We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January 2018  (Read 20491 times)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Re: Crocus January 2018
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2018, 10:20:47 AM »
i'm speechless Janis  :o
Luc that's a nice collection you show us.
North of France

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2018, 04:30:41 PM »
Crocus sieberi sublimis and weldenii, sun is needed they don't open
North of France

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2018, 04:32:38 PM »
Crocus sieberi sublimis and weldenii, sun is needed they don't open
Who can blame them?!   More sun would be  a treat for us all - too wet and dark here.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jacek

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2018, 09:38:43 PM »
Today was my first garden tour this spring (OK, we don't have spring here, yet). No pictures, though - camera does not want to cooperate with crutches.

Snowdrops and first C. coum are open. Winter aconites in yellow buds - nice, but very early here.

Oddly enough, the first fully developed crocus ready to open, waiting for the first glimpse of spring is C. etruscus. No other crocus show any visible flower buds. In the previous years earlier were C. korolkowii and C. ancyrensis. Now I can't see them - may be they perished, they don't like my garden. I have two clones of C. etruscus: Zwanenburg of commercial origin and Rosalind from Latvia (but not from Janis). I cannot see any difference in flowers, but the only developed buds are on Rosalind. Is it possible that they differ so much in timing? Or I have something else, not Rosalind?
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

Jacek

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2018, 09:41:57 PM »
Forgot to add - all your pics are so nice. In my garden commercial plants still dominate, nothing very special. Still nice though.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2018, 04:45:04 PM »
Crocus tommasinianus 'Bobbo' - I got this form from Desirable Plants and this is the information they give about it: "A distinctive old cultivar of the classic slender flowered spring crocus whose leaves are quite well expanded at flowering time. Flowers lilac-pink with a white throat and white tips. The outsides of the closed flowers are wonderfully pale and pearly, a great consolation if happens hit its peak in a run of cloudy days. Named by E.A. Bowles ‘to remind me of the sharp-eyed boy who was the first to spot it’ and given to us by John Foster who, as a lad, met EAB himself."

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal