Specific Families and Genera > Primula

How to explain primula hybrids to a US inspector?

<< < (2/2)

bibliofloris:

--- Quote from: Maggi Young on July 10, 2018, 04:22:01 PM ---Would be interesting to know how Barnhaven explained them, Kelly.
I'd have  said they were all forms of garden naturalised  forms of non-endangered species like vulgaris and auricula. Would that be enough?

--- End quote ---

Similarly to that, yes, with P. veris and P. elatior too (and P. juliae for the julianas.)
Fingers crossed it will be enough! If not, me and my reference books will be headed down to the port...

To be fair to the inspector (now that I’m not freaking out quite so much), I hear their role covers animals, food service, and a variety of other things as well, so it was perhaps unreasonable for me to expect them to know all about primroses.

Lessons learned before the Seed Exchange, I suppose!
Kelly

Sally:
Kelly, I hope you're a member of the American Primrose Society; if not, I encourage you to consider joining. The seed exchange alone is worth the membership dues and is a great way to obtain seeds without the APHIS issues.

Sally
South of Lewiston, Idaho  Zone 5ish

bibliofloris:
Thanks for the recommendation, Sally - I’m not yet, but will consider it!
Kelly

bibliofloris:
All my primrose seeds arrived safely today — phew!!

In case anyone else is nervous about this, Barnhaven was lovely and helpful throughout. In the future, I would probably ask them to note ‘Primula hybrids, all seeds originated in France’ or something similar on the invoice, to hopefully save them extra work later. Apparently “primroses” did not equal “primula” for the inspector.

MarcR:
I know that bibliofloris has not posted in about 2 years.

For whatever help it may be, to those still here, Monica Little at the Seatac PPQ is very knowledgable, friendly, and helpful.  For anyone curious Seatac is an abbreviation for Seatle-Tacoma; but it is actually the name of a town midway between them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version