We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2019  (Read 42391 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Hepatica 2019
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2019, 10:03:09 AM »
Carstens, you have a VERY BIG collection of beautiful Hepatica's!
Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2019, 11:29:34 AM »
Carstens, you have a VERY BIG collection of beautiful Hepatica's!
Indeed ,Carstens, I agree with Herman!  And thank you for  sharing the photos with us!  You seem to have  great success with their cultivation, while others  can struggle with them - what is  your advice ?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carsten

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2019, 04:24:52 PM »
In my view itīs quite easy to satisfy the needs of Hepaticas. They are classic woodlanders of deciduous habitats, even survive in quite dense coniferouse forests. They often grow on slopes and seem to like good drainage. This in mind they will grow easily under hedges or deciduous shrubs and trees. They respond well for a frequent topping of leaf-mould. They will show their full beauty in a sunny spot in spring before the new foliage appears. After flowering they like to be shaded and can cope drought if fully established. They like humidity and are best untouched in their spot - self sowing is more likely as if you clean the area to frequently.
In pots give them a free draining compost and repot every year with the new roots starting to grow after the summer rest - Sep-Nov. I start to shade the greenhouse in February and finaly up to 70% in late March when the new foliage developes - so much earlier then outside.
John Massey of Ashwood Nurseries published a small leaflet of the culture of Hepaticas with is consicely and especially for the UK grower. He recommends a mix of equal parts of John Inns No. 2, bark or leaf-mould and perlite. My compost consists of equal parts of 'Einheitserde' (peat based standard mix), shredded and composted coniferous needles/branches and pumice. I use deep pots like those for Galanthus and add some drainage of pumice, lava and zeolite. (I know that this kind of drainage is controversial) Whatever mix you use, it must be free draining and donīt compress the compost to firmly when repoting. The buds should be above the compost but not too high as the new roots grow from the base of the bud every year. Older plants grown outside in a tidy garden often grow out of the ground as new organic matter is removed.
Maggi, if I was a Hepatica, your garden would be the right place for me  ;)
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2019, 04:30:00 PM »
 :-*

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2019, 07:21:51 AM »
Whatever mix you use, it must be free draining and donīt compress the compost to firmly when repoting. The buds should be above the compost but not too high as the new roots grow from the base of the bud every year. Older plants grown outside in a tidy garden often grow out of the ground as new organic matter is removed.

Thank you Carsten to putting together the requirements of Hepatica.  :) Most of it I remembered but I hadn't thought of that the new roots grow from the base of the bud every year, and I should also check the plants growing outside that they don't grow out of the ground. Though I don't tidy too much, usually I add more mulch every year, and I think I may have lost self sown seedlings to putting too much mulch on top of them/on top of the seeds. When the seedlings are bigger they are easier to see.
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2019, 01:27:27 PM »
Greetings from B.C.   I was wondering which hepatica this one is ...  having difficulty to paste the image.  It is the deep blue nodding hepatica from this site:  http://www.srgc.org.uk/nurseryws/040404/content.html             5th image down.  I would like to try and find it here in the Vancouver lower mainland or try to find it's seeds.  Thank you.

Hello again, Monica - Ian Christie is has  been trying to make contact with you  be  the  email address you have  registered to the  Forum - without success - can you  contact  me via the forum please, with your  address etc.   Maggi

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2019, 10:39:38 PM »
Hepatica acutiloba 'Louise Koehler' is starting to flower!
Belgium

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2019, 07:32:56 PM »
Nice to see all the flowers
Mine in flower are Hepatica transylvanica normal and Elison Spence
I am very positively surprised with E:S as it is much darker in bud almost purple. In pictures it tend to be quite pale blue
I try to illustrate this

Elison Spence
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:35:19 AM by Maggi Young »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Gunilla

« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2019, 08:00:37 PM »
I am very positively surprised with E:S as it is much darker in bud almost purple. In pictures it tend to be quite pale blue

Yes, Joakim. That is my experience too.  H. transsilvanica 'Elison Spence' starts as a dark purple bud and then gets more light blue as it matures.

For some years I have grown a double Hepatica nobilis called 'White Eye' . The flowers have been all blue and I couldn't understand why it was called White Eye.  This year I know  :)

Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2019, 08:18:35 PM »
Yes, Joakim. That is my experience too.  H. transsilvanica 'Elison Spence' starts as a dark purple bud and then gets more light blue as it matures.

For some years I have grown a double Hepatica nobilis called 'White Eye' . The flowers have been all blue and I couldn't understand why it was called White Eye.  This year I know  :)
Gunilla, 'White Eye' is very nice!
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
Hepatica nobilis var. insularis
Belgium

kris

« Reply #146 on: April 15, 2019, 12:11:11 AM »
I have enjoyed all the beautiful hepaticas shown in the forum. I specially love the double blue.
In Saskatoon H.transsilvanica performs better than nobilis.
Here are 3 pictures taken today in the garden.
1.Hepatica transsilvanica
2.Hepatica transsilvanica alba
3. Hepatica nobilis
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #147 on: April 15, 2019, 07:23:39 AM »
I have enjoyed all the beautiful hepaticas shown in the forum. I specially love the double blue.
3. Hepatica nobilis
Hi Kris, very nice clumps of Hepatica's, here the Hepatica season is gone. The leaves are showing now.
Belgium

Carsten

« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »
3. Hepatica nobilis
Hi Kris,
both of your transilvanicas are very impressing! I have never seen them flowering so densly before.
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

kris

« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2019, 02:03:14 AM »
Thank you Herman and Cartsens.
Somehow the ordinary Hepaticas like our climate.
I can't get the doubles or rare ones here. No nursery in North America sells them. My only way to get them is by seeds. I have some of them through the donation of some kind forumist. They are little late and they are not as floriferous as the ones posted above.
 My dream plant is the H.nobilis double blue.
Hepatica nobilis double pink is available here and  it is still in buds.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal