We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sax. "Southside Seedling"  (Read 1792 times)

brianw

Sax. "Southside Seedling"
« on: May 04, 2018, 11:37:51 AM »
I have had a rather large congested neglected pot of this for some years. A month or so ago I noticed it was very limp. Vine weevil, of course. Having split it all up I now have a seed tray of mostly individual rosettes, many with passable root systems left. Of course some are now going to flower. I know these will die after, but my question, is this self fertile or does it need another Sax to produce seed? If it selfs will they still be Sax. "Southside Seedling" ?
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Sax. "Southside Seedling"
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:27:45 PM »
Hi Brian, I think one question is are you sure it was the true 'Southside Seedling' to start with? Malcolm McGregor says ""....Original plant from Gerald Sutton, 1951, now diluted by many plants and generations raised from seed. Saxifraga Southside Seedling Group now established to accomodate plants of this type.""
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

brianw

Re: Sax. "Southside Seedling"
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 02:48:25 PM »
Hi Brian, I think one question is are you sure it was the true 'Southside Seedling' to start with? Malcolm McGregor says ""....Original plant from Gerald Sutton, 1951, now diluted by many plants and generations raised from seed. Saxifraga Southside Seedling Group now established to accomodate plants of this type.""

How would I know? I forget the original source.---- Just found the label. It came from RHS Wisley Garden Centre
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:54:56 PM by brianw »
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal