We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California  (Read 56358 times)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Re: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #360 on: September 12, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »

Yes, I like Ericameria species too. I have a number that I have started from seed, however they are still very small. Ericameria cuneata will root from cuttings. I had some started a year of two ago but lost them. I will be trying this species again ASAP. It is very beautiful and I think it will thrive in our xeric garden.

Maybe I'm making a fool of myself now...but I didn't know Ericameria species yet. 😉

By chance I got some photos last weekend from a botanical friend who was wandering north of Washington State last week. Two pictures show Ericameria resinosa. As soon as I have permission, I will show the photos.

Ericameria is a very beautiful species. 👍

Thomas

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #361 on: September 13, 2018, 04:56:58 AM »
Thomas,

There might be folks in the interior western U.S.A. North America  :)  who would choke at the idea of Rabbitbrush, Ericameria/Chrysothumnus as an ornamental in their gardens. Most likely the same could be said about Artemisia tridentata.  :-X   :P  Both grow nearly everywhere in the interior west (U.S.A. North America!) I purposely grow Artemisia tridentata in our garden and like it.  :o

There are 3 to 4 Ericameria/Chrysothumnus species that I encounter on the western slope of the Crystal Range, El Dorado County, California. Ericameria arborescens is an obligate seeder that is fairly dependent on fire for reproduction. They tend to grow tall and leggy. I do not have much interest in this species as an ornamental in our garden. I generally see Ericameria  suffruitocosa at very high elevations. I have yet to try this species and have know idea how it would preform in cultivation. Ericameria cuneata var. cuneata inhabits rock crevices and seems a perfect rock garden species. It is very high on my list of species to experiment with in our Sacramento garden. Very close to the east side of the Sierra Nevada I encounter Chrysothamnus viscidiflorus. It gets a bit large for a rock garden, yet I would be willing to try this species in our garden for the late season flowers. This species, mostly native to the interior continental U.S.A. North America, might be considered a weed. I love it, but then I do not live in Rabbitbrush country. Again, most likely the same could be said of Artemisia tridentata.  :-X

I have some nice seedlings of Ericameria discoidea started from seed I gathered near Sonora Pass. We have a fair number of Ericameria species in California, mostly native to the highest elevations and/or the east side of the Sierra Nevada crest. I would not mind experimenting with them.

I am 100% behind your efforts to experiment with the genus Ericameria. Some might consider growing plants in this genus foolish, but I would not let this discourage you from trying them. Some are gems. The gray foliage on others can be very attractive. The autumn blooming cycle is an asset. Efforts to select garden worthy forms of some of the less desirable species could be worthwhile. New worthy garden plants benefit all of us.  8)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:08:45 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #362 on: September 13, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »
Thomas,

There might be folks in the interior western U.S.A. North America  :)  who would choke at the idea of Rabbitbrush, Ericameria/Chrysothumnus as an ornamental in their gardens. Most likely the same could be said about Artemisia tridentata.  :-X   :P  Both grow nearly everywhere in the interior west (U.S.A. North America!) I purposely grow Artemisia tridentata in our garden and like it.  :o

There are 3 to 4 Ericameria/Chrysothumnus species that I encounter on the western slope of the Crystal Range, El Dorado County, California. Ericameria arborescens is an obligate seeder that is fairly dependent on fire for reproduction. They tend to grow tall and leggy. I do not have much interest in this species as an ornamental in our garden. I generally see Ericameria  suffruitocosa at very high elevations. I have yet to try this species and have know idea how it would preform in cultivation. Ericameria cuneata var. cuneata inhabits rock crevices and seems a perfect rock garden species. It is very high on my list of species to experiment with in our Sacramento garden. Very close to the east side of the Sierra Nevada I encounter Chrysothamnus viscidiflorus. It gets a bit large for a rock garden, yet I would be willing to try this species in our garden for the late season flowers. This species, mostly native to the interior continental U.S.A. North America, might be considered a weed. I love it, but then I do not live in Rabbitbrush country. Again, most likely the same could be said of Artemisia tridentata.  :-X

I have some nice seedlings of Ericameria discoidea started from seed I gathered near Sonora Pass. We have a fair number of Ericameria species in California, mostly native to the highest elevations and/or the east side of the Sierra Nevada crest. I would not mind experimenting with them.

I am 100% behind your efforts to experiment with the genus Ericameria. Some might consider growing plants in this genus foolish, but I would not let this discourage you from trying them. Some are gems. The gray foliage on others can be very attractive. The autumn blooming cycle is an asset. Efforts to select garden worthy forms of some of the less desirable species could be worthwhile. New worthy garden plants benefit all of us.  8)

Hi Robert

Thank you for the extensive information about Ericameria Species. I think that Ericameria cuneata var. cuneata and Ericameria resinosa are best suited for a rock garden. The late flowering time makes it especially interesting and valuable. Maybe you can buy some seeds sometime.

A really worthwhile project...much success with it.  ;D

Thomas

Robert

« Reply #363 on: September 15, 2018, 06:23:29 PM »

I checked my data loggers yesterday, 14 September. I also checked the pool of water where the trout were hanging out. The pool was nearly dry and the trout were gone, most likely a meal for some wild animals.

Yesterday the clouds were very interesting. We were under a strong southwestern upper airflow.

As for my temperature weather forecast for the Lyons Creek Basin:

It was a mix. The high temperature forecast for 12 and 13 September of 57 F to 63 F was more or less correct: 12th 61 F and 13th 57 F. I was not even close on the low temperature forecast, 20 to 25 F. The low on the 12th was 31 F. On the other days the low temperature was even warmer.

Well I am in good company with weather forecasting. Yesterday afternoon the US NWS forecast a few clouds for this morning and then clear skies. Well it is raining this morning!

Now that the weather has turned cooler, autumn colors are starting to appear on some of the deciduous tress.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:25:59 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #364 on: September 15, 2018, 09:23:35 PM »
Nice to see the further outings-- some very interesting varied habitats. How far from your home are these areas?

Robert

« Reply #365 on: September 16, 2018, 11:41:43 AM »
Nice to see the further outings-- some very interesting varied habitats. How far from your home are these areas?

From Sacramento it is a 45 minute drive to get anyplace that is interesting - a low elevation site. From the farm I can visit an interesting site on the way to or from Placerville, about a 10 minute drive from the farm. I guess it actually takes a bit more time since one has to take the scenic route. To get to the high country of the Sierra Nevada takes an hour from the farm.

A lot has changed over the years. During the 1970's and early 1980's I could just walk out the back door into semi-wilderness. I could walk for miles without seeing human development of any sort. Now there is massive amounts of development everywhere. The farm now sits in an ocean of development. Perhaps from this statement, you can understand why I am alarmed by what is going on. This type of alteration to the natural ecosystem can not go on forever. The evidence of strain on the local ecosystem (and the whole earth's ecosystems) are becoming evident everywhere - yet folks seem to be completely unaware of what is going on around them. Not long ago, I talked with an adult (age 65) who believes population growth on the planet can continue fore ever. When asked about global climate change, she replied that this was "fake science", a common response in the U.S.A. these days. When asked for evidence or data to back up this claim there, of coarse, was none.

I spend a great deal of time these days gathering data from the "local" ecosystems here in El Dorado County, California. I have been very alarmed by the disappearance of a number of species (all types) in our local area. I have not logged a Cedar Waxwing, Bombycilla cedrorum, in decades. During the 1960's huge flocks could be seen every winter in our area. During the 1990's I logged Gentiana calycosa at several sites on the western slope of the Crystal Range. I have returned to this sites repeatedly over the last 15 years and have not been able to locate any. I logged exact GSP locations - no Gentians! The same can be said about Trillium albidum, natural hybrids of Lilium parvum x pardalinum, and so many other plant species whose genes could prove useful for advancements in horticulture. I could go on with the list.

I may be alarmed, but nobody else seems to care in the least. I do not give up on things and wish to come to my own conclusions independently. Thus I conduct and finance my own "research" or hobby or whatever its called. I have already seen how some valid scientific research is "put on the shelf" because it would scare the public.

Oh well, I guess I have become long winded and off point. The bottom line is that I do not have to drive far to get to the Sierra Nevada Mountains and our precious plants and many other wild things are disappearing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:08:19 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #366 on: September 16, 2018, 03:52:34 PM »
Robert, the same destruction (in the name of progress) has been happening in the UK for many years. I used to be able to walk out of the house into fields and woods. I,m now surrounded by housing estates and giant sheds. Successive governments are being told what to do by big business. Giant warehouses are built with EU money then closed after a few years when cheap rates are at an end. I wonder if we will ever have a government who know what they are doing?

Robert

« Reply #367 on: September 17, 2018, 04:55:43 AM »
Hi Ian,

I agree, it is sad to see things go in the direct they are going throughout the world. There is no reason things have to be this way, but then it is a choice of free will that heads us in the current direction toward worldwide catastrophe. I do the best I can to make good personal choices and allow others the freedom to make their choices, even if I do not agree with them.

With the current trajectory, the laws of physics will lead humanity to a catastrophic event. In the mean time, I will be an advocate for the plants, animals, and other creatures and wild places that are not regarded with the dignity they deserve as fellow residents of this planet. I certainly feel compelled from my heart to create as much good as I can on this planet. I am well aware that it is like trying to empty the oceans with an eyedropper. Who knows what the future will bring. Tomorrow an extremely high magnitude Carrington type event may occur and bring the technological age to an end within a few hours? Such an event is 100% possible.

On the brighter side…    :)

I enjoy your photographs immensely, especially the insects, butterflies and birds. My wife and I do everything were can to invite creatures into our garden. My wife even lets the tomato hornworms eat our tomato plants. I am not so highly advanced!   ;D   :)

Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #368 on: September 17, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »
BARRETT LAKE
JEEP TRAIL
El Dorado County, California

Thursday, 23 August 2018

Part I

Upper Silver Creek Basin
Weather: Clear
Temperature, High: 72 F, 22.2 C
                       Low: 36 F, 2.2 C
4:00 p.m. Relative Humidity: 35%
4:00 p.m. Dew Point: 39 F, 3.9 C
Wind: NW 8G12
Precipitation: 0.00 inches (0.0 mm), To date (starting 1 July): 00.00 inches (0.0 mm)

A great deal of my time is taken these days working at less than desirable odd jobs to finance the research projects I enjoy doing. When I get an opportunity to have an all day outing I am determined to make the best of it. At least the Sierra Nevada Mountains are nearby. Even if I only have a few hours, I sneak off to work on the projects, to which I am passionate and devoted. I never tire of visiting sites like this (pictured).

On 23 August, I left Sacramento at 4:00 a.m. to arrive in the Sierra Nevada as early as possible. I made my usual rounds to down load data pertaining to my current long-term project. I now have some sites that a bit remote and require hiking. The first stops were in the dark, and by the time I arrived at the last site the sun had arisen.

It was a beautiful morning. It is always nice to linger at a site like this, however this morning I still had a distance to drive before arriving at the trailhead.

Today I wanted to hike the old Barrett Lake Jeep Trail. When I was in High School (late 1960’s to early 1970’s) I would travel this route fairly frequently. A hiking companion and I had a favorite lake where we enjoyed camping for several days. Back then, the jeep trail was little more than thin, little used track into Barrett Lake, about 6 miles in from Dark Lake the starting point of the jeep trail. These days the jeep trail is a highly eroded mess of large boulders, stinking oil and dust. This may suggest that another location may have been more advisable for this outing. Fortunately, the folks that use the jeep trail do not seem to stray far from the trail and I spent a great deal of my time away from the trail.

It had been 5 or 6 years since I last visited the area (far too long). This region has a rich and unique flora. In addition, there are a number of sites that have wonderful memories from past outings and camping trips.

From the new trailhead (I guess only “new” in my mind as it has been there for awhile), 6,975 feet (2,126 meters), it only took me a few minutes to reach Dark Lake, 6,908 feet (2,106 meters). Dark Lake is an interesting place and has a long history, which is an essay in itself. Spike Rush, Eleocharis sp., grows abundantly around parts of the lake. The Spike Rush seen to the right in the photograph is most likely Eleocharis palustris. There were some important sites I wished to visit, so I did not take the time to check the plants to confirm their identity.

A short distance from Dark Lake is a small pond or pool at the crest of the ridge above Jones Fork Silver Creek. There are many ponds and pools like this along this route. Some are located next to the trail; others are hidden in the forest. They are certainly leftover depressions that filled with water when the last Ice Age ended. The ponds can be treasure troves of interesting plant species, especially the sites far and hidden in the forest. The usual combinations of grass and sedge species, such as Carex utriculata, ringed this pond. On slightly higher ground around the pond many Ericaceae species were seen. Phyllodoce breweri and Rhododendron columbianum are two examples.

The ripening seedpods of Chrysolpepis sempervirens are very spiny. Good forms of this evergreen species can be very attractive.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:55:29 PM by Maggi Young »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #369 on: September 17, 2018, 03:06:55 PM »

I quickly abandoned the jeep trail and set off over the granodiorite landscape. Earlier in the season this dry landscape is filled with many species of plants in full bloom. This time of year, it requires much more detective work and very careful examination to determine the identity of dried specimens. For me this is a very interesting and enjoyable process.

For this camera angle, Red Peak can be seen to the left along the highest ridge in the background. To the far right, the wide “v” shaped depression is Rockbound Pass.

Another view of Rockbound Pass.

From this view, the “u” shaped geologic features on the north side (left) of Rockbound Pass can be clearly seen. It is a very fascinating area to visit. I am very eager to return to the old Red Peak Stock Trail, which follows the crest of the approaching ridge.

To the east, a number a peaks can be seen between Rockbound Pass and Mount Price.

To the west is the Crystal Basin, a major mountain recreation area in the region.

My goal on this day was to reach the Red Peak area, or at least get as close as I could to a number of lakes in the area.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #370 on: September 17, 2018, 09:20:52 PM »
A lot has changed over the years. During the 1970's and early 1980's I could just walk out the back door into semi-wilderness. I could walk for miles without seeing human development of any sort. Now there is massive amounts of development everywhere. The farm now sits in an ocean of development. Perhaps from this statement, you can understand why I am alarmed by what is going on. This type of alteration to the natural ecosystem can not go on forever. The evidence of strain on the local ecosystem (and the whole earth's ecosystems) are becoming evident everywhere - yet folks seem to be completely unaware of what is going on around them. Not long ago, I talked with an adult (age 65) who believes population growth on the planet can continue fore ever. When asked about global climate change, she replied that this was "fake science", a common response in the U.S.A. these days. When asked for evidence or data to back up this claim there, of coarse, was none.

My immediate area here is not commercially developed, but farms have been subdivided as children grow up and need their own homestead, at least most of the land is still farmed, and always lots of mostly/native pasturage. You don't have to go far, of course to see more land being swallowed up--  a couple of the towns nearby, and the nearest small city have nearly doubled  since I left home in the early 80's, and areas of farmland we used to drive through on the way into town, now *are * town... The town of Sylvan Lake where we often shop has been really obvious-- one of the main roads into town has lost several farms in the last couple of years.. more strip malls and congested housing developments.... yay!

Robert

« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2018, 04:51:46 AM »
BARRETT LAKE
JEEP TRAIL
El Dorado County, California

Part II

There can be broad expanses of open granodiorite rock where glacial ice once moved over the land. The ice retreated approximately 12,000 years ago and the soil building process began. Most of the vegetation is confined to rock crevices and shallow pockets where soil has slowly accumulated.

The process of sheeting creates parallel factures in the plutonic rock. Slowly the layers are broken off and shed like the layers of an onion. The roots of hardy plants eventually penetrate the seams in the rock, plants grow and pockets of soil are established.

Here Juncus parryi is well established in this rock crevice. During the spring and early summer, a large variety of plant species can be found growing in the seams of the broken rock.

Hardy conifers such as Jeffrey Pine, Pinus jeffreyi, can sometimes become established in the small crevices. It is amazing how such a large tree can grow and thrive in such an inhospitable location.

Sierra Juniper, Juniperus grandis, has an irregular distribution on the western slope of the Crystal Range. They are abundant along the northern portion of the Crystal Range in locations such as Loon Lake and the upper basin of the South Fork of the Rubicon River. As one move southward along the range this species is generally seen in scattered pockets.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #372 on: September 18, 2018, 04:54:33 AM »

I worked my way across Jones Fork Silver Creek, 6,871 ft. (2,094 meters). Water levels were extremely low. Due to global climate change, the winter snow line is rising. This impacts the extent of the snow pack, which impacts the hydrology of the region.

I have researched the annual precipitation in the region back to the 1850’s. There has been little or no change in the average annual precipitation; however there has been a clear decrease in precipitation in the form of snow. The average wintertime snowline is slowly rising. In addition, my data indicates a relentless increase in the average annual temperature since the 1960’s. Rising temperatures, increased evapotranspiration, and rising snow levels has led to decreased flow rates in the high elevation creeks and streams. This is especially apparent in the late summer and autumn.

Eriogonum umbellatum var polyanthum was one of the few dryland species still in bloom during August. In the wild, some plants will produce new flowers over an extended period of time. Ripe seed and newly open flowers can sometimes be found on the same plant at the same time.

The ridge that contours the northern edge of the Jones Fork Basin is much higher than the southern ridgeline. As I gained altitude, there were some great vistas of Mount Price to the east-southeast.

A number of seasonal watercourses bisect the route to the top of the ridge. Higher on the ridge there are several active springs that flow into the drainage, creating a lush riparian habitat. Most of the water never arrives at the Jones Fork late in the dry season.

This scene is of one of the many seasonal bogs in this area. The bogs are very fascinating to study.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #373 on: September 18, 2018, 04:57:09 AM »

At one location I found an isolated single specimen of Incense Cedar, Calocedrus decurrens. Most likely the original seed arrived in the area via a jeep. Calocedrus decurrens is one of a number of native species that tend to be vagabonds. The species can be found along one of our local highways well below its natural range. The seeds are transported on snow transported by automobiles returning from ski trips in the Sierra Nevada during the winter.

Quaking Aspen, Populus tremuloides, is a sure indication of an abundant perennial source of water. This grove was near the top of the ridge.

Another great vista with Mount Price in the background.

This is the last view of the Crystal Range before I entered the coniferous forest near the top of the ridge.

This forested area is somewhat isolated, however the area did not escape the logging boom that started during the 1970’s.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #374 on: September 18, 2018, 04:59:31 AM »

Old growth timber was the target during this round of logging. The tree rings of many of the stumps can still be counted. This tree was a little over 200 years old when it was cut, i.e. sprouted as a seedling in 1770 to 1780.

Even this young recently cut Lodgepole Pine, Pinus contorta var. murrayana, was over 70 years old. Oh how I wish I had the equipment to take a core sample of some of the 200-year-old trees. The core samples would provide clues to climatic/precipitation conditions in the area before 1860.

Old aluminum cans like this one can help date activities in this area.

The old Red Peak Stock Trail bisects the jeep trail at the crest of the ridge, 7,653 ft. (2,333 meters). The route along the Stock Trail to the crest of the Crystal Range and onward into Rockbound Valley is one of the most fascinating routes in the area.

I was tempted to follow the route for a short distance, but I soon backtracked to continue my trip toward Barrett Lake.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal