Cultivation > Composts

Wool compost

<< < (2/2)

Pennine Wanderer:
I have used this compost for a few years and am quite happy with it. I live not far from Dalefoot and it is often offered by local garden centres at 2 bags for £10, however I have seen it for sale at another garden centre in Cumbria at just under £10 for a single bag.  This is a ridiculous price and no one in their right minds will pay this price.

Maggi Young:
A reply from Dalefoot  about  my  question as to the  progress of the  McLennan's  trial of the  compost  for their  snowdrops :

Good Morning Maggi,

Thank you ever so much for your swift reply. Great news to hear you’ve heard of us and we are somewhat on your radar!

I rang and spoke with David McLennan yesterday for their feedback to date as its been a 2-3 year trial now. He advised they began the trial with the more commercial John Innes compost Vs Dalefoot Wool Compost & Lakeland Gold. The kept the same variables to ensure a true comparison. The outcome is that Dalefoot has produced bigger bulbs, bigger, stronger and healthier plants and that with our compost they didn’t need to feed for the whole of the three years. We advise a no need to feed for 12 – 24 months depending on product and the plants going in it, so for them to not feed for 3 years is amazing. With this a much more natural crop is produced. They are now looking at using our products elsewhere in their garden. David also gave this feedback at an Alpine conference in February when the topic was Peat Free and is happy for me to share it with you as they are members of your society.

In regards to our Alpine mix we started this for Plants with Altitude. It was a collaboration between Neil and ourselves and since other people take it such as Kevock when we have made a batch as it’s not a standard product more of a special mix.

We have just placed a bulk order for the grit etc and will be making a batch up in the next few weeks should that be of interest.

If you have any other questions at all please do not hesitate in letting me know.

Many Thanks,
Shona

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version