We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Zealand Arisaema information needed  (Read 2118 times)

DavMac

New Zealand Arisaema information needed
« on: April 07, 2008, 09:13:50 AM »
I have had some Arisaema nepenthoides stopped by MAF because it isn't listed on the Plant Biosecurity Index.

I have URLs to show that the species is growing and being sold in New Zealand now but I may also need to supply ERMA with information that this species was in New Zealand prior to July 1998. If anyone can supply me with information it would be a great help.

Thanks,
David
David McConachie, Korokoro, New Zealand

Jeffnz

Re: New Zealand Arisaema information needed
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 04:18:24 AM »
The best person in NZ to assist you may be Barry Sligh at Tauton Gardens, Governors Bay. From what I have read Barry has been an avid collector of the species for many years and probably has the best collection of the species here in NZ.
Good luck with MAF, in my experience they can be very difficult to release quarantined seed unless it appears on their 'approved list' for importation.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »
A very warm welcome to both DaveMac and to JeffNZ! Great to have you here.... best wishes for success in convincing MAF that you should be allowed the seeds.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 10:08:55 PM »
Barry has certainly had A. nepenthoides for several years and so too has the Dunedin Botanic Gardens, who brought in seed a few years ago, from a Chinese expedition in which both Barry and the guy from Hawkes Bay took part. His name escapes me but I'm sure you'll know who I mean. He had a big nursery at Clivesomething. I don't remember the date of this expedition but I'm pretty sure they must have had some kind of special permit because a lot of stuff came in not on the bio index, some still not identified.

My own plants came from Barry (1) for $40 and from Dn Bot Gardens (12) for $3 each. I've had seed a couple of times and could send you a little if you need it. It was sown last weekend but I could still find some below the grit.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

DavMac

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:57:58 AM »
Lesley,
Thanks for your kind offer of seed, and for your information. I have passed it and other correspondents' info onto my contact at ERMA. It looks like he is making good progress at his end, so I won't ask you to disturb your seed.

I hope that next season I will have a better seed set than this one. I have no problem with A. consanguineum each year but while I got a couple of hundred seeds off my A. franchetianum plants 2 seasons ago I don't think I will have any this time. I'm not sure what went wrong.

David

Jeffnz

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 11:22:55 PM »
David
Out of interest did you have to pay or any of the inter actions with any the plant authorities dealing with this issue?
Jeff

DavMac

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 01:48:01 AM »
Jeff,
At present I am going for  Non-statuatory "Present in New Zealand" advice, ie written advice that the organism was in New Zealand prior to 29 July 1998. There is no charge for this.

David

Jeffnz

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 08:51:01 PM »
David
Thx for the explanation. I have had similar issues around importing hellebore seed which arrives here labeled as hybridus, as the biosecurity list only allows for species seed to be imported. The fact that al hybridus are derived from the 'approved' species and that the list has not been updated to include some of the newer species classifications is of concern. In addition many of the 'new' species are in fact reclassifications of species that are already on the list.
I am pleased to hear that you do not have to pay out on this occassion, the cost of getting an ERMA approval for a new species is high and for amateur gardeners prohibitive.
Best of luck
Jeff

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal