We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chinese gesneriads  (Read 14925 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Chinese gesneriads
« on: April 20, 2008, 05:05:57 PM »
I have a propagated a number of these all from Chen yi ,so probably wrongly named but still beautiful, to swap. I generally keep them frost free but have tried some in an unheated greenhouse and they have survived okay. Also a few European ramonda plants.Not looking for anything in particular but would prefer gesneriads so open to offers. Some examples shown below.
Chirita liboense chen yi
 Chirita monantha
 Chirita speciosa g37
 Hemiaboae calveri
 Petracodon delbeata  g61
 Tremacron aurantiaca
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:18:02 AM by Maggi Young »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Chinese gesneriads
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:34:33 AM »
All very yummy, especially 2 and 6 which has leaves that are sooooo Ramonda-like.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

jomowi

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 08:24:33 PM »
Tony

The Tremacron looks to be correctly named, the first two look like Chirita but the rest I am not sure.  Look at the Flora of China on the web.  Are you sure the Hemiaboae is correctly spelt.  I think it should be Hemiboae.

The Tremacron is thought to be hardy by Ray Drew but I have not found it to survive outside here in Aberdeen although it does (just) at least in our recent relatively mild winters in the cold frame,

Can you spare a leaf or so from the Hemiboae and the Petracodon?  they look to be worth a try.

Brian Wilson  Aberdeen
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:12:57 PM »
Brian

the spelling is a typing error.

I have in fact left a tray of seedlings of chirita monantha outside all winter and they have survived. I only raised them to prove I could and so neglected them.
Another couple of species were in a cold greenhouse and survived okay but I have not tried any planted outside. Ray has quite different winter conditions to me, I think I am milder and much wetter.

Yes no problem on the spares and I will email you directly after the weekend. It is the Harrogate flower show tomorrow ands I am away walking in Scotland for the weekend,
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:37:30 PM »
I'm with Lesley. They look superb. I tried a Trinidadian gesnerid I brought back last October but it damped off. I have a yellow flowered monocot which has flower buds, so that should be interesting? Wouldn't mind trying some of these hardier types in exchange for something you fancy Tony?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

yijiawang

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 02:20:37 PM »
Excellent plants, as you known, There are over 400 species own Gesneriaceae in China. A book named Plants of Gesneriaceae in China ,nice pictures for you confirm your babies name.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 10:02:42 PM »
A great shame (for me) that none of these lovely things is on our bio index and so we can't bring in seed, even if it is ever available. Just as well I'm not travelling to China for the Olympic Games, as I could be tempted to be very naughty! ;D ;D ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 07:17:49 AM »
That Tremacron aurantiaca is a real stunner...
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:00:29 AM »
Dear Wim,
.....oooh no!!!!!
...it's got all its 'bits' hanging out,
(so undignified)

Giles

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 11:01:46 AM »
2 and 5 are great, but #6 is a stunner.  Wonderful display or intriguing flowers and great leaves.  Never seen it before, nor likely to in a hurry again I'd imagine unfortunately.  It is VERY nice.  Well done in growing them so well!!  8)

Giles,  sometimes having your "bits" hanging out can look quite effective!!  ;) ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
Flower "bits" hanging out never really schocked me... I'm used to this fellow flowering in my garden every year (although there is not much hanging)
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 10:47:11 PM »
As an EASILY shockable lady of advancing years, I'll keep right away from this conversation. I'm tempted though. ;)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 12:17:17 AM »
Dracunculus has the same sort of chock value as that Amorph.  Never been a problem for me (the smell is more shocking than the exposed bits!!  ;D)

I'm pleased to see you've resisted temptation Lesley..... but how long can that last?  ;)

Back to the Gesneriads..... One thing I do like about that Tremacron aurantiaca is the exposed style and stamen etc.  Gives a very different look.  That and the strong yellow colour make it something I will certainly look out for in the future, if I can ever remember the name of course!  ::) ;D

And finally.... out of interest, how long do Gesneriad seed stay viable for?  Are they a very limited viability, or does it depend on the genus and species?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 12:20:23 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 04:56:28 PM »
Flower "bits" hanging out never really schocked me... I'm used to this fellow flowering in my garden every year (although there is not much hanging)

Good gracious. Is that hardy? Now there's a plant I must get! 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 05:57:02 PM »
Actually it is "hardy" ;D in Belgium. It comes up every year but it never flowers if you leave it outside for the winter. So the picture I showed you was of a plant in a pot.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal