We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: persisting leaves  (Read 1148 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
persisting leaves
« on: December 27, 2018, 05:58:40 PM »
This is Paeonia lutea var. ludlowii from today.
I noticed (not only in 2018) that this plant did not shed its leaves, which makes an unpleasant appearance.

So I want to know if this is a normal behaviour for this species. A Paeonia rockii nearby does not resent this problem.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

brianw

Re: persisting leaves
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 07:53:41 PM »
In a group of plants here that started as individual plants of Paeonia lutea var. ludlowii and Paeonia delavayi, there is now a "copse" of hybrid plants some of which are now bare stems, some with brown leaves and some still with green leaves. In a mild year the green persists until spring, but usually they all eventually drop. My P. rockii has dropped its leaves but often retains it's leaf stems well into spring unless I tidy it up.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 08:43:00 PM »
My previous garden was really windy so anything not actually tied down would disappear over the horizon but in the sheltered garden I have now I've noticed a few peonies, including a couple of Itohs retaining their old leaves. On my plants I don't think it is a disease but I've run my hands through them to clean the plants up, partly for aesthetic reasons but also to discourage any fungal attack if we get a mild, damp winter. On your plant I can't tell from the photo - were there black areas on the leaves before they turned brown? If so that may indicate some botrytis which is one of the biggest problems with peonies, although ludlowii is usually quite resistant. I would however strip the leaves off anyway...

Useful guide to peony problems here;
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/Portals/0/Gardening/Gardening%20Help/Visual%20Guides/Peony%20Problems.pdf

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
Thank you both for advices!
The Peony guide is very useful indeed!

I would however strip the leaves off anyway...

Already done -

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal