We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California  (Read 56393 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2018, 05:07:54 AM »

Dense smoke continues to blanket Northern California as 15 major fires rage throughout the state. There have been at least a few cool days before the next round of hot weather begins tomorrow. One of my temperature data loggers registered a low temperature of 34 F, (1.1 C) on 5 August. High temperatures in the mountains have been in the 23 to 30 C range depending on the elevation.

The Mendocino Complex Fire has now burned 110 x 103 HA. It is the second largest wildfire in our state’s history since accurate record keeping was started in 1932. This wildfire is still out of control. By tomorrow it will become the largest wildfire in our state’s history, eclipsing the December 2017 Thomas Fire in Southern California. The Carr Fire is still burning near Redding, California. To date, this fire has destroyed 1,604 homes and structures. The Ferguson Fire continues to burn near Yosemite National Park. The park has been closed indefinitely and park employees have been evacuated. In desperation, U.S. military troops have been called in to help with the fire fighting efforts. Despite international help (firefighters from New Zealand and Australia) no relief appears in sight.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 05:10:25 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #286 on: August 07, 2018, 10:16:54 AM »
Wholesale destruction in the most frightening way - a horror that is almost beyond comprehension.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #287 on: August 07, 2018, 02:40:34 PM »
Climate change is impacting our state in many ways. The following statistics are just a few of the numbers that quantify the impacts.

This graft shows the increase in the average annual temperature at our Placerville, California farm from 1988 to 2017. Boxcar averaging was used to make the numbers more understandable.

This chart shows the increase in temperature that I recorded from 1968 to 1978 at our Fair Oaks, California home (near our Placerville farm). This is raw data, however the trend line is clear.

This chart shows the number days each season with temperatures ≥ 90 F (32.2 C) from 1988 to 2017 at our Placerville, California farm. This is raw data, however I think that the upward trend line(s) is clear. There are a number of ways to interpret this data, however each method indicates an upward trend in the number of days ≥ 90 F (32.2 C).

A few other statistics:

Since 1932, 4 of the 5 largest wildfires in our State’s history have occurred since 2013. The largest fire, the Mendocino Complex fire is still burning. The second largest fire, the Thomas Fire, occurred last year.

The most destructive fire in terms of loss of life and/or structures destroyed was last year’s Tubbs fire with 5,636 homes and structures lost. The sixth most destructive fire is the Carr Fire near Redding, California. This fire is still burning. Many homes are still threatened by this fire. It is not even close to containment.

The destruction to our natural ecosystems is sad and alarming. The last set of statistics indicates the actual everyday impact on everyday people. Many have lost their homes, loved ones, beloved pets, and so much more that is meaningful in their lives.

The wildfire destruction is increasing at a rate very similar to the trend line on the first chart. The impacts of global climate change have arrived in California and the changes are impacting everyday people in very adverse ways.

Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #288 on: August 09, 2018, 05:24:10 AM »

It was another smoky day in Northern California as many major wildfires continue to burn in our area. Temperatures are ranging in the 32-35 C range at the lower elevations and near 27 C at the higher elevations. Smoke is scattering the direct beam radiation of the sun; thus the temperatures are a bit lower than what they would be with clear skies. I am looking for a change in our weather pattern. Maybe some rain or cooler temperatures would help the firefighters. Wind might blow the smoky away, however it could exasperate firefighting efforts.

I checked the current MJO index and forecast. The current signal seems fairly disorganized. It appears that the MJO will not play a substantial role in a conductive pattern in the eastern Pacific. Tropical storm Kisty at 13N – 127W will continue its western trajectory. Hurricane John at 18N – 111 W, south of the Baja California coast will continue to track to the northwest away from western North American. What this means for us in Northern California is a more or less uneventful, weak, or nonexistent monsoonal flow into Northern California. Rain is extremely unlikely, even convective cloudiness over the Sierra Nevada is likely to be minimal.

Lyons Creek could use some rain. Its flow is diminishing each day.

A trough of low pressure sits off the coast of Washington State - British Columbia. It will weaken and be shunted northeastward as high pressure dominates our weather. The trough may bring some southwest ocean breezes through the Sacramento – San Joaquin River delta for a few days. This will cool our temperatures a bit, however as stated earlier, the winds may hamper firefighting efforts.

As you may have guessed, I have been gathering and playing with numerical data for a long time (1968). I have always enjoyed analyzing and picturing the data in numerous formats to help me picture and see things from different perspectives. The above graph is a crude mathematical model of a specific ecosystem in Eldorado National Forest based on data I have gathered on outings over the years. There is much work and refinement needs to be made; however the basic concept is working. Playing around with such things is a lot of fun for me. I am finding that each ecotype has a distinct signature. The signature of each site also varies over time depending on the inputs, i.e. a wildfire, logging, natural succession, climate change, etc. I guess this is my version of “art” and creativity. I also enjoy playing around with radios (mostly how they work, designing antennas, electromagnetic theory, etc. – I am not much of a chit-chat guy), so it works for me to picture each eco-type as a distinct carrier wave at a distinct frequency. The other variables of each eco-type can be likened to various amounts of bandwidth and distinct patterns of modulation (do I want it AM, FM or PM   ;D  ). Interpreting the data as a fractal would be interesting too. I guess if I turned it into a fractal image, some would consider it art (by the way, if I do turn it into a fractal format I will post the photograph). FUN.

As we know from this forum (think Ian Young and the Bulb log), art and the many perspectives that art can bring to a creative mind can be used as guiding principles for garden design. Mathematics, Euclidian Geometry, etc. seem like they would be a recipe for a boring garden of straight lines, circles, and triangles. Maybe I see fractals? Anyway, I will be back in Sacramento soon and back in the garden. I have the next outing planned too.  :)

Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #289 on: August 10, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »
Robert,

Your reports are interesting albeit a bit frightening. Although we do not get it as hot as you do, we have had our share this summer. In S Norway an all time high for days exceeding 25C has been set and the summer is not over yet. Many places the trees suffer and a lot of them have turned yellow or brown. Fortunately we have gotten rain the last days so the immediate threat is over but we have to get more precipitation the rest of the year than we ever have had to fill the reservoirs back to normal.

It is very little snow in the mountains and even the old accumulated snow has melted a lot.

621549-0
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #290 on: August 10, 2018, 06:17:12 PM »
Hi Trond,

I am very, very pleased to hear from you.

I miss your scenes of Norway. Thank you for sharing the photograph.   8)

It appears that you have been dealing with extremes of weather for a considerable length of time this spring/summer. Here in Northern California, the wildfires are still burning, but the smoke is slowly clearing. Firefighters are slowly gaining control of the fires. Today will be hot with temperatures near 38 C, however cooler weather is forecast to arrive as a low pressure tough moves to the north of California. I am hoping that the winds do not exasperate the firefighting situation.

Later today I will be checking some of my data loggers and taking some manual measurements in the Sierra Nevada before returning to Sacramento after a long (too long!) stay away from home. If I see anything interesting I will post the results here later today. Other than that, I will PM you with all the detailed news from California
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #291 on: August 11, 2018, 02:27:55 AM »

It was a warm and beautiful day in the Sierra Nevada today, 10 August. Temperatures are running a bit warmer than 24 hours ago. The forecasted and anticipated cooling trend has not arrived yet. At least much of the smoke has been dispersed by the wind. On Peavine Ridge I recorded southwest winds, 9 mph, gusting to 12 mph. The high temperature on the ridge was 94 F (34.4 C), not particularly cool.

There is still some smoke, but nothing like the dense smoke we have endured for two weeks of so.

Now that most of the smoke has cleared there are some good views of the Crystal Range. In this photograph Pyramid Peak can be seen through the creek channel of Lyons Creek. It was 82 F (27.8 C) today at Lyons Creek.

Off to the southeast a bit of smoke and monsoonal moisture can be seen in the distance. At this time the monsoonal moisture is being shunted off to the east. The monsoonal flow is not particularly strong and the current pattern seems too disorganized for any instability and convection in our area over the next few days.

As for our cooling trend, it has not arrived. It may arrive, however much of the influence may be felt in the delta area and the southern Sacramento Valley. At this time I am not seeing a strong signal for a large drop in the high temperatures in the lower portions of the Sierra Nevada and the adjoining foothill areas. At this time the 500 mb heights have not fallen enough to convince me of a big change. Maybe tomorrow things will look different.

Later this evening I will be arriving in Sacramento after being away for over 2 weeks.  :)   8)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #292 on: August 11, 2018, 06:02:10 AM »
Home sweet Home :)

We are back to normal and the danger of wildfires has ceased considerably. And the weather is much cooler, quite normal in fact! But we had the first fall gale yesterday and that is a bit early. No serious damage done though.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #293 on: August 12, 2018, 12:43:27 AM »
Trond,

Yes, I am back in Sacramento now.  :)

This morning I spent some time evaluating the garden here in Sacramento. Very dry! I have sections of the garden where I grow riparian habitat California native species. There were not very happy, but I got the hose out and gave them a good drink of water. The xeric species in other parts of the garden are looking good, however not what a lush garden would look like in Norway (I guess not this summer  :-\  ). A number of California native Penstemon still have a few flowers, as well as Eriogonum species. Epilobium canum types are blooming well.

The change in the weather is arriving. Although it was still fairly hot today, 97 F (36.1 C), there is a good southwest breeze, the 4 p.m. relative humidity is up, and heights are falling. As I write, a bit of cloudiness is moving into the area. It appears to be subtropical monsoonal moisture, however I will check the 500 mb maps to see if this seems reasonable.

Thank you so much for sharing some of the details and observation in Norway.  8)   8)   8)  Needless to say I am very fascinated by the weather everywhere. I am quite interested in common features such as the gales that you mentioned.

I will get back to you with more details as I can. If all goes well, I can share some photographs from the garden here in Sacramento on the forum.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:46:14 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #294 on: August 12, 2018, 03:42:43 PM »
Robert, since you mention Penstemons ( my focal Genus in understanding your wildflowers) which are those xeric or quasi xeric that are now doing well in your garden? I think moving towards dry gardening will become a world trend both in terms of saving water ( and watering bills) but also as a way of coexisting with climate change. Yesterday I potted four P.newberryi var newberryi from your seed sown Oct/2017. They are wider than tall , looking very healthy and vigorous, about 25 cm in diameter. They spent the winter inside my cool greenhouse but as soon as the weather warms up a bit, they'll be placed outside. I hope that they flower this coming season! Obviously they can withstand your natural summer drought. However in nature do they grow in more mesic spots or on dry spots? Thus I'll know where they ought to be placed in my different water gradient kinds of gardens. Thank you
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Robert

« Reply #295 on: August 13, 2018, 01:11:45 AM »
Arturo,

First, I am extremely pleased to hear that your seedlings are doing well.  :)   8)

Off the-top-of-my-head I am trying to think of any Penstemon species in our immediate area that are mesic.  ???  Right now I can not think of any, so I would consider all of them xeric species. Penstemon newberryi is definitely a xeric species. Having said that, there are still many considerations in cultivating this species well. First they enjoy full to most full sun. This is very important in the wintertime if they are not covered with snow. This may seem a bit oxymoronic, but this has been my consistent observation when cultivating this species outside its natural habitat. Excellent soil drainage is imperative. I grow mine in a soil mix that is 75% 5 to 9 mm red lava rock (scoria). The crown of the plant also needs to stay dry. In Sacramento, I need to irrigate this species during the summer. Although temperatures can easily reach > =90 F (32.2 C) during the summer in its native habitat, the growing season and season of significant evapotransparation is much shorter in the Sierra Nevada. In the past I have been able to give you an idea of the long, hot growing season here in Sacramento. In your location, cultivation will likely be much easier, providing that sun, drainage, and other considerations are met.

On my next outing I will be in Penstemon newberryi territory. I will do my best to take photographs of their habitat.

Anyway, it seem like you are off to an excellent start!  :)

I was a little cooler today in Sacramento with a weak onshore flow of marine air from the Pacific Ocean. I just looked at the 500 mb map and it appears we could get a weak flow of monsoonal moisture over the Sierra Nevada over the next few days. After that it appears that hot weather will return. If the current 500 mb GFS forecast holds we could be in for some 38 C plus weather. This is par for this time of year in our area. July had above average temperatures, however there were no extremes. So far August appears to be a repeat of July, however I am lucky to be able to forecast out more than 2-3 days, although I am getting better. My version of fun.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:13:50 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #296 on: August 13, 2018, 02:57:47 PM »
Arturo,

After thinking about things for a bit, I realized that Penstemon rydbergii var. oerocharis is more or less a mesic species. In the spring, I see them in moist, sometimes semi flooded meadows. This species is also tolerant of dry conditions. During the drought years I would see them in meadows that were bone dry. They did not look too happy, but they were surviving. In our Sacramento garden I have a patch in a spot that gets dry. They, too, are not very happy and they do not bloom well. I will have to move them this winter - early spring to a better spot.

Penstemon hetrodoxus var. hetrodoxus is the only Penstemon species blooming in our garden at this time. I also grow var. cephalophorus. They are not blooming, however they are growing very well.

For the most part, I only grow Penstemon species from my own accessions. My goal is the grow the best of the best, and breed even better varieties from these. This keeps me extremely busy, is fun and interesting. I have to admit that there are some Penstomon species from Northwestern California that I grew at one time. I would not mind trying them again, however it does not look like I will be traveling to that area anytime soon. To make the trip work I would have to spend at least 4-5 days minimum away from home. Oh well, there are many things I would like to do, but cannot for whatever reason.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:59:48 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #297 on: August 13, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
Robert, thank you so much!Ref: Penstemons the two species you mention I would love to try out as well as follow up of your accessions. I lost last years P.roezli early in their germination. I'm now trying out a batch from Alplains. Eventually when my stands acquire your level, I can share seeds. I find this genus particularly suited to sort out all types of gradients and ecological niches. I find great joy in imagining each finding the correct spot, specially because the property allows from very dry desert types all the way into moisture loving species. Some may need supplemental watering in summer though. But occasional watering can be provided easily. All which has yet to be discovered.
Amongst geophytes the equivalent process has started with your Erythroniums ( 11 forms) and Calochortus (4 forms). I'm hoping to add some Iris, as well as Lilium. Of the other perennials, I'm about to stratify Eriogonums ( 8 forms) and Lewisias (10 forms). I'm also experimenting with Dodecatheon and the other Primulaceae. Of course I also add odds here and there, while I try to figure out the whole picture of future garden introductions adapted to our quite similar xeric/drought summer conditions. As my sowings  progress and reach fruition I'll gradually add other groups.
I do expect to post here sometime in the future, how your wildflowers fare in this part of the world.
Thank you very much.
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #298 on: August 13, 2018, 08:11:04 PM »
California certainly seems to be feeling some climate extremes, though I imagine that climate always had a lot of extremes... Gets worse when people are in more and more places in greater numbers, so they are affected  by weather events, and fragmented habitats have a harder time recovering...

Robert

« Reply #299 on: August 14, 2018, 02:45:13 PM »
cohan,

There are so many details to the changes that are taking place in California. A long essay or book could be written on the topic.

One glaring example of habitat change in California is the loss of the perennial bunch grass habitat in the lower and upper Sonoran life zones. This habitat type has almost been completely eliminated from the California landscape. As Arturo has rightly pointed out, such habitats have been so altered by humans that they could only be restored with extreme effort and wisdom. The changes in this grassland/savannah habitat has complete altered the behavior of fire in parts of California. And not for the good! Sadly with climate change this habitat type is slowly working its way into the transition zone. I am documenting these changes. Due to climate change, the extreme fires California has experienced over the past few years will also altered our landscape too. The habitat types that existed before the fires will not likely return in the same form at the same elevations.

This is a very simplified explanation. Feel free to ask more questions and I will do the best I can with them.

The last flowers of Penstemon heterodoxus var. heterodoxus in our Sacramento garden this year.

I will be posting more photographs from our garden as I can under the topic, looking good in the northern hemisphere.  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 02:48:50 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal