We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sycamore leaf-mouldSaw a post of 2010 re.  (Read 2042 times)

Matt Rose

Sycamore leaf-mouldSaw a post of 2010 re.
« on: September 22, 2018, 05:54:44 PM »
Further to a post of 2010 Re. Sycamore leaf-mould:

I've got a lot of 2 & 3 year-old majority-Sycamore leaf-mould. Was thinking of using to top-dress & seed after scarifying & aerating turf on very light but seriously compacted soil.
Before doing I read Bob Flowerdew's "Complete book of companion gardening" and found in reference to Sycamore, p.119... "Very little will germinate where the leaves decay."
Does anyone have a second opinion?

Carolyn

Re: Sycamore leaf-mouldSaw a post of 2010 re.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 06:31:51 PM »
I have not found this to be true. My leafmould must be about 50% sycamore and it is fine to use - the leaves just take a bit longer than, say, oak or beech, to break down.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Sycamore leaf-mouldSaw a post of 2010 re.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 08:44:58 PM »
As others have reported in that thread  ( http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5898.0  )  well rotted sycamore leaves  can make  good  mulch and compost.
 I believe Bob Flowerdew's comments refer to the  length  of time  whole sycamore leaves can take to break down  and therefore they can make a dense cover under trees which deter growth there. This is not a problem with well -rotted  leaves, or those which have been shredded beforehand to enable faster rotting down.   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:47:49 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal