We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bearded Iris 2018  (Read 9283 times)

Véronique Macrelle

Re: Bearded Iris 2018
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »
if that can help to compare here is my own Iris reichenbachii (Romania) bloomed in April this year.

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2018, 04:48:45 PM »
There are a few that look similar that I have found, but I still think I reichenbachii.

Iris attica flower can look the same except it is virtually stemless, with their floral tub coming from the base of the plant. 

Iris suaveolens has the same shape.  It can easily grow straight leaves in an unnatural environment, but when grown in more austere conditions, leaves will be strongly falcate.  In my experience, suaveolens never has even close to the length of flower stem that yours does.  However reichenbachii does.  Reichenbachii is more often with a netted color pattern, too, and the mix of colors is common.  Yours is quite nice.  When I hybridize yellow with purple, I get a lot of very drab and dirty coloring.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »
F1 hybrids of yellow  x purple  might be  mud-coloured, Rick - but  perhaps  F2  and later generations will be  prettier?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2018, 09:24:06 PM »
You're definitely right, Maggie.  As you well know, this is common practice among hybridizers.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal