We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California  (Read 56372 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #345 on: September 10, 2018, 12:26:23 AM »
Nice views. love the Ericameria. Cooling temps here too (though we managed a couple more days with temps in the 20's after 10 days cool).. rain in the forecast many days, but not always
 appearing..

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #346 on: September 10, 2018, 05:18:36 AM »
Interesting to hear whether your weather forecast turned out correctly!
Here we say the best forecast is the weather tomorrow will be like today. Then you are right more than 50%!

We will have rain the next few days.
May, June and July were very warm and dry, August was slightly warmer but very much wetter than normal! September looks the same as August so far.

Trond,

Thank you for the meteorological information. As you most likely know I am very interested in such things and have been for a very long time.

So far, the first 9 days of September have had above average temperatures. The average high temperature at the farm has been 90.56 F (32.53 C). At our Sacramento home the average high temperature has been 91.13 F (32.85 C). There has been no rain for a number of months now. This is very typical.

Right now I am partly using old forecasting methods that were used back in the 1960's. I also use my own data and the relationships/patterns that I have observed over the years. Developing my forecasting skills is fun for me. I also learn new skills and keep others skills sharp.  :)  Over time I will find more data that works well in my forecasting model. Nobody is paying me to do this, so I can take my time, make many mistakes, and learn a lot along the way. Developing my empirical modeling skills also works perfectly with other long term projects that I have going concerning native plants, ecosystems, etc. I thought that it would be fun to stick my neck out and see how well the forecasting system works. I am sure many improvements can be made over time. Fun.  ;D

Nice views. love the Ericameria. Cooling temps here too (though we managed a couple more days with temps in the 20's after 10 days cool).. rain in the forecast many days, but not always
 appearing..

Yes, I like Ericameria species too. I have a number that I have started from seed, however they are still very small. Ericameria cuneata will root from cuttings. I had some started a year of two ago but lost them. I will be trying this species again ASAP. It is very beautiful and I think it will thrive in our xeric garden.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #347 on: September 10, 2018, 11:16:52 AM »
So far September has been cool and cloudy here.

Robert

« Reply #348 on: September 10, 2018, 04:10:19 PM »
Are these typical weather conditions for your area during early September?
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #349 on: September 11, 2018, 02:04:50 PM »
The last portion of the Van Vleck outing is finished. I will have time to post it this evening when I get back.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #350 on: September 11, 2018, 02:44:37 PM »
Robert, we often have warm, sunny septembers with just a light breeze. Called, over here, an Indian summer. This year the weather has been more un-predictable than usual. Rather than the usual wet and warm it has been a year of flood and drought so far. Many wild flowers have reacted by growing quickly then going to seed in a shorter time. This has made plant recording more difficult in our area.

Robert

« Reply #351 on: September 12, 2018, 05:34:15 AM »
VAN VLECK
&
TELLS PEAK REGION
El Dorado County, California

Part II

At this moment in time, Rough Bent Grass, Agrostis scabra, dominated the meadows in the Van Vleck area with their mature inflorescences waving above the other meadow plants. What appears to be an ocean of bent grass, is actually a highly diverse plant community of many species. As I walked through this meadow I encountered many species of Sedge, Carex sp., Rushes, Juncus sp., other Poaceae, as well as numerous diocots, and bulbous species. Throughout the meadow are hummock of willow predominantly Salix lemmonii and Salix orestra. These willow hummocks are interesting plant communities in themselves.

There are smaller hummocks, primarily surrounding the edges of the meadow that are filled with Vaccinium uliginosum ssp. occidentale.

A single yellow flower of Helenium bigelovii can be seen emerging from this Vaccinium. All sorts of herbaceous species find a start near these shrubby plants.

Hiding among the grasses and sedges are many interesting species. A number of Orchidaceae can be found blooming among the grasses and sedges, such as Spiranthes romanzoffiana (pictured).

Portions of the meadow are seasonally xeric. In this dry spot I found an active anthill full of Brown Ants, Formica fusca.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #352 on: September 12, 2018, 05:37:10 AM »

This was also the perfect habitat for Penstemon rydbergii var. oreocharis. This Penstemon species is tolerant of both extremely moist conditions (very early in the season), as well as xeric conditions (late in the season).

As you might expect, the meadows can be full of butterflies, especially during the peak of the wildflower season. I was able to capture this nice photograph of this Orange Sulphur, Colias eurytheme, feeding on a daisy.

There were many Frillaries, Speyeria coronis or S. callippe. I never capture butterflies, but prefer to photograph them. Needless to say this can be very time consuming and often requires a great deal of patience. At least the Butterflies have a chance to live and reproduce, or perhaps become a meal for a bird.

Salix orestra is a very attractive species. The gray foliage of this species is densely covered with many hairs. The species is also a food source for the larva of a number of Lepidoptera species.

After spending a considerable amount of time exploring the meadow, I moved on to higher and drier ground. Ceanothus cordulatus is a common species at this elevation. Despite very wicked thorns, this evergreen species is very attractive with blue-green foliage and clusters of white flowers earlier in the season.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #353 on: September 12, 2018, 05:40:05 AM »

There is a whole series of meadows along the route to Tells Peak. At times nice vistas open up where many of the high peaks of the Crystal Range can be seen.

As one nears Tells Peak there are a series of meadows dominated by Mules-ear, Wyethia mollis. I have known about these meadows for almost 50 years and have wondered why they were so different from the other meadows in the area. Last year when approaching these meadows I noticed a number of large andesite erratics near the trail, remnants of the Mehrten formation. On this outing “the lights went on” and I realized that the whole meadow complex was part of an ancient andesite lahar. This realization helped me understand why the meadows are so different from the surrounding meadows. Not only the flora, but also other aspects of the andesite meadows make them very unique in this area.

The andesite meadows are never the same season-to-season. Last year when I visited this meadow it was full of Collomia grandiflora. This year I could not find a trace of this annual species.

Another unique feature of these meadows are the stands of Angelia breweri throughout the meadows. In this photograph and the previous photograph you can see the ripe seed heads of Angelica breweri rising above the sea of Wyethia mollis.

Beyond the andesite meadows the flora once again shifts gears. In this area there are lush dense forest of Red Fir, Abies magnifica var. magnifica interspersed with moist meadows.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #354 on: September 12, 2018, 05:42:46 AM »

The meadows in this area outwardly look the same as many of the lower meadows, however there are subtle yet distinct differences.  On close examination one notices a very different mix of plants species. In addition, I was soon to discover why this might be occurring.

Parnassia palustris was one of a number of “new” species observed in the upper meadows.

The lovely Gaultheria humifusa can be found throughout is portion of the mountain. I first discovered this species growing in this area last year. It is not a rare species, however this is the only location where I have found this species growing on the west slope of the Crystal Range. One of my main objectives on this outing was to map the distribution of this species in this area, but as it turned out there were still more surprise discoveries to make.

I continued my way up the trail toward a site where I would get a good view of the land and could plan my investigation of Gaultheria humifusa in this area. The next shock faced me in the middle of the trail, a huge block of metamorphic rock! What was this doing here, another erratic? As I continued up the trail, paying very close attention, I become aware that the whole ridge was composed of metamorphic rock, schists, and other metamorphic pieces, part of the Shoo Fly Complex. I am aware of a number of locations where parts of the Shoo Fly Complex extend high into the lower approaches of the Crystal Range, however this is the highest elevation where I have found Shoo Fly Complex rock in the Crystal Range. In addition, I know of only one other site where Shoo Fly metamorphic rock, Mehrten Formation andesite, and plutons of granodiorite can be found in very close proximity to each other at the higher elevations in our area. The other site has many unusual rarely seen plant species. This area appears to be no different.

As I gained altitude I could see rock formations in the distance that would be worth exploring in the future.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #355 on: September 12, 2018, 05:45:35 AM »

The distant formation could be volcanic and part of the Mehrten Formation. It could also be metamorphic. Either way, it will be worth my while to check these sites as well as some other sites I spotted through my binoculars.

From the high point, the views of the Crystal Basin to the southwest are very nice. Union Valley Reservoir can be seen in the distance (center).

To the south the lower approaches to the Crystal Range crest could be seen.

By now it was getting late in the day and it was time to start my return trip to the Outback.

On my way back, I took time to examine an old logging road that was cut into the area during the early 1980’s. After more than 35 years most folks would not notice that this scene is part of an old logging road. It appears that the land has recovered well without any ill effects. For me, problems are glairing! After 35 years, Timothy Phleum pretense a non-native invasive species is well established, thriving and spreading in a riparian habitat.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #356 on: September 12, 2018, 05:48:30 AM »

Orchard Grass, Dactylis glomerata, another non-native invasive species is also thriving and spreading in the riparian habitat. With some investigation it seemed apparent that the two species were most likely introduce via fill rock that was used to stabilize the road grade in this wet site. There was not enough time to investigate the full extent of the spread of the non-native grasses at this site. This will have to wait for another outing.

I took one last look at the old road site before I continued on down the trail.

If one looks closely, signs of past logging in this area are everywhere. This old rusted can dates back to the 1980’s or maybe even before this time.

This is one of many, many old stumps left over from the logging operations during the 1970’s. A tremendous amount of old growth was cut from this area. Many of the trees were in excess of 200 years old when they were cut. My brother and I hiked through this area shortly after the logging was completed. It was a complete disaster back then. My brother and I hiked an old rarely used trail from Loon Lake to reach this area. At one point it became impossible to follow the trail. Clear-cut logging and slash obscured the trail. We did find the old airstrip we were looking for, part of the old Van Vleck Ranch, however the devastation did disappoint us.

There are very few people around who remember the character of the forest before the major logging started in this area from the 1970’s onward. There were plenty of problems with forest management, pre 1970’s. The consequences of years of fire suppression come to my mind. Currently there is much discussion on new changes in forest management, considering the recent devastating wildfires and on going climate change. My hope is that some sensible approach can be found that takes into account all the various positions in the debate.

Of coarse I spend as much time as possible out in the woods. There is always one more thing that attracts my attention, such as this nice stand of Agastache urticifolia.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #357 on: September 12, 2018, 05:49:47 AM »

That means I generally race down the trail to arrive at the Outback before dark. I do not mind being out in the dark, however my wife worries.

This was a fantastic outing. I made some interesting discoveries and have much follow up work to do. Exploring the upper flanks of Tells Peak is high on my priority list for future outings. There are many interesting species that I want to revisit near the summit of Tells Peak.

Until next time…….

Next time is almost here as I have started writing about my outing on the Barrett Lake Trail.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #358 on: September 12, 2018, 05:54:31 AM »
Robert, we often have warm, sunny septembers with just a light breeze. Called, over here, an Indian summer. This year the weather has been more un-predictable than usual. Rather than the usual wet and warm it has been a year of flood and drought so far. Many wild flowers have reacted by growing quickly then going to seed in a shorter time. This has made plant recording more difficult in our area.

Ian,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain your weather in a bit more detail.

There was a complete change in the work schedule today, 11 September and I ended up with some free time in Eldorado National Forest during the afternoon.

In this photograph the leading cloud bank from a cold front can be seen approaching from the northwest. My latest temperature forecast for the western slope of the Crystal Range looks like it is going to hold up, but might be delayed by 12 to 24 hours. I ended up with a temperature forecast of 63 F (17.2 C) to 58 F (14.4 C) for daytime high temperatures for the Lyons Creek Basin. If we indeed get some cold air advection, the -3.9 C to -6.7 C low temperature forecast should pan out, and the leaves of the deciduous species should start to turn color. I will do the best I can to capture this event when it starts.

I went back to check on the trout again. There was not much change in the water level or temperature. Enough water must be seeping through the gravel to keep things acceptable for them.

I took some time to photograph Glyceria grandis. With the approaching cold front, the wind was gusting today up to 18 mph. This made photography very difficult.

With sustained winds speeds of 10 mph the inflorescence never stood still.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #359 on: September 12, 2018, 05:56:26 AM »

It was beautiful at Wrights Lake.

Another nice scene of Wrights Lake.

The last photograph of Wrights Lake before returning to Placerville.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal