We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: How to explain primula hybrids to a US inspector?  (Read 3457 times)

bibliofloris

How to explain primula hybrids to a US inspector?
« on: July 10, 2018, 01:56:53 AM »
So, I knew that the process for importing seeds to the US had gotten much more complicated since the last time I did it. I applied for my small lots of seed permit, followed all the instructions, and placed a small order with Barnhaven for some primrose seeds.

Now, I've been contacted by the US inspector, who is requiring the genus & species for each packet within 10 days, and tells me he must otherwise presume my seeds are endangered species and seize them.

I've contacted Barnhaven, and I'm sure they'll do their best to help me explain what jack-in-the-green and juliana primroses are to the inspector. But if anyone has dealt with this before, or has any tips, resources, or sympathy, I'd really appreciate it. I understood not to order unidentified or mixed primula species, but I didn't realize garden hybrids would be such an issue. I support protecting endangered species, but I'd also really like to receive my non-endangered seeds.

Here's what I ordered (all seeds):
Border auriculas
Show & Alpine auriculas
Striped auriculas
Barnhaven Doubles
Enthusiast's Seed Mix (hose-in-hose, gallygaskins, jack-in-the-green, etc.)
Jack-in-the-green seed mix
Gold-Laced Polyanthus
Silver-Laced Polyanthus
Primula juliana seed mix

Is Primula x polyanthus the currently accepted name for the polyanthas? What about the julianas?

Thanks for any help,
Kelly
Kelly Jones
near Seattle, Washington state, USA (US zone 8b)

bibliofloris

Re: How to explain primula hybrids to a US inspector?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 04:11:21 PM »
Replying to my own post to say that Barnhaven answered right away with a nice letter explaining them to the inspector — hopefully that will do the trick!
Kelly Jones

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 04:22:01 PM »
Would be interesting to know how Barnhaven explained them, Kelly.
I'd have  said they were all forms of garden naturalised  forms of non-endangered species like vulgaris and auricula. Would that be enough?

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graeme

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 06:24:36 PM »
Makes me wonder what Google is for........................

Longer they spend with them more likely they are to be endangered
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 07:57:00 PM »
Makes me wonder what Google is for........................

To maximise income as a result of advertising and to pay as little Corporation Tax in the UK as possible?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

bibliofloris

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »
Would be interesting to know how Barnhaven explained them, Kelly.
I'd have  said they were all forms of garden naturalised  forms of non-endangered species like vulgaris and auricula. Would that be enough?

Similarly to that, yes, with P. veris and P. elatior too (and P. juliae for the julianas.)
Fingers crossed it will be enough! If not, me and my reference books will be headed down to the port...

To be fair to the inspector (now that I’m not freaking out quite so much), I hear their role covers animals, food service, and a variety of other things as well, so it was perhaps unreasonable for me to expect them to know all about primroses.

Lessons learned before the Seed Exchange, I suppose!
Kelly
Kelly Jones

Sally

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 05:23:37 AM »
Kelly, I hope you're a member of the American Primrose Society; if not, I encourage you to consider joining. The seed exchange alone is worth the membership dues and is a great way to obtain seeds without the APHIS issues.

Sally
South of Lewiston, Idaho  Zone 5ish

bibliofloris

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 07:21:56 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Sally - I’m not yet, but will consider it!
Kelly
Kelly Jones

bibliofloris

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 01:49:35 AM »
All my primrose seeds arrived safely today — phew!!

In case anyone else is nervous about this, Barnhaven was lovely and helpful throughout. In the future, I would probably ask them to note ‘Primula hybrids, all seeds originated in France’ or something similar on the invoice, to hopefully save them extra work later. Apparently “primroses” did not equal “primula” for the inspector.
Kelly Jones

MarcR

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 01:04:12 AM »
I know that bibliofloris has not posted in about 2 years.

For whatever help it may be, to those still here, Monica Little at the Seatac PPQ is very knowledgable, friendly, and helpful.  For anyone curious Seatac is an abbreviation for Seatle-Tacoma; but it is actually the name of a town midway between them.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal