, 09:20:39 PM »
Thanks for this David. I had wondered about natural variation because so many plants DO vary enormously in the wild, but you being you, I didn't like to argue. I hope your pie tastes good though. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal