We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: silverhills seeds  (Read 5022 times)

P. Kohn

silverhills seeds
« on: June 28, 2018, 07:45:56 AM »
Does anyone know what is happening to the Silverhills Seeds business ?  The website is unchanged and gives no indication of whether the employees have found any way of continuing after the awful tragedy of Rod and Rachel's murder. Presumably there is an enormous seed collection which could still be distributed even if no more collection was undertaken ?

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Re: silverhills seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 08:51:56 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44488332

i don't think the seeds stock will be distributed, a really sad story.
North of France

GordonT

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:48:18 PM »
RE: Silverhill Seeds Future... I  emailed them in May,  to express my condolences at the tragic loss of Rodney and Rachel, and also to comment that many plantspeople around the world were worried about what was to become of the business. Ondine sent me a reply, thanking me for the thoughts and message. Here is a quote from her:

"The business is carrying on, it might end up being slightly smaller, but we are carrying on.  The final outcome will only be known once the investigation is finalised, meanwhile we are trading.

I have worked for Rachel for 20 years and am a horticulturist, I will not be able to collect seeds myself as I will need to keep the office going (only ever Rachel and I in the office), but I have help and seed collectors out there who are willing to collect for us."

So, Silverhill continues to function, please do not refrain from sending them your business.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 12:27:32 AM »
That is good news Gordon, in the face of such horror and tragedy. One can only hope they are able to recover from the ghastly events of the preceding months. If we can support them with orders and kindly messages, maybe they will be able to rise above their calamity and carry on to a successful outcome for the future.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Darren

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 03:44:24 PM »
Good news indeed Gordon and thank you for letting us know. I did wonder because something appeared in the 'new species' part of their website a week or two back after it had been empty for months.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

P. Kohn

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 03:59:59 PM »
Gordon,

Thanks so much for relaying this information. Great news that they are planning to keep going.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 09:31:35 AM »
Pretty good new indeed.
North of France

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 08:31:20 PM »
Please see this post  re a memorial for Rod and Rachel  Saunders:
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=16118.msg394205#msg394205
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ArnoldT

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 05:52:17 PM »
The Board of the Pacific Bulb Society has authorized the public availability of the Memorial issue of their publication The Bulb Garden for Rachel and Rod Saunders.

You can go here to view it.

https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/tbg/v16n2.pdf

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 10:11:57 AM »
Thank you, I enjoyed reading it Arnold. It brought back memories of a colour filled extravaganza of a talk by Rod and Rachel at a SRGC Discussion weekend some years ago.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 11:55:16 AM »
I  ought to have made  post here earlier about the August issue of IRG e-magazine which included a tribute to the Saunders   :-[

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2018Aug301535657804IRG104-August2018.pdf

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 12:50:08 PM »
A reminder that  Silverhills  Seeds  continue  in  business ....

http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/Newsletter.asp

P. Kohn

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 05:48:27 AM »
I had intended posting this same link. Ondine is carrying on the business which is great news for us as it gives us access to new species for the large bed dedicated to South African Plants and to the memory of Rod and Rachel Saunders which we have recently created in Sheffield Botanic Gardens. Planting only began in May (having spent much of the winter preparing the bed) but already we have around 170 species in the ground. Too many to list but if anyone has succeeded with lesser known South Africans in the UK we still have spaces to fill. We would welcome ideas. We are only planting species.

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 12:34:59 PM »
Ondine at Silverhill seeds, aware of the reservations of some people to order from them given all the new regulations, has put in place a system to make it easy for UK growers to get seed from them with all the relevant regulations being met. She pools orders from the UK, sends them in one parcel, with a single covering phytosanitary certificate, by courier to her son who lives in Aberdeen, who then sends the individual orders out in the UK post. She makes a charge to each person over and above the cost of the seeds to cover the internal UK postage and a share of the cost of the phyto and the courier. So please do keep on ordering from them and help to keep the business thriving.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 05:49:53 PM »
Thanks Paul.  Likewise for EU customers, although that may have to change after 1 January.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal