We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus 2008 - Southern Hemisphere  (Read 9373 times)

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
Re: Crocus 2008 - Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 01:28:03 PM »
Lesley, I'm with Tony - this unknown Crocus could be a form of serotinus ssp salzmanii.

But what do I see on some of your nudiflorus petals? I don't dare to use the "v"-word  :-X
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 10:39:55 PM »
Thanks T and T for the ID. In that case, it will be the one I imported from Van Tubergen way back in the 60s. Considering the appalling treatment and neglect it's had over many years, it must have the constitution of an ox. I'll treat it better now.

Oh Thomas! How can you do this to me? I honestly hadn't noticed the marks on the nudiflorus petals, was just so pleased with the purple patch. I'll have a good look today at that lot and others and see what's what. If it is a virus, it's not affecting the vigour at all, but I don't want it spreading to other species. The goulimyi and ser. ssp salz (Mathew gives it as salzmannii, 2 ns)are right beside the nudiflorus.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 01:17:55 AM »
I've found a good patch of C. nudiflorus with NO darker marks at all so have dug the lot and moved it well away from the others and the virused medius. Hope that works to keep them clean.

Here are two whites,

59500-0
Crocus pulchellus albus is new for me this season. It is quite unlike the white C. p. `Zephyr,' kindly identified for me the other day.

59502-1
This I had the year before last from Marcus and it is increasing very well in its little pot and will need to be planted out in the summer. I have it as C. hadriaticus ssp. parnassicus but Mathew doesn't mention that as such, just refers to a pure white form with white filaments and no yellow throat from Mt. Parnassus and this is the one I have. (I've checked the thoat and filaments). Some may think it's just another white crocus but to me it is extra special because it is the ONLY crocus I've come across which has a truly sweet and delicious perfume, even could be called rose-like, as distinct from the rather saffron-like scent of all others. It gave me two seed pods last year as well.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 01:22:20 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 08:25:45 AM »
I've never sniffed a Crocus.  Should I be?  I think I heard reference recently from someone else to nice perfume on one of theirs?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 08:35:06 AM »
I have it as C. hadriaticus ssp. parnassicus but Mathew doesn't mention that as such, just refers to a pure white form with white filaments and no yellow throat from Mt. Parnassus and this is the one I have. (I've checked the thoat and filaments). Some may think it's just another white crocus but to me it is extra special because it is the ONLY crocus I've come across which has a truly sweet and delicious perfume, even could be called rose-like, as distinct from the rather saffron-like scent of all others. It gave me two seed pods last year as well.

Lesley, ssp parnassicus was first mentioned in the Crocus update from 2001 by Brian Mathew.
1982, when he wrote his monograph, he classified no subspecies of hadriaticus.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 08:54:58 AM »
Here's another couple of flowers on Crocus goulimyi "Albus".
59546-0

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 10:51:15 AM »
Paul, Maggi would tell you that you should be sniffing all your flowers! Lots of Crocus have lovely scents.
Of course some frits are stinky, but there is so often a pleasant surprise to reward the nose.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 12:52:17 PM »
Ian,

I'll keep it in mind.  ;D

Fermi,

I have buds starting to appear on some of the different goulimyi.  The named variants always seem strange to me in that the straight species shoots the flowers straight out of the ground, whereas those like 'Mani White' and another superior form to the normal species (no idea of name) set up a little bunch of leaves before the flowers appear.  I always wonder why the straight species (or the form we have here in Aus as the "straight species") sends up flowers without leaves but the named ones seem to have leaves above ground before flowers appear?

I noted this evening that the Crocus mathewii has another bud up on it now (just in time for me to miss it all week at work) plus C. laevigatus (also in the new crocus garden) have a couple of buds up.  The front longiflorus still has it's flower out, looking taller every day.  I would imagine that a good clump of it would be absolutely stunning given the size and height of the flowers.  I am SO looking forward to seeing how everything flowers once they've had a year or two in the new garden to build up size.  More noses are starting to appear in various places in the new garden so there should be more flowers coming along soon from other species as well.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 05:00:03 AM »
Thanks Thomas. I have the 1982 edition only so hadn't caught up with the update.

Paul, my lavender goulimyi flowers with the beginnings of its leaves, not naked. Might just be a matter of different climates, yours coming a bit earlier than mine.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 06:41:18 AM »
Lesley,

Once they're in flower there are the beginnings of leaves present, but I've never noticed leaves well before flowering, whereas with the other varieties the leaves literally appear a week or two before the flowers push up.  I can just see buds starting to appear in the middle of the leaf sets now, whereas with the straight species they're all up and in flower in a rush I find.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 10:33:32 PM »
Super pictures from everybody!
Best wishes
Armin

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 10:38:05 PM »
A couple more new ones this autumn.

62121-0
Crocus ochroleucus `Valerie Finnis' is pristine and pure, a great improvement in substance and colour over the thin petalled, muddy white of my originals.

62123-1
Crocus niveus, lilac form. Yes, really. The inside is pure white but in bud, and looking down on it, there's the faintest flush of palest lilac. I know it varies and I believe Marcus' sale corms are from his own seed. I saw some at his place a year ago with a strong lilac colour on the outside, so I guess it's a matter of luck what you get. I'll try some more next summer.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 09:39:55 AM »
Nice ones Lesley.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 10:57:16 AM »
Lesley,

That 'Valerie Finnis' is great, isn't it?  I think I might have bought that this year, but will have to check my records to confirm that.  Sounds sort of familiar!  ;D  Too many purchases, too few remaining braincells in my case!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 06:54:54 PM »
Gets worse the older you get Paul :(

... oops that's 2000, is the cake in the post Lesley?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal