We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bomarea hirtella needs a rest period?  (Read 2595 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Bomarea hirtella needs a rest period?
« on: November 22, 2018, 12:25:35 AM »
I started Bomarea hirtella (syn. edulis) this spring from seeds, it grew very well over the summer outdoors but towards fall started to look a bit unhappy with some of the leaves drying up.
With the onset of cold weather it went indoors where it lingered until I decided to repot it and see what's happening with the root system.
There were few seedlings in the same pot, obviously with very little room for all and some broke when I removed the pot. I also recuperate some tubers...

My question is - does this species needs a rest period and I should let it dry up? Or the dried up seedlings are gone for good?
Have a look at the photos. One seedling had actually a sort of contractile root? with the tuber attached at the end.

Thanks in advance.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Véronique Macrelle

Re: Bomarea hirtella needs a rest period?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »
I too need advice for Bomarea caldisii:
 2 sprouts germinated in the middle of summer on 4 sown in April. their tuber, if there is one, must not be very thick.

they did not react like yours, Gabriella

I returned them very green in September and installed under a skylight in the house. they have not rested, but have remade 1 new stem, so I continue to water a little.

I hope there  is someone who knows the bomarea who can tell us if it is absolutely necessary to rest or not and whether this dormancy is dry or not.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 01:19:18 PM »
Gabriela & Véronique,

I keep Bomarea edulis (so the seed was labeled) to the basement - dark and about + 10° to 15° celsius. As a test I did not water during winter 2017/2018 and after that nearly lost the plant - so I'll continue to keep the pot slightly damp.
This is not the best method to overwinter because this Bomarea always want to continue growing. I guess a cold room with sufficient light would be superior.

Véronique: I also cultivated Bomarea caldisii and the plant died after experienced the conditions shown above.  I would recommend to continue your cultivation as mentioned.

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gabriela

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 06:19:10 PM »
Thank you Gerd!
That's what I suspected too considering their wild habitats - that they would like light/cool room for the winter.

It is surprising how little good info about Bomarea spp. is available, on-line at least. Even on PBS page some recommendations are so off reality - "Seedlings will remain about the same size in a small pot for years" ??? ....

Véronique's B. multiflora (syn. B. caldasii) looks very well. My seedlings most probably just run out of soil/space in the small pot I crammed them all.
It is also possible that they may enjoy a deep pot, considering that long root? I found with the tuber attached, encircled at the bottom of the pot.

B. hirtella is mostly accepted as B. edulis; the names are syn.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 10:02:22 PM »
At my old house in Suffolk I had a Bomarea self-seed itself into the cracked render on the outside wall - survived well with absolutely no added water/care and flowered yearly for 3 years. May well still be there (unless the new owner is more diligent at repairing render than we were!).
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gabriela

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 12:46:31 AM »
At my old house in Suffolk I had a Bomarea self-seed itself into the cracked render on the outside wall - survived well with absolutely no added water/care and flowered yearly for 3 years. May well still be there (unless the new owner is more diligent at repairing render than we were!).

Thanks Gail. My question was very specific though, and from the perspective of someone who lives in a colder climate than most UK, where you can easily grow outside all year long various species from South America.
When trying to grow such species in a temperate continental climate, it is a completely different story.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 08:53:46 AM »
2 seeds sprout again in my pot of Bomarea!
I had only 4 seeds in the bag, which is 100% germination! ((sown April 2018)

the seedlings are small but already strong. would the bulb at the bottom of the pot be developed before the first stem comes out?

what is the minimum temperature estimated at this location, Gail?

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 07:48:58 AM »
what is the minimum temperature estimated at this location, Gail?
According to garden logs, apparently the min temp was -4.6C on 1 Jan 2002.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal