We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California  (Read 56392 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #375 on: September 18, 2018, 05:10:18 AM »
My immediate area here is not commercially developed, but farms have been subdivided as children grow up and need their own homestead, at least most of the land is still farmed, and always lots of mostly/native pasturage. You don't have to go far, of course to see more land being swallowed up--  a couple of the towns nearby, and the nearest small city have nearly doubled  since I left home in the early 80's, and areas of farmland we used to drive through on the way into town, now *are * town... The town of Sylvan Lake where we often shop has been really obvious-- one of the main roads into town has lost several farms in the last couple of years.. more strip malls and congested housing developments.... yay!

Your situation seems like El Dorado County back in the 1970's. Back then one walked into the store and saw folks that were your neighbors. It was easy to visit. Now nearly everyone is a stranger. In Sacramento, everyone is a stranger.

It is best for me not to get too caught up in things I can not change i.e. massive development. Unfortunately, sometimes it gets to me.  :P  I feel sad and concerned about young people today. What sort of world will they inherit?   :'(
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #376 on: September 19, 2018, 04:26:46 AM »
BARRETT LAKE
JEEP TRAIL
El Dorado County, California

Part III

Late in the day I arrived at the site of a beautiful meadow, 7,450 ft. (2,271 meters). To arrive and explore the meadow was one of the primary goals of this outing.

I first visited this meadow in the very early 1970’s. It was always a good place to stop, rest, and eat a bit before continuing on to some of the nearby lakes in the area.

I spent a fair amount of time walking the meadow. The mix of meadow grasses and sedges was a bit different than what I usually encounter elsewhere in the area. I found many stands of Tufted Hair Grass, Deschampsia ceaspitosa. I was also surprised to see the Sedge, Carex spectabilis, in the meadow. It is a fairly common species in the area, however I only occasionally find this species in meadows.

The meadow has started to change in recent years. Back in the very early 1970’s cattle were occasionally allowed to graze the meadow. The grazing pressure seemed light back then and the cattle kept the meadow clear of encroaching Lodgepole Pine, Pinus contorta ssp. murrayana, seedlings.

Cattle grazing ended in this area many years ago. By estimating the age of the encroaching Lodgepole Pine, I deduce that the seedling pines did not start invading the meadow until approximately 10 years ago. There was a considerable lapse in time between the ending of cattle grazing and the onset of the Lodgepole invasion. I am also following the relatively recent overgrowth of Lodgepole in other parts of this region. I suspect that there could be a number of reasons that could account for the relatively recent invasion of Lodgeple Pine. Further study will be required to determine if the ideas are valid. Needless to say, returning to this area will not hurt my feelings.

There were also the late blooming wildflowers to examine. Potentilla flabellifolia is not necessarily a late blooming species, however some plants continue to throw a few flowers later in the season.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #377 on: September 19, 2018, 04:29:07 AM »

Oreostemma alpigenum var. andersonii is a very common meadow plant at higher elevations.

Symphyotrichum spathulatum blooms a bit earlier in the season. I generally see it on slightly higher, drier ground adjacent to very wet meadows. If there is a little extra lingering moisture in the soil this can often extend the blooming cycle of this species.

In one portion of the meadow I found large mats of Gentiana newberryi var. tiogana in full bloom. This attractive species is quite common in meadows at the higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada.

Stands of Juniperus grandis seen on my way back to the Outback.

Barrett Lake and some other beautiful Lakes were not far from the meadow. But as usual, I ran out of time. It was a long hike back to the Outback and I needed to leave for home.

This was another outstanding outing for me. Unfortunately, I have no idea when I will be able to get out again at this time.

Until next time…….

And I hope that it can be soon.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #378 on: September 19, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »
As ever, I am in awe as I see your photos and read about the areas you visit, Robert.  As well as learning  I also feel a sense of relaxation - as if I too had been enjoying these wide-open spaces.  In this latest posting the Gentians and junipers are especially  pleasing  to see.
 Thank you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #379 on: September 19, 2018, 07:00:36 PM »
Hi Maggi,

It never ceases to amaze me how things work!

I am still very committed to the botanical diary. I too have learned a great deal. Despite the current challenges, I am doing the most creative work I have ever done to date. Not only have I renewed old skills, but also now I am taking things to new higher level of creativity.

Your comments are very encouraging. Thank you. If I can bring a sense of my experience to others through photographs and words, this is a major success for me.

Occasionally I write of the horticultural potential of the plants that I see. I hope that the horticultural potential is always implied. Juniperus grandis can become an absolutely stunning bonsai. Gentiana newberryi var. tiogana grows very well in our Sacramento garden. There is also Gentiana newberryi var. newberryi that has blue to deep blue flowers. It is very different from Gentiana calycosa, which also grows (grew?) in our area. Sadly I last logged this species on the west slope of the Crystal Range in the late 1990’s. It is not a rare species in California, however I am concerned that this species appears to be rapidly declining in numbers in our area. I feel a need to report these observations, as I believe it impacts horticulture in direct/indirect ways. Trillium albidum is not rare in California however I have not logged this species in our area since the 1980’s. For me, these and other observations are alarming trends.

I am sure you have noticed that I am gathering a great deal of data on the western slope of the Crystal Range. Detailed meteorological data, detailed measurements of the pH of soil, water (lakes and streams), and precipitation, soil moisture content, water flow rates of the alpine creeks, soil types, geology, etc. can be helpful information to those wanting understand the growing environment of the plant species I encounter. Things like empirical modeling can help pinpoint specific issues that need more detailed investigation. I also keep detailed information on the general natural history of the region (birds, insects, butterflies, mammals, etc.). This may also be interesting to horticulturalist.

Anyway, thank you again for your comments. Sooner or later I will work through the current set of challenges. There is so much more for me to accomplish. I hope there will be time for the next outing soon.

Thank you for all your help and efforts past and present.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:03:12 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #380 on: September 19, 2018, 09:45:42 PM »
Robert, your picture of Symphyotrichum reminds me of Aster nova-angliae. Any connection?

Robert

« Reply #381 on: September 20, 2018, 05:13:01 AM »
Hi Ian,

I have to admit that I do not know much about Aster nova-angliae, so I did some research. It appears that Aster nova-angliae has been reclassified as Symphyotrichum nova-angliae. Most likely the species has been reclassified due to the fairly recent DNA studies of many of the Asteraceae. It is a logical attempt to objectify the classification of plants based on DNA. Studying this methodology is way down on my priority list, however I have done some reading on the topic and know that at some point mathematical probability enters into the equation. My guess too, is that something similar to Chaos Theory or a function without continuity enters into the equation, in other words errors and false assumptions can be made. Most of the people doing this work are highly talented and are thorough in their techniques. Some fairy recent studies that I have read are excellent and appear to be extremely reasonable. I am certainly not an expert on this topic, but a very few older studies I have looked over appear to have bothersome inconsistencies. I am always skeptical of anything without supporting data. “You could not possibly understand” is a mega red flag! Anyway this is where things stand as far as I can tell.

Symphyotrichum nova-angliae is stated as native to east of the Rocky Mountains. Symphyotrichum spathulatum is native to California and other states from the Rocky Mountains westward. We have 14 species of Symphyotrichum in California and there are 3 varieties of Symphyotrichum spathulatum. I do grow Symphyotrichum spathulatum in our Sacramento garden. I have noted a fair degree of variance in the thriftiness of various seed lots. There appears to be a great deal of room for improvement. I have several seedlings to date that perform much better than others.

Since I do not know much on the topic, maybe another forumist can add more, and clarify the topic in more detail.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #382 on: September 20, 2018, 05:15:21 AM »

Some beautiful scenes of the Crystal Range from today.

The red rock of the Rockbound Pass region in the distance.

I stopped today to check the water level and flow rate on the South Fork of Silver Creek. From this perspective the creek appears to have a good flow of water for this time of year.

From this perspective the creek appears to be partly dry. I am sure that water is still seeping through the gravel and the pool in the proceeding photograph will not go dry this autumn.

I would have to check the dates, but sometime in the 1920’s? (maybe earlier, maybe a bit later) small check dams were constructed on most of the lakes in this area to control and maintain the flow of water in the creeks during the dry season. Wrights Lake, the out source of the South Fork of Silver Creek, has a small dam a meter or two high at the out flow point.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #383 on: September 20, 2018, 05:17:31 AM »

Lyons Creek went completely dry on 17 September of this year.

At Lyons Lake, at the headwaters of Lyons Creek, there is a small check dam to control water flow. At Lake Sylvia, also part of the headwaters, there is basically no check dam. What was there has been almost completely silted in.

If one walks the creek bed there are still pools of water in some locations that will maintain trout and other aquatic wildlife until the creek begins to flow again.

Autumn is finally arriving in the high country. On the last 4 consecutive nights I have recorded temperatures in the 29 F to 27 F (-1.7 C to -2.8 C) range. With the current north wind event and lowering dew points, the low temperatures will fall a bit more as long as there is little mixing of the atmosphere due to the wind.

There is finally a hint of autumn in the trees. This California Black Oak, Quercus kelloggii, is starting to turn color. Now that the morning temperatures are cool and the change has started, the trees will turn color very quickly. 2 days ago there was no color on this tree.

Tomorrow I will be going home to Sacramento.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #384 on: September 25, 2018, 10:28:26 PM »
A fantastic new USFS land acquisition in our area.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/eldorado/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD586498

8)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #385 on: September 26, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »
It's great to see some good news like that, Robert.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #386 on: September 27, 2018, 05:27:55 AM »
It's great to see some good news like that, Robert.

I agree 100%.  :)   8)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #387 on: September 27, 2018, 05:29:54 AM »

I was able to spend an hour or so in the Sierra Nevada today.

It was a very warm day for late September. The following temperature roundup might be interesting.

Placerville, farm 1,460 feet, 445 meters
High: 93 F, 33.9 C
Low: 53 F, 11.7 C
4:00 p.m. Relative Humidity: 15%

Riverton 3,625 feet, 1,105 meters
High: 90 F, 32.2 C
Low: 51 F, 10.6 C
4:00 p.m. Relative Humidity: 18%

Peavine Ridge 5,146 feet, 1,569 meters
High: 87 F, 30.6 C
Low: 49 F, 9.4 C
4:00 p.m. Relative Humidity: 12%

Loon Lake 6,410 feet, 1,954 meters
High: 83 F, 28.3 C
Low: 46 F, 7.8 C
4:00 p.m. Relative Humidity: 10%

Lyons Creek 6,622 feet, 2,018 meters
High: 75 F, 23.9 C
Low: 35 F, 1.7 C
4:00 p.m. Relative Humidity: 18%

A cutoff low is spinning off the California coast. This brought a few high clouds into the area today (pictured). The low is forecast to move toward Northwestern California over the next few days. It can be very difficult to forecast the movement of such systems, however if the forecast holds much cooler temperatures will arrive and there could be some rain. I took a good look at the latest Northeastern Pacific satellite image and I did not see much, or any, eastward movement in this system. At this time it appears the Rex blocking high will prevail or at least slow the transition. We shall see.

Autumn colors are starting to arrive in the high country. The Quaking Aspens, Populus tremuloides, (pictured) should be at their peak in 10 days or so, especially if cooler weather arrives soon.

I have some ham radio friends in the high country at this time. We had a QSO this evening and we are planning regular weather and things of interest (i.e. autumn colors, etc.) radio reports every day.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #388 on: September 28, 2018, 05:19:09 AM »
It was another warm day in Northern California today. Temperatures in general ran a bit warmer than 24 hours ago. As an example:

Placerville farm – 27 September

Cloud cover: High Clouds, Ci
High: 94 F, 34.4 C
Low: 55 F, 12.8 C
Winds: NW 1G3 mph

Yesterday – 26 September

Cloud cover: High Clouds, Ci
High: 93 F, 33.9 C
Low: 53 F, 11.7 C
Winds: Calm

This was typical of many of the reporting stations in the area today.

We have an interesting weather situation developing. The current Rex Block remained more or less stationary over the last 24 hours, however a strong surge of cold moist air is moving southward from the western end of the Aleutian Islands. It shows well on the NE Pacific GOES West satellite images, both visible and infrared. The higher temperatures today can most likely be attributed to the stationary Rex Block as it was compressed and pushed a bit by the on coming Aleutian air mass. Currently winds are fairly calm throughout our area, including the weather buoys off the California coast. Certainly the Aleutian air mass will impact the Rex Block, but at this time it is just a guess how this will play out. The next 24 hours will most likely provide some important clues.

Adding to the mix is Hurricane Rosa, currently located at 16.9 N, 115.9 W. It has sustained maximum wind speeds of 125 mph, and is currently tracking west at 10 mph. Rosa will most likely start to swing to the north within the next 24 hours. Rosa needs to be watched as she could potentially get pulled into the Aleutian airflow, as it swings eastward toward California. This scenario is not likely but still needs to be watched.

At this time my best guess forecast is: 35% chance of a very slow cooling trend over the next 7 days, as the Aleutian air mass very slowly works its way eastward, 60% chance the Aleutian air mass begins to nudge the cut-off low in the next 24 hours. The low moves toward Northern California and the high pressure continues to weaken. This will bring cooling temperatures to the area much sooner and maybe a chance of precipitation to the NW part of California. Then there is a 5% chance that some part of Rosa will get pulled into the flow toward California. This would most likely bring precipitation to Southern California.

My forecast for tomorrow is for temperatures to run 0 to 2 F lower than today. Most likely there will be continued periods of high cloudiness. Well, I am having fun with this!

Tomorrow I hope to have some time in the Sierra Nevada and capture some of the autumn colors with my camera.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #389 on: September 28, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »
5:30 a.m. PT WX update, 28 September 2018.

After checking the GOES West satellite images and the current conditions this morning, I have made a few adjustments to my forecast.

>Winds continue to be light throughout the area, however the marine layer has increased in the SF bay area this morning and the delta winds have started to increase. Temperatures at our Sacramento home are likely to be cooler by 5 F, or so, today and much more tomorrow. At this time, I do not see much change in the interior temperatures today, with some cooling tomorrow, maybe 5 F, however I would like to see more eastward movement of the cutoff low.

>As for day 3 and beyond, I have increased the likelihood of a slower solution toward cooler weather to 65%; decreased the faster solution to 35%. At this time I do not think Hurricane Rosa will impact our local weather.

>The “butterflies” are busy! – A double pun based on a statement made by Ed Lorenz many years ago and that butterflies are symbolic angels and heaven, i.e. God is in control of everything.

At this time everything looks good for a bit of time in the Sierra Nevada today. I will also be receiving a QSO radio report from Lake No 3 later today. Hopefully I will be able to return to this area next year. The flora is extremely interesting in this area and I am eager to do a follow up to my spring 2017 outing in this region. I the mean time, great news! More data loggers will be arriving soon to improve my WX and data network.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal