We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pink Eranthis  (Read 7166 times)

gmoen

• Geir Moen's website
Pink Eranthis
« on: April 04, 2008, 11:51:59 PM »
Hi

I have some bulbs of a soft pink Eranthis. I think it is a form of Eranthis sibirica. So far I have been growing this bulbs in a pot, but now it's time to get them into the garden. Does anyone have any experience in how to grow this species in the garden, under what conditions ?

Any advice will be helpful.

Geir
Norway

gmoen

• Geir Moen's website
Re: Pink Eranthis
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 07:48:01 PM »
Well, I think I have sorted out the answer by my self. All you need is a Russian translator..... ;D

Geir

Norway

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 06:55:21 AM »
A pink Eranthis????  :o  Wow!!  have you flowered them yourself?  I think from your original mail that you have had them flowering successfully in pots, but I thought I'd confirm.  How pink actually ARE they?  I knew of the yellow shades, and of course the white which I'm after, but other than a reference to it a month or two ago here on the SRGC I haven't even heard about a pink Eranthis.  Would love to see pictures if you have any?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

gmoen

• Geir Moen's website
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 09:55:32 AM »
Hi

The Eranthis I am refering to is as I said above Eranthis sibirca (syn. Shibateranthis sibirica). They are described as white, but also pink colored forms occure. The flower is 2-3 cm in diameter. This species comes from West- and East Siberia, and is fully hardy. It grows in open forrests in high mountains with some underbrushes. Not so often seen in the open alpine meadows. It flowers April-May, and are "gone" ungerground by June. The bulbs are quite round and about 1 cm in diameter.

There are not much information to find about this species on the internet. I find it qiute similar to Eranths stellata that is another wonderful and hardy species from the Far East. Of this species I only have seedlings, so I have not yet seen it in flower. Non of this two species seems to be easy to get your hand on from comercial nurseries, and neighter do they multiply fast. So sownig seems to be the easiest way to get them.

I have also tried to grow the most common white Eranthis , but this Eranthis pinnatifida from Japan does not seem to be fully hardy in my garden???

I will have to search on my computer to see if I have any pictures of Eranthis sibirica. They have already finished flowering this year without me taking any photos.....shame on me  :-\

(the leaves looks much like E. hyemalis, but the flovers are a bit more open.....and of course PINK  ;) )

Geir
Norway

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 10:19:24 AM »
Thanks Geir.  Sounds fascinating.  Definitely another to try to find seed of at some point (the only way we'd get it here in Australia anyway due to our quarantine).  If you find pics, please post them.... if not, thanks for looking for them for me.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »
Geir,
Very interesting comments concerning some unusual Eranthis/Shibateranthis!
It is strange that they are hardy and still poorly known.
Did you ever come along Megaleranthis saniculifolia from Korea - must be a most interesting and hardy member of the group too?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 10:44:34 AM »
This is what you need translated? Olga can translate it

http://flower.onego.ru/lukov/eranthis.html
Эрантис сибирский — Е. sibiricas (L.) Salisb. = Shibateranthis sibirica (DC.) 
Растет в Западной и Восточной Сибири. Обитает в прирусловых лесах с подлеском из кустарниковой ольхи и на опушках в лесном поясе, в высокогорьях обычно приурочен к приснежным лужайкам, реже отмечается на альпийских и субальпийских лугах и в субальпийских кедровых и кедрово-лиственничных редколесьях. 

Небольшое клубненосное растение, быстро засыхающее после цветения. Стебли одиночные, невысокие, прямые, слабые. Прикорневой лист один, рано увядающий, пластинка его 3—5-пальчато-раздельная, доли до половины трехнадрезанные. В средней части стебля находится обвертка, состоящая из 5—6 цельных или более или менее надрезанных сегментов. Цветки одиночные на верхушке стебля, белые.
Цветет в мае. Вегетацию завершает в июне.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

gmoen

• Geir Moen's website
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 10:58:32 AM »
Mark

I just used a translator on the net for that text, seems to work ok. http://www.freetranslation.com/

Gerd

Thanks.........another species on my hunting list... :P

Geir
Norway

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 12:44:38 PM »
Geir,

Do you know where the pink Eranthis seed could be sourced?  I'd imagine probably out of my price range at the present time, but hoping to be working again soon so might be possible then.  I guess I should ask the same about E. pinnatifidus to buy seed of that too.  Thanks for any help with either of them.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

gmoen

• Geir Moen's website
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 04:20:11 PM »
Hi again

I think you might find both E. sibirica and E. stellata on Alexandra Berkutenko's seedlist. I can not open the link to her page, but maybe it's just down for the moment. You can contact her by e-mail at; berkuten@online.magadan.su (hmmmm....... normaly it should have ended with .ru Why don't you try both just to be sure)

I got my seeeds from Alexandra. You should ask her when it would be the best time to order concerning getting fresh seeds. I'm sorry, but at the present I have no seeds to spare  :-[

For E. pinnatifida I have no clue were tor buy seeds. Maybe someone else could help you out ? 

Geir
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:25:40 PM by gmoen »
Norway

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 08:58:27 PM »
Geir,hope this translation will help you.
Western and Eastern Siberia. Occurs in woods near rivers with alder srubbery and in forest clearings, in mountenous parts occurs near the snow belt, also can be rarely seen on alpine and subalpine medows and subalpine cedar and larch forests.
A small tuberous plant withering quickly after flowering. A tuber carries one short, straight and weak stem. One basal leaf fading early, 3-5 palmate, each lobe 3 dissected. Stem leaf consists of 5-6 integral or dissected segments. One flower per stem, white. Flowering in May. Dormant since June
in Moscow

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 08:59:53 PM »
olegKon... thank you, this helps all of us!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 09:02:32 PM »
always in service, Maggy.
in Moscow

gmoen

• Geir Moen's website
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 09:13:42 PM »
Hi olegKon (Olga??)

Thanks for helping out with the translation. I just love the way this forum brings peoples together.

Geir
Norway

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 09:56:28 PM »
Geir you do realise we all want it now!
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal