We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula Scotica  (Read 2057 times)

drj123

Primula Scotica
« on: May 09, 2018, 08:57:42 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Dave, not been on the site very long but have seen some great stuff already. Can anyone help me here. I have a Primula scotica, I am pretty sure it is setting seed, it flowered in its second season. If I am lucky to get seed, would I need to store it, and when and how would it best be planted.   Regards Dave Jordan, bye the way, I live in Bristol if that helps.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Primula Scotica
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 09:05:42 PM »
Hello drj, I'm really no expert but I'd be tempted to save the seed until September before sowing them when temperatures are beginning to cool.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 09:15:13 PM »
Hello Dave! Here in Aberdeen I'd sow the Primula scotica seed as soon as you harvest it, when the capsule looks about to burst.  A slightly acidic  mix is  helpful -  but  loam and sand mix  with some ericaceous compost will  achieve that.   Only cover the seed very lightly and put the pots in a cool place to germinate.  Down there in the South West I'd think a shady  north wall or under a hedge would be a suitable place to keep the pot cool. If you have a spot that doesn't get above about  15 degrees but is  slightly sunny, that would be okay. If it gets hotter, then I'd go for a shadier spot.  Keep the compost  moist and with a bit of luck, the seed will germinate in about a month - though it can take longer.  If you cannot provide a cool spot, then waiting till Autumn is a better idea and saves the  over-wintering  problem for tiny plants. 
Once you got  little ones growing, take care to protect them from slugs. Don't be  in a hurry to prick them out too soon.  Better to let them grow a bit- to have  four leaves,   to  gain some strength first.  The plants will not tolerate  heat - much like other Scots!  Moist soil but well drained is essential.

Hope this helps.  Maggi
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

drj123

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 09:36:51 PM »
Thanks Dave and maggi for getting back so soon, thanks for the advice, makes good sense about the warm weather. Regards Dave.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »
Dave, the natural habitat for P. scotica is on sand at the coast. Bare ground or very short turf seems to be best. That is where I have seen the plants in the wild.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal