We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Seed Exchange No.72 2018-2019  (Read 24703 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: SRGC Seed Exchange No.72 2018-2019
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2018, 01:25:48 PM »
Sorry, Gabriela,  my information as regards the new system is  very limited.  It seems to  me that as things stand  e-members will not be able to register until the system goes "live" for ordering. This  seems a disadvantage to e-members - which I hope will be  addressed in future.

In the meantime, we must hope for comment from the Seed Team.

Edit :
 I am delighted to learn that e-members are now able to  register, as per  David's  comment  in a post #32. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:39:58 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2018, 02:04:28 PM »
Sorry, it seems we are back to the forum again for problems concerning the Seedex.

I'm so sorry to read that Gabriela and please accept our apologies for any hassle or stress this may have caused you.  Unfortunately  the forum / web team cannot really assist with this or offer our usual high standard of "instant support"  as the previous online seed exchange has been replaced by a new, much more user friendly system and we have no knowledge of its inner workings or user interface.

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 02:26:46 PM »
Please, Maggi, no one is being disadvantaged. All members - electronic or otherwise - can access the portal now and see the seedlist for this year.

It's just that the registration process for e-members is different: we already have their e-mail addresses from their journal access registration.
To clarify the process for e-members:

Click on the Login tab
Tick reCapture button
Enter e-mail address
Click curser in password box (or tab key from e-mail box) and 'forgotten password?' will appear: click this and the system will send a link to your registered email address so that you can set a password.

Please note that the password must be at least eight characters long and contain a combination of upper case letters, lower case letters and numbers (at least one of each type of character).
Registration is a one-off process for all members. Next year you will be able to login with email and password as set this year.

Once you have set a password you can login. In order to complete your registration please then go to the membership details, check the details we have on your membership and make any corrections.
You must also read our privacy policy and tick the GDPR box - you need to do this before you can order any seed.
Then click Save

Then you will be able to access the online seed list, download a pdf of the printed version, or an Excel spreadsheet.

Please note, the portal will open for orders from  Saturday 1st December.

Enjoy this year's list - we look forward to receiving your order.

A huge thank you to all the donors who make the exchange possible and to the seed team, including packers and helpers who make it happen.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:34:13 PM by DaveM »
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 02:40:43 PM »
Please, Maggi, no one is being disadvantaged. All members - electronic or otherwise - can access the portal now and see the seedlist for this year.

Thank you  David, I am delighted to learn that previous  errors  in that area  must simply  have been a hitch.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »
First, my deep appreciation to all who run the seed exchange and design/manage the excellent online ordering system. 

One very humble request: please (oh please oh please ;D) avoid reCAPTCHA next year and forever thereafter if at all possible.  It's so clunky and horrible.  To verify that we are carbon-based could we just enter say the answer to a simple numerical calculation in text, e.g. four minus three equals)?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2018, 03:12:14 PM »
I also tried to send an email, as instructed and got a big blank page, so I have no idea that the Contact tab works.
Sorry, it seems we are back to the forum again for problems concerning the Seedex.

Hello Gabriela,
 A recent test of the  "Contact " facility for  the  Seed Team  has  been successful, in spite of the rather alarming  blank page  which you  describe.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2018, 05:24:11 PM »
 on REGISTRATION:

Surname    :
Membership No.    :

to left of registration on the menu bar: LOGIN

E-Mail Address    :
Password    :

this is where we have the choice to click on forgotten password

I hope it helps, Gabriella. I took some time to find. because I was already registered.

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2018, 06:25:41 PM »
It may be worth mentioning that  Surname had to be changed to Family Name on the online postal membership and e-membership pages as it very often caused confusion for members whose first language was not English, the meaning of  Family Name being immediately obvious.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 06:30:18 PM »
Thanks all.
Reading here I feel the same like when you go to the doctor AFTER you experienced pain and you are not believed (not that was any pain, or stress involved - like suggested).

My posting here was made in the idea of helping the team understand these issues, which can happen on any website (I run my own so I know how it goes). All the work done by everyone from the website/ seedex team is greatly appreciated. 

I didn’t expect an instant answer, but standard practice over a Contact form is to get a note saying ‘your message has been sent or something similar’ not a blank page.

Last evening (around 8 pm Ontario time) on the Login page – the right area was blank, no tabs for email/password showing, that’s why I went to the Registration page.[/b

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2018, 09:38:42 PM »
I can see how a blank page might be confusing. It might be better to have a message to reassure the user.

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2018, 06:12:58 AM »
agree  ;D
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Mini bulb lover

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2018, 10:04:01 AM »
Hi everybody

Thank you for spotting the 'deliberate' error in displaying materials that may not be allowed into certain countries. The database behind the portal is correct and the error is in the display coding. We will correct this asap, please bear with us.

Live material (L) refers to bulbils, bulblets, cormlets etc and these cannot to be sent outside the EU. The X items are excluded  from the USA.

Thanks for that DaveM.
Jon Ballard
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - Australia

Lover of small flowering bulbs.
"Good things come in small packages"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »
Good news from the Seed Team - the google search facility that has been used in
the past  has now been implemented in the browsing seed list, for the convenience of members.  :)

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »
Good news from the Seed Team - the google search facility that has been used in
the past  has now been implemented in the browsing seed list, for the convenience of members.  :)
That is excellent news! It really was an essential feature to have.  :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2018, 01:22:28 PM »
Volunteers are  busy  getting the  donated seed  packeted and  back to the various seed exchanges of the organisations they belong to -

630170-0
"Another box of seeds packed and ready to post back to SRGC and AGS for distribution".

Well done Ian and Roma Smith! The Seed Exes rely on great volunteers like yourselves!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal