We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendron myrtifolium propagation  (Read 2402 times)

Vlădoiu Antonio-Florentin

Rhododendron myrtifolium propagation
« on: September 08, 2018, 07:42:09 PM »
I live near the Carpathian mountains,i see entire meadows completely covered in Rhododendron myrtifolium,i want to collect some seeds,but i have no idea what to do next,can you give me any tips? Also,what are your experiences with R.myrtifolium?
*Some nice signature*

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Rhododendron myrtifolium propagation
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 01:03:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum Florentin :)

I don't have personal experience germinating R. myrtifolium because it is usually too early to collect seeds when visiting the Carpathian Mts., unfortunatelly.
But taking into consideration the few Rhodos I had germinate, the process it's pretty straightforward.
Collect the capsules, let dry at room temp., they should open and release the seeds; keep them in a glassine/paper envelope (a glass jar will do well) and sow in early spring.

The sowing must be done on top of the substrate (they require light for germination); I won't give you substrates recipes that I know you won't be able to follow by lack of 'ingredients'. Use a potting mix with added vermiculite/perlite/fine gravel or something similar. Easiest is to enclose the pot in a large plastic bag until the germination starts and then open it gradually to allow more air for the seedlings and check on the humidity level.
Very important - good luck  :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal