We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria 2019  (Read 11920 times)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Re: Fritillaria 2019
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 05:42:46 PM »
fantastic collection Colin.
North of France

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2019, 06:54:03 AM »
Snowdrops go, Fritillaria come:
636517-0

Greetings
Hannelore

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2019, 07:01:44 PM »
Fritillaria ehrhartii

Fritillaria kotschyana

Fritillaria forbesii

Fritillaria reuteri

Fritillaria davidii -two flowers climb out from under the bizarre leaves.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Mariette

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 03:44:16 PM »
You´ve got a wonderful way to look at plants and make others see, too, Steve!

The colour of this chance seedling of Helleborus  x hybridus proves a surprisingly good match for Fritillaria ´Early Sensation´.

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2019, 08:12:59 AM »
Just a question: How much bad weather can Fritillaria stenanthera bear?

Fritillaria stenanthera CAMBRIDGE has already started to flower. So my question: How wheather resistant is this sort? We have cold wheather, rain, sometimes a snow shower (snow is away after some hours) and sometimes frost in the night - not more than -1°C. I put a plastic hat over it, as seen on the photo, but now it's too small and I should remove it.
637124-0

Do you think the flowers survive without shelter?

BW
Hannelore

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 08:43:24 AM »
It should be frost-hardy to at least -1°C. It copes much better with dry cold than with cold damp conditions.

I keep some very large black plastic pots that I use to provide temporary overnight frost cover at this time of year. Use two pots -one inside the other with a layer of fleece trapped between them and use them inverted. It takes only seconds to place them over sensitive plants at sunset and the same to lift them in the morning. Frosty nights are usually without significant wind so no “fixing down” is needed.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2019, 09:58:01 AM »
Very good solution! Thank you.

Meanwhile I got an Email from Evgenji (augis bulbs) where I bought it too. He says, that he keeps the seedlings in the open field, only the plants he uses for getting seeds are under glass.

So I'll remove the cap now and prepare hats of black pots :-)

Hannelore

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2019, 07:07:10 PM »
I grow very few frits and it is at fault. I think one day i'll annex my neighbour's land to setup a new greenhouse ;D

Fritillaria ehrhartii, sourced from Mister Vickery
Fritillaria graeca, eated by slugs and damaged by strong gusts.  :(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:10:42 PM by Yann »
North of France

colin e

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 08:45:56 AM »
This year I have a number of plants flowering for the first time where I acted as the pollinator. The first is a Fritillaria crassifolia: this pot full was made by crossing Fritillaria crassifolia RRW 92134 and Fritillaria crassifolia RRW9325 .Both of these plants came from Bob and Rannveig Wallis. The result is what was expected - a Fritillaria crassifolia. Also at a Frit Group meeting I used a Fritillaria purdyi that  Bob and Rannveig had brought to the meeting to pollinate my purdyi and again I got what I expected. In 2015 I sowed a pot full of Fritillaria kittaniae seeds which I know came off one of my plants and I think it was JJA 0497 700 because I did hand pollinate it and they are similar to the pot labelled as this. The uncertainty is because we moved house in this year and things were a bit mad.
The last two pictures are from seed exchanges. The Fritillaria sibthorpiana subsp. enginii was grown from AGS seed and the Fritillaria tortifolia from Frit Group seed. Both of these look correct.

Colin
Somerton, Somerset UK zone 8

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 05:42:23 PM »
Beautiful plants all.

A few here: Fritillaria crassifolia crassifolia from RR Wallis, F. ehrhartii a K Vickery coll. & F. meleagris which remains one of my favourites.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

colin e

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2019, 09:45:21 AM »
I showed yesterday some seed grown plants where the seed was made deliberately and I got what I expected and wanted. Below are two examples of open pollination where I have known the seed parent and what the resulting plants look like. The first is Fritillaria conica. Even though I had other plants for it to cross-pollinate with, the fly or wasp did not read the manual and I ended up with what you see below. Not many have flowered yet but it does not look promising that I will get anything remotely like I hoped for. The second example is for Fritillaria rixii. Again this was open-pollinated and I only know the seed parent, not the pollen parent. I also for this plant had other plants in flower but again the fly or wasp did not read the manual. The first picture shows the seed parent, the next shows the resulting pot full of flower I got. I have to say I do like the one that I have pictured just the flower of, but it was not what I was after.
This is just a heads-up for people making seed now. If you want to know what you will get, you have to take control. This is the down side to having a sizeable collection.

Colin
Somerton, Somerset UK zone 8

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2019, 02:10:22 PM »
Despite frost last night:

638052-0

Frittilaria stenanthera 'Cambridge'

638054-1

Frittilaria stenanthera

Menai

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 07:14:43 PM »
This frit is flowering for the first time. It is labelled F. pyrenaica but doesn't look like any of the pics on the Friillaria group pages. The seed came from the SRGC exchange. Is the id right?
Some of my frits are a month earlier than usual, others don't seem to have been affected by Feb weather.
Thank you

Erle from Anglesey
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 08:28:12 PM »
pyrenaica : http://www.herbier.sesa-aude.fr/Fritillaria-pyrenaica

but it's quiet possible it is pyrenaica, in the wild i've seen so many variations.

Fritillaria crassifolia ssp. kurdica
North of France

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2019, 09:01:38 PM »
This frit is flowering for the first time. It is labelled F. pyrenaica but doesn't look like any of the pics on the Friillaria group pages. The seed came from the SRGC exchange. Is the id right?
Some of my frits are a month earlier than usual, others don't seem to have been affected by Feb weather.
Thank you

Erle from Anglesey

Look a bit  like  F. montana to me, Erle.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal