We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Soldanella culture  (Read 6466 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Soldanella culture
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 12:25:07 PM »
So do I Mick, but then they die! >:(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 07:18:39 PM »
Not having learned any lessons I've just bought a Soldanella carpatica x pusilla which, thanks to Susan, I shall try under glass. What should my watering regime be though once the flowers have died back?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 07:29:42 PM »
It's a mountain plant - it gets rained on regularly in summer and it is covered in snow in winter. Keep it top watered in summer and just moist in winter.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 07:59:04 PM »
Thanks for that David.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 08:07:07 PM »
David,I keep my Soldanella in a north facing frame that only gets the evening sun in the summer time, and I cover it with glass in the winter and it flowers very well. I don't think they like greenhouses, much too hot in the summer. I have one in a raised bed facing south that is shaded by the house all winter, but full sun in the summer. It grows slowly but no flowers. hope this helps
Cheers.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 08:58:14 PM »
Thanks for that Michael, it might be happier then over the Summer in the covered shelves I use for my Auriculas and then bring it back to the greenhouse in October/November?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Michael

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 11:19:53 PM »
Just one question... Do they need lots of bright indirect light? Or fern light is enough? And during winter while covered by snow, do they need light, or they can handle 2-3 months of darkness?
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 09:01:08 AM »
Mike, snow isn't 'dark'. Have you ever looked at mountaineering or Antarctica type web sites where they show photos from deep down in crevasses - there is s remarkable amount of 'blue' light transmitted through the ice and snow. Any mountaineers who have camped out in snow holes will testify to the amount of light that filters in through the snow.
The soldanella could possibly withstand a reduced light in winter but definitely not darkness.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Michael

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 10:18:48 AM »
I am realizing that i still wtill need that refrigerator with glass sliding doors that they use on the supermarket for the icecream, to grow one... It would be interesting!
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »
Could anybody tell me what's the best way to sow Soldanella montana?
It heard it should be very fresh. Does it still have to be green? And which soil mix is the best to sow this species in?
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 10:12:23 AM »
The fresher the better Wim...but mine germinate where they fall in a very gritty slightly acid soil in a very large pot. They do appreciate very moist conditions in spring.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Les Brown

• Bothy Folk Club
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 01:11:25 PM »
The Soldanella at Harrogate was Wilma & Jim Wrights, It's had a Farrer a coulple of years ago. They live in Southport, Merseyside & have a shady back yard converted into a small garden & the only cover they have are a couple of small frames & a conical greenhouse. I think it lives in a frame during winter, however I will ask them. They can't reply themselves as they don't have a computer.
Cheers
Les
Les Brown  Southport
"Light up your life with a bulb"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal