We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A random selection of photos flowering now  (Read 1300 times)

ArdfearnAli

• Ardfearn Nursery
A random selection of photos flowering now
« on: April 13, 2018, 08:52:31 AM »
Hi there, had a spare minute so took some random photos of plants in flower. Sorry about the picture quality. Used an old camera which I keep in the potting shed.

Alasdair
Eunomia oppositifolia, Primula aureate, Pulsatilla vernalis, Daphne blagyana, Anemonlla thalictriodes green dragon
612211-0612209-1612207-2612205-3612203-4
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:54:40 AM by ArdfearnAli »

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Re: A random selection of photos flowering now
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 09:00:28 AM »
Fantastic...Alasdair. I suppose the first photo shows Aethionema oppositifolium? The Pulsatilla is also beautiful. My admiration...as always. 😊

Best regards
Thomas

ArdfearnAli

• Ardfearn Nursery
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 09:21:39 AM »
Yes the first is Aethionema oppositifolia. I have it as Eunomia but I believe it may have changed back to Aethionema. It does very well in the alpine house and does do quite well in the raised bed although tends to be later in flower and sometimes has to recover a bit especially after a long winter. I noticed this year it has a honey like scent.
 I haven't quite got the hang of pictures/titles yet but at least I have learnt how to post them. The pulsatilla was one I grew from seed only two years ago which I found in the surplus seed box that is available at the SRGC shows. It was wild collected and I sowed it in a warm greenhouse where it germinated in only a few weeks. I have hand pollinated it this year so hope to get some good seed later on. Its one of my favourite plants. I am hand pollinating anything I can as we have very few insects/bees at the moment.

Alasdair

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 11:41:59 AM »
Crikey -  those are  great pix from an old camera from a potting shed!
Very few pollinators around  here in Aberdeen as yet   - can't blame them - the weather is so changeable and the winds, when they blow, are VERY cold.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ArdfearnAli

• Ardfearn Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 01:01:33 PM »
Its a very old Nikon Coolpix. Had it for years. The weather here today is cold and wet although yesterday it was very sunny and down to a T shirt if you were out of the wind!
Aladair

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 07:02:04 PM »
Yes, very beautiful pictures, and not to mention plants!

Especially it warms my heart to see the Daphne blagayana in flower :)
One year I got 2 seeds from AGS seedex, if I remember well. I looked at them in despair, but obtain one seedling which survived. Still small but there is hope :) I think it's an under appreciated Daphne - from my North American perspective of course.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

ArdfearnAli

• Ardfearn Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »
I grow it in dappled shade with plenty of leaf mould etc in my garden. Its not the tidiest of plants but the scent is superb. I also have it doing well in a north facing raised bed. In pots it tends to live in the net shade tunnel. I did hand pollinate it a few years ago and sent the seeds to the SRGC and AGS. Perhaps you got some of them? I am hand pollinating the ones I have in flower which I managed to root from cuttings last year and hopefully get some seed to distribute around. I will post on the forum if I am successful.

Alasdair

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal