We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tulipa sylvestris  (Read 1702 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Tulipa sylvestris
« on: April 12, 2008, 04:04:04 PM »
This week we were visiting friends in Switzerland and were attended to a place, where we could see an old habitat of Tulipa sylvestris, which we never would have found on our own.
I know there are more places where it grows, but I had never seen this tulip in the “wild” before.
It was a very interesting place too, in the middle of the meadows just on a hill under a beautiful formed tree.
There were not many flowers but there must have been more than 1000 bulbs on a few square meters. I believe this is caused by a lack of potassium and maybe other nutrients.
Here some pictures and also two from our friends garden, who told me there is a difference between T. sylvestis in the trade, which are more robust. But the cultivated stock seems to come from Tebriz in Iran and is not the European form.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal