We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Vine Weevil -nematodes or poison?  (Read 1028 times)

Bart

Vine Weevil -nematodes or poison?
« on: September 19, 2018, 09:50:38 AM »
I grow a substantial amount of Cyclamen in pots. I keep looking for unusual lack of development and indeed one of my Cyclamen persicum was lagging behind all others:

624890-0
Cyclamen persicum eaten by vine weevil grubs.

In the past I have treated with systematic vine weevil killer, which worked well, but I was wondering about people's experience with nematodes, and whether it is a bit late in the season for that?

I'm also curious to know what people do to prevent this from happening, is it better to water with vine weevil killer as a precaution, for instance as a first 'shower' to break dormancy? (But that wouldn't work so well for C.graecum and C. rohlfsianum if you don't want leaves before flower).

If anyone would like to share their approach to this recurring problem, that would be great!

Ali Baba

Re: Vine Weevil -nematodes or poison?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »
Ive had this problem in the past, but since using nematodes as a preventative measure in early autumn the problem has stopped. I never felt comfortable using insecticide due to its effect on pollinators.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal