We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California  (Read 56376 times)

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
Re: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2018, 02:25:08 PM »
Robert, the familiar garden Ceanothus is very common here in our gardens. Like you I'm only interested in the wilder forms. Again I see a lot of room for cultivation projects in that group of prostrate Ceanothus. Whenever you have seeds of your garden grown forms I would like to give them a try. I suspect that in spite of their difficulty they ought to do well here. I'm envisioning a long term project of establishing certain lines of cultivation of your native plants here, mainly with an ex-situ  conservation purpose. Time to time...
    I'm not at all surprised that you have a line of research with your violas! ;D. In my case I would love to start with those perennials which grow in dry ground. Again a very interesting long term project.... :)
    Thank you very much,
    Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »
Watching TV coverage of the  recent  AmGen Cycling tour of California, which finished in Sacramento, I felt that the world is a smaller place seeing  Robert's  "home patch" !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2018, 02:21:53 PM »
GERLE CREEK
&
VAN VLECK
El Dorado County, California
Part I

Thursday, 17 May 2018

Sacramento Weather
Weather: Few Clouds
Temperature, High: 81 F, 27.2 C
                       Low: 52 F, 11.1 C
Precipitation: 0.00 inches (0.0 mm), To date: 16.43 inches (417 mm), Average to date: 18.57 inches (472 mm)

Placerville Weather
Weather: Few Clouds
Temperature, High: 74 F, 23.3 C
                       Low: 47 F, 8.3 C
Precipitation: 0.00 inches (0.0 mm), To date: 28.78 inches (731 mm), Average to date: 34.30 inches (871 mm)

On the morning of 17 May, I set off for Peavine Ridge, El Dorado County, California to check on some instrumentation I have in the area. After doing some quick manual observations and checking the operation of a beacon, I set off for the Gerle Creek area of Eldorado National Forest. I am currently working on a simple flora – natural history for the Gerle Creek Summer Home Association (where my father built a cabin during the 1960’s). This ties in perfectly with the restoration work at Francis Cow Camp, which is within the Gerle Creek survey area. My timing was perfect to check on the early emerging and blooming flora in the Gerle Creek area.

It was a beautiful morning, with calm conditions and partly cloudy skies. It lifts my spirits to be involved with this area again. During the summer months, I spent much of my childhood and early adulthood fishing, hiking and exploring the vicinity of Gerle Creek Reservoir. My fathers cabin was only a short distance upstream from the reservoir.

There was considerable damage to the Angel Creek Road down to the reservoir, so I had a nice hike through the woods. The conifers on the north-facing slope were heavily colonized with Variable Wrinkle Lichen, Tuckermannopsis orbata, and a Tube Lichen, Hypogymnia sp., very similar to H. lophyrea (reportedly does not grow in the area).

The flora changed abruptly as I emerged from the forest to the rocky slopes overlooking the reservoir. Here the tiny Asteraceae, Hemizonella minima, Miniature Tarweed, (pictured) carpeted the ground.

Near the water’s edge I spotted a California Newt, Taricha torosa, crawling up the bank. It is best not to handle a California Newt as their skin contains toxins.

Among the outcrops of granodiorite the stems of Purple Milkweed, Ascelpias cordifolia, were emerging from the grus.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:43:14 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #183 on: May 26, 2018, 02:43:35 PM »

The morning was pleasantly warm. This Western Fence Lizard, Sceloporus occidentalis, was sunning itself on this rock.

Nearby a small colony of Pestemon newberryi var. newberryi was also sunning itself with a few open flowers, the first of the season.

From the rocky outcrops on the east side of the reservoir, I worked my way toward the confluence of Angel Creek. Here there is a shift in the habitat, with a small riparian area and densely forested north facing slopes above Angel Creek. Here Grape Fern, Sceptridium multifidum grew in the moist ground near the creek.

I was very pleased to find one of several colonies of Trillium angustipetalum. In the past I was aware of several populations of Trillium albidum in this area. The natural ecology of this region has been greatly altered over the past 50 years. I spend a considerable portion of the day trying to locate this species. I checked a number of likely locations without success. I have not seen Trillium albidum in this region since the 1980’s.

My timing was perfect to see many of the local Violet species in bloom. In the moist habitats near the Trilliums there were many colonies of Viola macloskeyi in bloom.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #184 on: May 26, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »

I have been asked what type a gear (kit) I take with me on my outings. Pictured are a few of the essential items.

1 > Lower left – AM FM duel band transceiver. By far, this is my preference over a cell phone. Yea I know! The “rubber ducky” antenna is stock for most Handy Talkies. I already have plans to construct a home made portable, easy to assemble dipole antenna that can be either horizontally or vertically polarized.

2 > To the right of the transceiver – GPS. The transceiver has a very good GPS however this GPS has many programmable features that I use frequently.

3 > To the right of the GPS – A hand held portable impeller driven anemometer. Surprisingly accurate except when there is excessive turbulence.

4 > To the right of the anemometer – Mercury sling psychrometer. The dry bulb thermometer is also useful to double-check the accuracy digital thermometers.

5 > Lower right – Digital camera

6 > Center left - Eye loop. Essential! I have lost far too many out in the field over the years that I finally started using a string to attach them to my clothing. Now I never loss them.  :)

7 > To the right of the eye loop – Tape measure with meter scale. This too is attached to my clothing.

8 > Above left – Flash light. Always comes in handy.

9 > To right of flash light – Buck Knife. Essential.

10 > To right of Buck Knife – iPad Very useful for sending telecommand functions to remote instruments. Via software I can access and operate my Sacramento based laptop computer, and other computers in my system from any remote location.  Access to all telemetry signals from remote instrument is very useful – i.e. real time data from any site with data loggers. This is a close as it gets to be in multiple locations at one time.

11 > Below iPad – Cheap digital thermometer – surprisingly accurate.

12 > Top right  - Tacky balloon with length of cotton thread. A wind vane that cost nothing. Works perfectly.

13 > Not pictured – Binoculars. I have a preference for close-focusing binoculars. They are perfect for observing butterflies in great detail without harming them.

Of coarse I bring notes books, pencils, pens and other items.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:33:59 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2018, 05:37:41 PM »
Robert, you did not mention a Porter to carry it all.

Robert

« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2018, 01:55:41 PM »
Robert, you did not mention a Porter to carry it all.

Ian,

Yea  ;D  I get this comment a lot. I guess it is whatever floats ones boat.

It is interesting how things happen. Before my wife and I married, I think my wife thought it was strange that I had all sorts of thermometers - in the autos (this was before autos had thermometers), outside, inside, etc. Well now its my wife who has thermometers all over the place. Funny how things work out.  :)  I use temp/RH/DP data recorders, at $200 U.S. a pop, for my current work in Eldorado National Forest. She even wants these out in the garden.  ;D   ???

I guess there is never a dull moment around here.  ;D

I have enjoyed your reports. Things are a bit busy for me right now. I wish that I had more time right now to surf the forum. The current U.S. holiday is the beginning of the busy season in the National Forest.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2018, 02:09:51 PM »
Robert, I relate to your wife's aspirations very easily ;D...I want those measurements everywhere here too...no porter needed though...to which I add soil temps measurements. Some biz minded gardener ought to come up with a simple kit for us, non tech gardeners, who are bewildered by the maze of equipment options nowadays. ???
Arturo Tarak

Robert

« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2018, 01:44:35 PM »
GERLE CREEK
&
VAN VLECK
Part II

For the most part, the forest on the north-facing slope was open with very little understory shrubbery. The low growing, evergreen Chimaphila menziesii was one of a number of species that grew on the forest floor.

The annual Claytonia rubra ssp. rubra often has fascinating reddish-brown foliage.

Viola sheltonii was quite common in this area. Once again I missed seeing the flowers of this early blooming species. I did encounter one plant with a remaining flower that was a bit past its prime.

Maianthemum racemosum is a frequent inhabitant of shady, somewhat moist coniferous forest at the mid elevations of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Ribes roezlii var. roezlii was one of the few shrubby species growing in this section of the forest. This species blooms very early in the season. The flowers are generally borne on bare branches on this deciduous species. In this case, I found a few late opening stray flowers.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »

As the morning progressed, the wind began to pickup and the clouds started to build. Slowly I worked my way around to the western shore of the reservoir.

Where there were small openings in the forest canopy Horkelia tridentata var. tridentata grew in scattered colonies.

Serviceberry, Amelanchier alnifolia var. pumila, is an upright shrubby species. In one location I found a plant that had layered itself. Small shoots were emerging from the ground with clusters of white flowers. This was an unusual sight.

Viola sheltonii is such an attractive species. I felt this composition, Viola sheltonii with an old fallen log and branches, was an example of this species at its best. With flowers this tiny species can make an even better display.

Eventually I worked my way around the reservoir to one of my favorite old fishing holes. When I was young, I loved to fly-fish and this was a great place to catch the brown trout (not native) that lived in the reservoir.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2018, 01:49:52 AM »
Before I get on with the Gerle Creek outing I wanted to share a few photographs from today.

Fivespot, Nemophila maculata

Lewisia nevadensis growing in an area slated for restoration. I located several stands of this species.

Viola lobata ssp. lobata One of 8 species of Viola logged in this area today. In a few locations natural hybrids of Viola purpurea x tomentosa were logged.

I located many Viola tomentosa growing in the granodiorite grus.

While taking a short rest, I watched a bit of convection build over the higher terrain.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2018, 06:15:19 AM »
It is always a pleasure to follow you Robert!

Beautiful plants, beautiful landscape and interesting fauna!

We are in the middle of a heat wave here! The temperature is 25-30C (77-86F). It is nothing for you I know but May will be the warmest May ever (ever is about 100 years). Little rain and lots of wildfires.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #192 on: June 03, 2018, 05:46:24 AM »
GERLE CREEK
&
VAN VLECK
Part III

I continued along the western shore of Gerle Creek Reservoir, pausing at my old fishing hole. Here, I spotted a Killdeer, Charadrius vociferus, (the small black and white bird, center slightly to the left, on rock) as I approached the tip of the peninsula where I caught so many brown trout in my youth.

It was a pleasant walk back to the north side of the reservoir. The pine – fir forest was carpeted with a variety of interesting plants. Trail Plant, Adenocaulon bicolor, was one of many plant species that grew abundantly on the shaded forest floor.

The humus rich, acidic soil was the perfect habitat for Goodyera oblongifolia. It has interesting and attractive foliage. The species spreads by rhizomes and will make nice colonies where happy.

Snow Plant, Sarcodes sanguinea, generally emerges from the ground soon after the snow melts. I can vividly remember seeing them in this area when I was 8-9 years old playing in the forest. It is a myco-heterotrophic species that obtains nutrients from decomposing organic matter through a fungal intermediate.

The clouds were increasing as the day progress. Soon it became quite dark and looked like rain would arrive at any time.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #193 on: June 03, 2018, 05:49:51 AM »

Before reaching the north shore of Gerle Creek Reservoir I explored a drier much more open portion of the forest. Senecio integerrimus var. major (pictured) was one of a number species that was coming into bloom in this area. Woodland Rockcress, Boechera pinetorum, also caught my attention.

At the north end of the Reservoir there is an interesting meadow-wetland area. For those that are not familiar with this area, it may be difficult to believe that this site has been altered greatly by past human activity. This meadow-wetland has recovered significantly from its condition back in the 1960’s. During this time period it was a mud pit where heavy equipment was used to drain off much of the water. I remember a grader parked next to the “mud hole” as an attempt was being made to recontour the land. In addition, the fir-pine forest has encroached considerably on the meadow-wetland. Considering its previous state, the meadow-wetland has made a considerable recovery.

For years this pool was nothing more than an ugly mud hole. Today its condition has improved dramatically. Sedges (Carex) and other species have finally recolonized the banks of the pool, the water has cleared, and a slow moving flow of water exits the pool as it moves down to the reservoir.

Veratrum californicum var. californicum is one of the bold species that has finally moved back to the wetland.

In the moist woodland surrounding the wetland there were many colonies of Trillium angustipetalum. This single specimen was the only plant I found in bloom.

I spent a considerable amount of time, recently, looking for Trillium albidum. I have not encountered this species in this area since the 1980’s. Its woodland habitat has been highly altered by commercial logging. I have not found, even one site, which has not been highly altered by the logging that has occurred in this area over the past 50 plus years. 50 years ago, Gerle Creek Reservoir was on the edge of a vast wilderness much of which had never been logged or used for rangeland. I am one of the few persons today who remember the huge stands of old growth timber and pristine habitats that once dominated this area. The grazing livestock that was brought into the adjacent lands during the 1870’s most likely never have touched much of this area. Sadly like much of Amazonia, much has been lost in this region without any sort of scientific investigation.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #194 on: June 03, 2018, 05:52:47 AM »

My next challenge was to cross Gerle Creek, which was still flowing at a fairly high level. When I was young one had to wade through the cold waters to reach the other bank. Now there is a pedestrian bridge. Since it was now raining, the bridge did spare me from becoming completely soaked both by the rain and the creek crossing.

The open forest on the east bank of the reservoir was bisected by a number of small creeks. There were large colonies of Viola glabella in bloom in the moist, shaded riparian habitats.

Viola glabella is a lovely species in the wild, however considerable effort will be required to breed and select good forms that preform well in a garden setting.

In drier, sunnier sites there were colonies of Viola pupurea ssp. integrifolia in bloom. The half buried crown of this subspecies does not produce long shoots as the other subspecies of Viola purpurea do.

I also encountered a few Sierra Puffball Mushrooms, Calvatia sculpta. This mushroom is reported to be somewhat rare these days, however I do not have any difficultly finding them in the few areas that have not been logged.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal