We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Seed Exchange No.72 2018-2019  (Read 24727 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: SRGC Seed Exchange No.72 2018-2019
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 04:45:26 PM »
Picture from Sue Simpson....
630098-0

"Scottish Rock Garden Club -  Next part of the seed exchange - awaiting packaged seed boxes. We will then return unused seed to green boxes."
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 04:05:50 AM »
I love that we can view the seed list a week before ordering. Australian members have to check that all requested seed is on our government's allowed list ::). It's a time consuming process so it's great that we can check the seed list during the week before rather than rushing through it late at night (local time) when ordering becomes available.
Bother!
My iPad is so old that it won't show the "I'm not a robot" box to tick so I can't log in to look at the list! >:(
Have to wait till the laptop is not being used!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Carolyn

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 06:36:37 AM »
Fermi,
You don't need to log in to look at the list. Just click on seed lists and you will find the new list as a spreadsheet.
Have fun!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 10:18:34 AM »
There is a PDF format 2018 Seed List here

http://srgc.net/seedexchange/SRGCseedlist2018.pdf

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
I notice the online (searchable) list says X= excluded from the US. Numbers 914 and 915 are both Colchicum soboliferum but 915 is marked with an X. Can someone please explain the difference between the two listings? There's no "L" next to them to indicate that one of them is live so I'm not sure what else makes them different. I want to make sure that I only order seed.
Hi Jon,
I think they might be bulblets/cormlets - not sure what the "L" for "live" means - maybe ephemeral seed?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 11:44:24 AM »
I love that we can view the seed list a week before ordering. Australian members have to check that all requested seed is on our government's allowed list ::). It's a time consuming process so it's great that we can check the seed list during the week before rather than rushing through it late at night (local time) when ordering becomes available. Thank you!!!!!!  ;D

I notice the online (searchable) list says X= excluded from the US. Numbers 914 and 915 are both Colchicum soboliferum but 915 is marked with an X. Can someone please explain the difference between the two listings? There's no "L" next to them to indicate that one of them is live so I'm not sure what else makes them different. I want to make sure that I only order seed.

Answer back from Ian Bainbridge -  the second  entry is  'live' - i.e. bulbil.  Paper list will make that clear I'm told.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:11:53 PM by Maggi Young »

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 12:37:20 PM »
Hi everybody

Thank you for spotting the 'deliberate' error in displaying materials that may not be allowed into certain countries. The database behind the portal is correct and the error is in the display coding. We will correct this asap, please bear with us.

Live material (L) refers to bulbils, bulblets, cormlets etc and these cannot to be sent outside the EU. The X items are excluded  from the USA.

There is a live link to download the pdf seedlist on the seedlist page, once you've logged in.

The portal is new and inevitably there will be some errors in what is a complex system and we will correct errors as soon as we can. If you spot further problems it would help us greatly if you could notify us using the Contact email link. These come directly to us and we can respond quickly.

Hope you all enjoy the seedlist. Orders will open on Saturday ;D ;D
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
Ok. It has been fixed - all displays correctly now. Happy selecting!
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 05:10:01 PM »
This year the  seedlists on the new SRGC Seed Site  do not  contain the facility of a google link to each plant  to help members  make their  choices. In future years the  Seed Team will  provide this  to the Exchange itself, we hope.

I am pleased to announce that Fred has prepared a seedlist  with links to google search so that those wondering about  what  plants might be  so that SRGC members have the same  facility on the SRGC as in previous  years.  You can see that list here : http://srgc.net/seedexchange/searchable/

It will open in a browser window and  you can click on any name to be taken to a  google page of  it - returning to the list  to continue  your  researches at any time.
 We hope this will be of assistance to  SRGC members in choosing their seed - and our THANKS have been sent to Fred!

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 05:50:39 PM »
This year the  seedlists on the new SRGC Seed Site  do not  contain the facility of a google link to each plant  to help members  make their  choices. In future years the  Seed Team will  provide this  to the Exchange itself, we hope.

I am pleased to announce that Fred has prepared a seedlist  with links to google search so that those wondering about  what  plants might be  so that SRGC members have the same  facility on the SRGC as in previous  years.  You can see that list here : http://srgc.net/seedexchange/searchable/

It will open in a browser window and  you can click on any name to be taken to a  google page of  it - returning to the list  to continue  your  researches at any time.
 We hope this will be of assistance to  SRGC members in choosing their seed - and our THANKS have been sent to Fred!

It seemed a shame this facility  had not been included; it was in the old system from day one and was much used by members. It only took and hour or two to write the required software, so no problem at all Maggi.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 07:54:13 PM »
Do members who received a postal seed list in the past continue to do so or do we have to register?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2018, 08:15:20 PM »
Do members who received a postal seed list in the past continue to do so or do we have to register?
Hello Ian,  all members who receive their journals by post will receive a paper copy of the Seedlist - this is planned to be at the end of November.

You  can read the  new SRGC Seed Exchange  notes  for members here :
 http://files.srgc.net/seedexchange/SRGC72ndSeedExchangenotes.pdf

Those receiving  paper copies may order  by post or  by registering and ordering online, as you wish.  Online ordering is preferred  by the Seed Team as it makes  things simpler for them, all volunteers, of course.

Members can register  now to be ready  in advance of  the exchange opening.....
https://www.srgcseed.net/home.asp

Please use the  "Contact"  option to contact the Seed Team direct  if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 03:41:01 PM by Maggi Young »

ian mcdonald

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2018, 09:03:29 PM »
Thanks Maggi.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 08:26:39 AM »
Hopefully they go into the postal system today with the exception of Canada where a postal strike has created a tremendous backlog and I was afraid they’d disappear, and I have asked for those to be postponed until it’s safe to send them. Anyone with news about this please pm me.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »
A quick note regarding registration - last night I intended to register since I will have to do it anyway, and browse the seeds list last. As an e-member you are instructed:
"registration for the seed exchange is separate from your membership registration. You must register your e-mail address here, then select the forgotten password option. You will receive an email with a link that will allow you to enter a new password."

On the registration page the only tabs are for 'surname' and 'membership nr'  ??? which I tried with no success, of course.

I also tried to send an email, as instructed and got a big blank page, so I have no idea that the Contact tab works.
Sorry, it seems we are back to the forum again for problems concerning the Seedex.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal