We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Vaccinium species  (Read 2824 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Vaccinium species
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:52:12 PM »
On Tuesday I visited the Vaccinium collection at the Irving Centre of Acadia University with Barry Starling. While he and the curator chatted away I took some pictures which may be of interest and missed the names. The first is V. hirsutum and the fruit on it was very tasty; this plant was in the ground as it is thoroughly hardy.  The rest are tropical.

johnw
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:52:45 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

Re: Vaccinium species
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 05:54:13 PM »
The white one was particularly interesting. I believe the curator of the collection said the seeds were naked. The fruit tasted much like lychees and the biggest ripe ones I'm afraid we ate - they were 1.5"-2" in diameter.

johnw
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:56:58 PM by johnw »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:43:56 PM »
These are VERY interesting, John, many thanks for showing some quite unknown types 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:31:12 PM »
I hope you saved enough for some seed John ;D

I've always had a yen for V. praestans with its beautiful big red fruit. Does anyone grow it? It was in a seedlist 3 or 4 years ago and I received a few seeds before I was in the habit of consulting the Bio Index, but MAF did the dirty and removed it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:33:15 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 11:22:38 PM »

I've always had a yen for V. praestans with its beautiful big red fruit. Does anyone grow it? It was in a seedlist 3 or 4 years ago and I received a few seeds before I was in the habit of consulting the Bio Index, but MAF did the dirty and removed it.

Leslie -

I got seed of V. hirsutum and if you want some I can send it. 

I got V. praestans from Jim Sutherland at Ardfearn in 2000. It was in a 2" pot and has gone beserk in the garden here, it has invaded the peat walls, through the Cassiopes and dwarf rhododendrons and is now tackling the lawn. I got it for its' blazing autumn foliage but it doesn't colour up at all that well here and we have incredible fall foliage here. I think if it were in a lean gravelly mix it would colour well in full sun.

It has berries ripe now and has decided it is going to set a second crop. Seed if you like.

I got it from the SRGC seedex - SRGC94-3974 as well, only one survived.

johnw
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 11:29:48 PM by johnw »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 01:20:47 AM »
No thanks John. If it spreads so rampantly, I'd better not, besides, as I mentioned it's not on the Bio Index.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal