We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Inducing seed development with GA3  (Read 1169 times)

partisangardener

• Luther Art
Inducing seed development with GA3
« on: February 15, 2018, 08:25:42 AM »
Since reading about apomictic fructification, induced  by GA3 in dioecious  species, I was thinking a little.
Since it worked in a few hermaphroditic plants too, why not try with some plants of the lily family. Many of them need different genes in the pollen to induce fructification..
Some species of the tulips (Tulipa sprengeri) or lily (Lilium pumilum) are able to develop seeds  with their own pollen. Most not.

I think we could try to overcome this obstacle of having only one clone of such e non self fertile species by an experiment with GA3. Since it is now easy to be obtained and not that costly.
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

Jan Jeddeloh

Re: Inducing seed development with GA3
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 04:34:08 AM »
This is a fascinating idea.  How is the GA3 used for this purpose?  Applied to the stigma, pollen or what?  And in what concentration?

Thanks,

Jan Jeddeloh
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 09:53:56 PM »
I dont know but will try
Axel

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 12:57:04 AM »
Lilium pumilum is known to produce apomictic seed (i.e. not requiring pollen).  Even if fertilized with interspecific crosses, results can still produce some or all apomictic seed.  I haven't found any verification that Lilium pumilum is self fertile (i.e. using its own pollen).  Without a full scientific approach, how would one know?
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 02:07:18 PM »
I will try it on some more difficult lilies. For example L. speciosum, aureum etc.
If I can get my little seedling of L. gloriosoides decides to grow further I will have a try on them.
Axel

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal