We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scilla peruviana, encourage flowering  (Read 2960 times)

brianw

Scilla peruviana, encourage flowering
« on: February 05, 2017, 04:34:37 PM »
My experience with these is they flower well for 1 or 2 years then clump up and stop. What is the best way to treat them? Lift every year or 2, or is it my growing conditions. I have 1 group of 7 young plants, 6 of which are flowering for the first time, but another older group with no flowers. They usually get some frost damage each year at this time of year but recover OK later before they flower.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:33:13 PM by brianw »
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

John85

Re: Scilla peruviana, encorage flowering
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 04:38:05 PM »
Brian,I think it is your growing conditions
I have three plants for 6 or 7 years and they flower every year.Never move them or feed them except for a fresh layer of compost every year.
They grow in a rather heavy soil.As the winters here are a bit milder there is usually no frost damage.
Summers are hot and dry.

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
Re: Scilla peruviana, encourage flowering
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 03:06:50 AM »
Hot and dry might be the key I think. They are very happy here in Adelaide and thrive on neglect. Might be a struggle for you to achieve where you are brian. Plant it on a mound of sand or something.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

fixpix

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 06:42:16 PM »
That's a good question. I got 3-4 bulbs about a year ago, planted in a pot (trough) and 3 of them bloomed. Now they all multiplied, i have a bunch of leaves. Will have to see if any of them blooms again. Will report when i have news.
Some of my creations :)
http://edenium.sunphoto.ro/

Menai

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 11:24:54 PM »
I have had bulbs (bought from local Garden Centre) for ten years and have found they flower rather at random. I have had flowers in November and in May! They have been moved from pot to bed and back again - this last to protect from the rabbits. Waiting to see what happens this year.

Erle in Anglsey
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

brianw

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 07:12:01 PM »
A 3 year old clump in full sun has been caught by frost and I can't see any buds. Younger singles alongside look better with 2 buds showing. The other group on the N side of the house has not been frosted and all but 1 have large buds.
A neighbour's several years old clump, with maybe 20+ centres had only 3 flowers last year I think. Can't see any buds on it yet. The soil here is sticky heavy chalk.

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »
Isn't it a bit early to see flower buds ? My Scilla peruviana flower every year (end of april) with many stalks but I can't see any flower bud yet, maybe in march. You have maybe a very early clone that may suffer from frost. Here, it has already survive by -18°C and no frost damage this year with -10.

Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

brianw

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 11:34:20 PM »
A 3 year old clump in full sun has been caught by frost and I can't see any buds. Younger singles alongside look better with 2 buds showing. The other group on the N side of the house has not been frosted and all but 1 have large buds.
A neighbour's several years old clump, with maybe 20+ centres had only 3 flowers last year I think. Can't see any buds on it yet. The soil here is sticky heavy chalk.

A year on; for me. Single bulbs form flower buds earlier than bulbs with offsets, which have much more upright growth. Maybe it is the new side growth shading the growing centre that retards the bud formation. My first bud, on a single flat rosette, is showing.
I bought some "alba" forms last autumn. Are they as hardy as the normal blue form?
A form sold as var. beige, ssp. hughii is very slow in a pot, after 3 years. Is it a difficult grower or am I starving it and it should be in the garden?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal