We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris setosa and Iris hookeri  (Read 5075 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Iris setosa and Iris hookeri
« on: February 01, 2018, 12:31:03 PM »
Thanks for these photos Gabriela.  For slow learners like me could you please elaborate on the key differences?
I admired them greatly in Newfoundland and southern Labrador but never got around to differentiating reliably :-[
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Iris setosa and Iris hookeri
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »
I would like to clarify because it was mentioned here and not for the first time - the case of Iris setosa, which is different from Iris hookeri (syn. Iris setosa var. canadensis for those who don't accept I. hookeri).
These NA Irises are mixed up in the trades, seedex, etc.... to the point of no return probably. Certainly not using the proper names has contributed to this situation. They are distinct though:

Iris setosa

Iris hookeri
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »
I am a bit confused now, also.  I grew this from wild Iris setosa seed from the Kenai pennisula, Alaska.

Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »
Thanks for these photos Gabriela.  For slow learners like me could you please elaborate on the key differences?
I admired them greatly in Newfoundland and southern Labrador but never got around to differentiating reliably :-[

I'm  slow learner as well when it comes to irises Ashley. In all fairness, only the fact I provide seeds made me to look more into this.

It is very probably that you admired Iris hookeri - when not in flower is not very easy to tell apart, but there are differences:
see in Flora of North America
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=242101705

When in flower - 1-2 flowers/stem (I. setosa 2-3) and  petals "much reduced to insignificant, involute or tubular rudiments, 1–2 cm, apex with short bristle".
There are other details as well, true that my pictures don't show enough.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 05:53:07 PM »
I am a bit confused now, also.  I grew this from wild Iris setosa seed from the Kenai pennisula, Alaska.

Yours, if only after the distribution is I. setosa Rick and of course the fruiting stems with the "usually 2 flowers/stem". As well, there are many other details which can't be observed in a picture.

My picture with I. setosa is a cultivated form, and normal to differ from yours which is from wild accession.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 08:39:13 PM »
It is very probably that you admired Iris hookeri - when not in flower is not very easy to tell apart, but there are differences:
see in Flora of North America
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=242101705

When in flower - 1-2 flowers/stem (I. setosa 2-3) and  petals "much reduced to insignificant, involute or tubular rudiments, 1–2 cm, apex with short bristle".
There are other details as well, true that my pictures don't show enough.
Thanks Gabriela.  Yes it seems that I. hookeri is widespread both in Newfoundland & southern Labrador, especially in coastal areas.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 08:43:12 PM »
However is this Iris setosa, growing near St. Johns?   I. versicolor?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:13:31 PM by ashley »

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 09:09:18 PM »
Could the last one be Iris versicolor ?
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 10:06:34 PM »
Perhaps so Yvain, because the Digital Flora of Newfoundland & Labrador Vascular Plants doesn't list I. setosa at all (apart from var. canadensis as a synonym for I. hookeri). 
However without knowing the origin I'm still unclear how to distinguish reliably between hookeri & setosa.  For example, reply#5 above shows I. hookeri mostly with branched stems, inconsistent with the Flora of North America description ???

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 10:51:12 PM »
In general, Iris growers identify I. setosa in its many forms as being setosa BECAUSE IT HAS NO STANDARDS, or standards reduced to "bristle-like growths" in which case the setosa shown above (and below) is not setosa at all. Generally too, I. hookeri is accepted as a small-growing form of setosa and so also has no proper standards. I. setosa has a huge natural range almost circumpolar in the northern hemisphere and I myself grow at least 5 separate forms which range from 20 cms to 90 cms in height. I also have a form which I was given as seed, as I. setosa var platyrhyncha which, according to Mathew has larger, more expanded standards than the usual. I have seen the parent plant, quite different from the standardless forms, yet the seedlings have flowered exactly the same as what I know as var. hookeri with no standards. Mathew lists hookeri as a synonym of var. canadensis. So far as confusion is concerned, I'm really not that bothered any more. My original beef (in the thread that Maggi has separated off) was not about confusion between setosa and hookeri but between hookeri and hookeriana which is from the Section Pseudoregelia but regularly turns up in seed lists only to be found to be hookeri or a form of setosa, not hookeriana at all.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 10:55:35 PM »
Regarding the standards apparent on some setosa, I suspect there is hybridising going on that is yet not fully recognised. Certainly it crosses with both versicolor and ensata, the large Japanese irises, in the wild. There are some advantages to getting quite old. In many instances what seemed wildly important a while back, now seems not to matter at all!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Karaba

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 11:01:09 PM »
For example, reply#5 above shows I. hookeri mostly with branched stems, inconsistent with the Flora of North America description ???
I don't see any branch on Iris hookeri in your picture (reply #5). They can have 2-3 flowers by stem grouped in a bract which can look as a branch when theyr are in fruit.
On pictures by Rick (reply #2), Iris seems to be branched

Gabriela

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 11:03:02 PM »
However is this Iris setosa, growing near St. Johns?   I. versicolor?

I think so too Ashley, I. versicolor is given as having leaves 'proeminently veined', and they look like that.
To complicate things even more they say it was shown that "Iris versicolor arose as an amphidiploid between I. virginica (n = 35) and I. hookeri (I. setosa var. canadensis) (n = 19). Back-cross hybrids have been produced both ways."

Re I. hookeri - FA says stems 'usually simple' so not always, and there must be great variability in forms, reason why maybe they didn't agree on the name. Who knows, maybe I. setosa var. canadensis would have been better but I'm in no position to argue about this.
I never even saw it in the wild, so...

I suspect that especially in cultivation there are also various hybrids - I should note that for my posted images.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:19:50 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 11:07:58 PM »
Funny, we were cross posting here  :)

Regarding the standards apparent on some setosa, I suspect there is hybridising going on that is yet not fully recognised. Certainly it crosses with both versicolor and ensata, the large Japanese irises, in the wild. There are some advantages to getting quite old. In many instances what seemed wildly important a while back, now seems not to matter at all!

You are certainly right Lesley!
That's why is so important to have seeds collected in the wild, of well ID plants of course.

Yvain - agree with you.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Karaba

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 11:11:14 PM »
Certainly it crosses with both versicolor and ensata, the large Japanese irises, in the wild.
According to http://www.japan-iris.org/English/wild_iris.html, it also hybridize with I. sanguinea and laevigata in Japan (see also https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/cytologia/78/4/78_449/_pdf)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal