We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California  (Read 56380 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #195 on: June 03, 2018, 05:56:08 AM »

There were far more shrubby species in this portion of the forest surrounding the reservoir. A few specimens of Ribes roezlii ssp. roezlii still had a few open flowers that had not gone over.

The other frequently encountered Ribes species in this area, Ribes nevadense, was just coming into bloom.

Most Manzanita species bloom very early in the season. I encountered a few Greenleaf Manzanita, Arctostaphylos patula, with a few leftover open flowers.

On higher drier terrain, generally growing in granodiorite grus, Viola tomentosa can be found. Where Viola purpurea and Viola tomentosa grow adjacent to each other, hybrids of the two species can be found (pictured).

Eventually I left the Gerle Creek area to explore, a wetland area that has only been partly disrupted and altered by logging. I was still hoping to find Trillium albidum. I did not have any success, however there were plenty of wild strawberries, Fragaria viginiana, in bloom.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #196 on: June 03, 2018, 05:59:03 AM »

From this point, I moved on to higher terrain and the Van Vleck area to see what conditions were like. Tells Creek had a full head of water flowing through it channel.

I was not surprised to find lingering snow still on the ground.

The meadows of the old Van Vleck range were green and lush. There was a light rain falling so I pushed forward toward the upper meadows to see what had emerged from the ground after the snow melted.

There were a fair number of species in bloom, but the rain was quickly intensifying. Photography was extremely difficult, but I did get this photograph of Sidalcea glacescens.

Travel was also becoming more difficult as the rain on was pouring in heavy sheets. The snow was also becoming more extensive, so soaking wet, I turned back to the Outback.

Despite the heavy rain late in the day, this outing was very productive and successful. My next outing is already scheduled for Thursday, 7 June.

Until the next time………
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2018, 06:09:56 AM »

A few scenes from today.

Pyramid Peak and Lyons Creek. The wildflowers are starting to bloom in the high country. I took a quick glance and saw plenty of Ranunculus alismifolius var. hartwegii in bloom. They were looking great!  :)

A high elevation form of Iris hartwegii. 5,600 feet (1,707 meters).
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2018, 12:59:19 PM »
Still quite a lot of snow  at the higher spots - but so many  plants flowering well.  The Iris hartwegii is very elegant!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2018, 02:20:24 PM »
Still quite a lot of snow at the higher spots - but so many  plants flowering well.  The Iris hartwegii is very elegant!

Hi Maggi,

Much has changed since 17 May when I went to Gerle Creek Reservoir and the old Van Vleck Ranch site. Except at sites above about 7,500 ft to 8,000 ft. (2,286 to 2,438 meters) the winter snow is all gone now.

I regret the delay on the Gerle Creek - Van Vleck outing. The delay may have created some confusion for the readers. Despite a very busy work schedule I am quite committed to this diary.  :)

The high elevation forms of Iris hartwegii may have a greater tolerance to winter cold and perhaps other extremes. Last week I was working at another site in Eldorado National Forest and found Soap Plant, Chlorogalum pomeridianum, growing at 5,600 feet (1,707 meters). This is certainly near the high elevation limit for this species. This particular site is quite unique and is slated for restoration work in the coming years. I have only started a survey of the plants species at this site, but already the diversity is far beyond everyone's expectations. Very  8)

A great deal of our forestland has been greatly altered by commercial logging and other human activities over the last 50 years (and more). Such sites, as this one, need to be saved from the extremes of human activity. Everyone can benefit from this sort of restoration work, including horticulture. For example, a highly variable and diverse germ plasm can be used to create interesting, variable and more garden tolerant garden varieties. With thoughtful procedures, this can be done without exploitation and damage to existing ecosystems. Here in the U.S.A. gardener have a bad, and unfair, reputation for thoughtless plundering of native plant stocks, especially rare species. Nobody can control the activities of a few "bad apples", however we can do the best we can to promote and support on site conversation efforts. Horticulture and many others will benefit from such efforts in many ways.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #200 on: June 03, 2018, 03:39:50 PM »
Robert
Has Iris hartwegii been brought into cultivation? This high elevation form could easily provide hardiness for some kind of horticultural further selection. It is very beautiful. Do know if the flower stays long? I assume that the foliage dies off later on in the season, when dryness sets in. Am I correct?
Arturo Tarak

Robert

« Reply #201 on: June 04, 2018, 12:33:35 AM »
Robert
Has Iris hartwegii been brought into cultivation? This high elevation form could easily provide hardiness for some kind of horticultural further selection. It is very beautiful. Do know if the flower stays long? I assume that the foliage dies off later on in the season, when dryness sets in. Am I correct?

Arturo,

I have not been involved with California horticulture for many years now. It is hard for me to know if it is cultivated. I have grown it at our El Dorado County farm for many years and we also have it in our Sacramento garden. It is of very easy culture. The individual flowers do not last long, however more keep opening over several weeks making a very good display. There are a number of different subspecies one of which extends the color range into the lavender-blue shades, ssp. australis. They are quite xeric, however the foliage remains during the summer and only retreats during the winter. In our area they grow in the Sierra Nevada Mountains from + or - 1,500 feet to 4,500 feet. 5,600 feet is the extreme high elevation limit in our area.  I am recording hard data on the temperature range (other meteorological data too) within the high elevation limit of this species. It is very interesting. Snow cover is another consideration.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2018, 04:51:39 AM »

I spent part of the day working on Peavine Ridge, with a lovely view of the Crystal Range in the background. I had a bit of extra time to poke around a bit and photograph some of the wildflowers in bloom.

Large drifts of the annual Clarkia arcuata were in bloom along the crest of the ridge. It was an incredibly beautiful scene.

In other areas, Penstemon reozlii was looking very nice.

The first of the Calochortus leichtlinii are starting to open.

Calyptridium monospermum is quite common. Common or not they look great when in bloom.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2018, 04:56:03 AM »

Lupinus stiversii is still looking good.

Good bye for now, from Peavine Ridge.

My next outing will be this Thursday, 7 June.

Until next time.....
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2018, 09:54:26 PM »
Robert,

could you send some rain, please?  :o It is bone dry here - no rain for a month and very hot and sunny weather! Neither people nor gardens are accustomed to this kind of weather.

Nice plants as every time you show photographs! Thank you for showing :)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2018, 02:13:09 AM »
Trond,

How is the native flora holding up to the drought conditions?

Is there any indication for a change in the weather?

The weather here is uneventful.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2018, 11:18:43 PM »
Trond,

How is the native flora holding up to the drought conditions?

Is there any indication for a change in the weather?

The weather here is uneventful.

The native flora do very well so far. Although we have not had any precipitation the soil still contains some moisture where it isn't too shallow. The water table isn't affected yet. It is only in gardens and where the layer of soil is thin the drought is a problem. In fact we have a lot of wild plants flowering which usually flowers much later in the season.

Seems we will have a change in the weather pattern next week. The temperature will normalize and maybe we will have a few showers at the end of the week.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2018, 11:43:51 PM »
Hi Trond,

There are a number of interesting articles in the March 2018 issue of EOS that deal with climate, climate change and other topics.

I certainly hope that there is a change in the weather pattern for you. We all (all of us on this planet) may be in for a bumpy ride climatically.

I am extremely busy with work, however I will work on a write up for my last outing as I can. It was an outstanding day. I discovered a "lost world" of old growth forest that I will want to explore thoroughly in the future.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #208 on: June 11, 2018, 02:39:17 PM »

A scene from my outing last week. I have a lot of material to share, however I have much work this week with several meetings to attend. I hope to get started posting this outing next week.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2018, 05:33:32 AM »
A scene from my outing last week. I have a lot of material to share, however I have much work this week with several meetings to attend. I hope to get started posting this outing next week.  :)
Hi Robert,
I think that's what's called a teaser ;D
I'm sure your report will be worth waiting for
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal