We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January and February 2019  (Read 16021 times)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Crocus January and February 2019
« on: January 01, 2019, 03:28:42 PM »
In 2015 i collected seeds of Crocus near Başyayla, Turkey. Several pots are flowering for the first time. The bad and rainy weather has damaged the flowers and yellowed the leafs. I'm thinking of Crocus taurii. Anyone can confirm?
North of France

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Crocus January and February 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 06:07:05 PM »
In 2015 i collected seeds of Crocus near Başyayla, Turkey. Several pots are flowering for the first time. The bad and rainy weather has damaged the flowers and yellowed the leafs. I'm thinking of Crocus taurii. Anyone can confirm?
I'm afraid that it is not C.taurii. At first the distance between yours locality (if I found it correctly on Google Earth) and locality of C. taurii according HKEP is around 500 km, C. taurii in general is blue, rarely whitish. Here I'm attaching some of my pictures of crocus which I regard as taurii.
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 06:29:31 PM »
Today I got nice mail from Germany with attached photo of pink Crocus alatavicus (I'm attaching it here). In 2017 I sent abroad 2 corms of it - one was sent to Japan, another to Germany. With me left the smallest from 3 what I had. This picture inspired me to visit greenhouse where some days ago I took of the cover, because in became too warm below it. Today in greenhouse was + 4 C (outside +1-2 C). Checking my pot with my corm of pink alatavicus I found 2 noses just-just at soil surface, so I hope again for 2 corms this season. But most of crocuses still are sleeping. Only one more flower of C. caspius came out, started blooming one acquisition of C. laevigatus and still are blooming C. cartwrightianus cretense, laevigatus, pumilus and few boryi. From so named spring bloomers - only 2 pots with hittiticus - others only showed tips of leaves. Last year at this time they were in full bloom. Leaves of mine newly published C. hatayensis at present are around 20 cm long, whilst kotschyanus just just show noses on few pots. Weather broadcast warns about dropping of temperature up to minus 12 after 2 days, so after tomorrow most likely again will cover plantings. Frost wave will be around one week and then again + temperatures are announced for most of January.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 08:45:22 PM »
A beauty, Janis!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 08:56:46 PM »
I'm afraid that it is not C.taurii. At first the distance between yours locality (if I found it correctly on Google Earth) and locality of C. taurii according HKEP is around 500 km, C. taurii in general is blue, rarely whitish. Here I'm attaching some of my pictures of crocus which I regard as taurii.
I've a taurii from you, a dark form, almost blooming. I remind hower having grown a really pale form i lost in 2017.
The JJVV-015 has similar segments.

I collected seeds near the lake of Ermenek while searching for a rare Ophrys.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:01:10 PM by Yann »
North of France

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 07:22:02 AM »
Janis...your Crocus alatavicus (pink) is one of the most beautiful Crocus I've ever seen. Especially at this stage of the half open flower...a dream.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 07:27:27 AM »
Janis...your Crocus alatavicus (pink) is one of the most beautiful Crocus I've ever seen. Especially at this stage of the half open flower...a dream.
Only I want accent - that this picture is not mine, but made by my German customer. My own corm still not started blooming.

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 07:56:46 AM »
Only I want accent - that this picture is not mine, but made by my German customer. My own corm still not started blooming.

Of course... you mentioned that in your article. Please excuse my forgetfulness...I'm a bit intoxicated by this fantastic tiny one. 😊

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 09:07:56 PM »
Crocus tauri JR 221, this one is from you Janis
North of France

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 06:44:10 AM »
Crocus tauri JR 221, this one is from you Janis
JR-221 - is it cataloguers number? If so - from which year?
Here after two days of strong wing and snowstorm (with little snow, would like more) started moderate frost. Tonight (and for coming 3-4 nights) minus 8 C, but after week for two nights dropping down to minus 20 C is proposed. Hope this will not come, but winter must to start. Today I will return covering with night frost protection film, but if really will be serious cooling , glass wool sheets will be returned.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »
I can't remind Janis, i didn't note year.

Spring has started in the greenhouse, again much more ahead than previous season, it's gloomy, dull but temperatures are above 5°c.

Crocus chrysanthus 'Sunspot'
Crocus reticulatus
Crocus tauri
North of France

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 02:02:09 PM »
With me frost and dull weather. No flowers are opening. Yesterday returned covering of my beds and noted flower bud noses of C. fauseri coming out, but no real spring flower yet, single exception is C. hittiticus, but flowers stay tightly closed.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 02:49:26 PM »
A couple of crocus in flower here.  Hoping for colder weather for another six weeks or so ... some hope  :-\

Crocus chrysanthus S0225 - the sole survivor from several collections David S shared sixteen years ago.  From Greece, between Drama and Xanthi.  I have seed raised progeny from a couple of the others.

Crocus hartmannianus from Crocus Group seed sown 2015.   It's nice to think that careful cultivation and sharing of seeds/plants allows us to grow these very rare plants and perhaps in time contribute to their future survival in the wild.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »
Janis, the pink alatavicus is really ubelievable !!  What a treasure.

Here I have 2 C. gembosii flowering from you - very different in colour and stature - both beautiful though and the fragrance is heavenly!!!!
Very happy with the clone with the almost black style. (this is not 'Sunspot')

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 10:28:06 PM »
Nice plants Tony and Luc!

The recent mild weather has brought a number of crocus to flower here.

Crocus nubigena

Crocus pseudonubigena

Crocus caricus

Crocus seisumsiana

Crocus gembosii Sunspot
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal