We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus graecus  (Read 5666 times)

David Lowndes

Galanthus graecus
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:45:34 AM »
I’v been looking for information about Galanthus graecum. I know there is a cultivar G.graecum Petrich which I am buying from Edulis. Does anyone know anything about this species? In fact, is it a recognised species?

Palustris

Re: Galanthus graecus
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:26:30 AM »
I can only find G graecus as a synonym for G. elwesii, if that helps.

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »
I use the site of CITES bulbs as my reference about Galanthus wild species. There, G. graecum (used in garden) is synonym of G. gracilis : http://citesbulbs.myspecies.info/category/galanthus-wild-species/galanthus-gracilis
On the same site, G. elwesii var. elwesii is synonyme of G. graecus  Boiss. but not the one in garden (see http://citesbulbs.myspecies.info/category/galanthus-wild-species/galanthus-elwesii/galanthus-elwesii-elwesii)
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

David Lowndes

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:26:21 PM »
Thanks both.  The Bishop, Davis and Grimshaw book also takes this position (CITES).  As it is sold as graecum rather than graecus I am expecting to see the gracilis connection. It will be interesting to grow it and see how it develops.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 11:58:54 PM »
There is a type of snowdrop with the broader supervolute leaves of G. elwesii but these leaves are somewhat twisted in the manner of G. gracilis so it's a bit like an intermediate form between the two species.  I have been to talks where this has been referred to as G. graecum (or was it graecus, I don't remember for sure).  It's certainly not (last I heard) a fully recognised species but maybe one day.  Whilst some genera have undergone extensive DNA testing, the genus Galanthus has received very scant attention so what constitutes a different species is very much in the eye of the beholder rather than the result of analysis.
Almost in Scotland.

David Lowndes

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 07:24:01 AM »
Thanks Alan. That’s really helpful. Can you recall if anything was said about distribution? Turkey, I’ m guessing.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 09:44:45 PM »
Yes, something was certainly said about distribution but unfortunately I cannot recall where.  I think it was Melvyn Jope speaking and he frequents Greece more than Turkey.  Also the name would rather imply Greece, wouldn't it?
Almost in Scotland.

Edgar Wills

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 10:50:23 PM »
Found this on google:
“You will note that that I have called the plant Galanthus graecus  -  I have heard or read of them being described as G.elwessi, G. gracilis or as a hybrid between the two. As this all sounds rather unsatisfactory I have followed the naming used by by fellow forumist Dimitri Zubov.
I wanted to take photos showing the considerable variation in leaf, flower markings etc and I hope you will see that the plant presents a nomenclature problem. Some applanate some convolute and considerable variation in the size and development of leaf at flowering time.”
From  https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8904.0
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 07:12:03 PM by Maggi Young »
For galanthophiles:
Check http://www.snowdropwiki.nl
A wiki, for snowdrops.:)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 07:05:07 AM »
Well done Edgar - and what a great repository of information the SRGC Forum is.  I might add that a few years ago the snowdrops labelled Galanthus elwesii on sale in my local garden centre looked very like G. graecus, as described.
Almost in Scotland.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 03:55:58 PM »
The galanthus in the Mt Olympus and Mt Vermion area are very varied and every variation between 'gracilis' and 'elwesii' can be found. On My Vermion the plants are mainly growing in beech woods and lots are very robust whilst at Macroplagi at the back of Mt Olympus they are growing under conifers and are much smaller. I think Zubov has called them all 'graecus'

Further east on Mt Pangeo and out from Drama they are more like you would expect gracilis to be.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

David Lowndes

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 06:10:26 PM »
This is turning out to be very interesting. I always forget to search this forum, maybe I’ll remember now! I remember seeing this snowdrop for sale last season but can’t remember where. Looking forward to growing it.

Anne Repnow

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 06:11:13 PM »
Thank you Tony - that is very interesting!
Anne Repnow gardening near Heidelberg in Germany
carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

David Lowndes

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »
Mystery resolved.  A very reliable source tells me that G.graecus (not graecum) is about to be reconfirmed as a distinct species following molecular studies.  I’m not being smug about the source, it’s just that I haven’t checked to see if they are happy to be named.

Stefan B.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 03:15:06 PM »
Galanthus graecum ‘Petrich’

Interestingly, I discovered a few years ago in my garden, here it is.

Unnamed

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:54:03 PM by Maggi Young »

David Lowndes

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 06:55:45 PM »
Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal