We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California  (Read 56360 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2018, 02:22:09 PM »
Hi Trond,

Here in California, the latest batch of subtropical moisture has arrived. There has been heavy rainfall and no snow in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. It has been far too warm. With the warm rainfall much of the snow will be gone from the Sierra. I'll know for sure when I check this week. The night time temperatures have been above freezing in the Sierra Nevada too!
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2018, 09:15:46 PM »
Robert,

There used to be an online list of where wildflowers were blooming in California
and Oregon.  Viewers would post where they had just seen them. I used to read
this to decide when to drive down from Canada.

Then it was dropped - apparently some viewers used the information to go and dig up plants.

Is there anything similar now?  I have made many trips to see early spring flowers
and late ones -  but this year I want to make a calochortus trip.

Diane
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Robert

« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2018, 12:24:26 AM »
Hi Diane,

I am not aware of any current website that posts Wildflowers sightings and dates. You might check the California Native Plant Society main website. You might also try contacting them directly.

Many of the early blooming Calochortus species are just starting into bloom. Of coarse, this is dependent on elevation, location, and species.

In addition, it has become necessary for me to be vague as to the exact location of my outings and activities. Clearly all sorts view this diary, and sadly I have had obvious and clear indications that "locals" are aware of this diary and engage in nefarious activities based on my postings. If you need more detailed information as to where to see Calochortus species in my part of California please feel free to PM me for more details.

Despite somewhat dry condition, the wildflower season is shaping up well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:26:26 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2018, 05:06:27 AM »
SOUTH FORK
 of the
AMERICAN RIVER

El Dorado County, California

Thursday, 5 April 2018

Sacramento Weather
Weather: Overcast
Temperature, High: 66 F, 18.9 C
                       Low: 54 F, 12.2 C
Precipitation: 0.00 inches (0.0 mm), To date: 14.17 inches (360 mm), Average to date: 16.96 inches (431 mm)

Placerville Weather
Weather: Overcast
Temperature, High: 73 F, 22.8 C
                       Low: 49 F, 9.4 C
Precipitation: 0.00 inches (0.0 mm), To date: 25.18 inches (640 mm), Average to date: 31.08 inches (789 mm)

Thursday, 5 April started out overcast. An atmospheric river of subtropical moisture was streaming into California. Temperatures were extremely mild for this time of the year. It was 54 F (12.2 C) as I left Sacramento in the morning and the temperature did not drop much as I drove up into the higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

I followed my usual routine on this day, gathering data on Peavine Ridge before starting my botanical activities for the day. When I arrived on the crest of Peavine Ridge it was a balmy 53 F (11.7 C) at 9:30 a.m. The snow pack from pervious weeks had melted except for a few traces here and there in the shadiest locations.

I had a fair amount of work to accomplish on the ridge before I set off for the lower reaches of the South Fork of the American River, and what I hoped would be a productive outing day. It was 11:45 a.m. when I finally arrived at my starting point for the day at 1,391 feet (424 meters). It was still very overcast, temperature 68 F (20 C).

As I started off along the upper reaches of the American River canyon, I noticed stands of Lupinus nanus growing and blooming in the immediate area. This was a surprise, as I have never seen this species in this area before, and I have been visiting this area for decades. Some roadwork had been done recently and this Lupine may have been planted deliberately as part of an erosion control effort to stabilize the steep road cuts at the construction site as I found this species nowhere else in this area.

The first portion of this journey followed a series of rocky cliff faces and bluffs. This was a great location to observe a wide variety of lichen species. I spent a fair amount of time examining the various species growing on the cliff faces as I worked my way along the ridge. Xanthoparmelia mexicana was quite common. Also pictured, and quite common, was a Caloplaca species (the orange lichen). I did not determine the Caloplaca to the species level. They were either C. subsoluta or C. squamosa. I will pay closer attention to them on my next outing to this area.

Less common was the crustose lichen, Buellia spuria.

I encounter Lepraria pacifica frequently on my travels throughout the Sierra Nevada. In this area they were fairly common on the rock faces.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2018, 05:10:06 AM »

The cliff faces were also a great place to see plants. Many of the dry, rock crevices were inhabited by Dudleya cymosa. Also seen in this photograph is Acmispon wrangelianus (right), a Fabaceae with bright yellow flowers and soft hairy foliage. This species too enjoys hot, dry, rocky slopes and cliff faces.

There were some outstanding specimens of the annual Lupinus benthamii in the sloping ground below the vertical cliff faces.

My timing was prefect for visiting this area. The early blooming species were at their peak and there was just enough rainfall to ensure plentiful flowers. I encountered large drifts of Foothill Poppy, Eschschlozia caespitosa, frequently as I continued along the upper canyon face.

The sunny, dry, steep slopes and cliff faces were prefect habitat for Lupinus albifrons var. albifrons. This was just one example of they many prime specimens I encountered on this outing.

There were subtle, but very distinct, differences in the color shade and size of the flowers among the individual specimens.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2018, 05:13:55 AM »

I soon moved into an area with very steep grassy slopes, mixed with chaparral. Large carpets of the annual Pseudobahia heermannii filled the open grassy areas. Compared to last year (a very rainy season) their display was less impressive this year, but still a delight to see.

I was very excited when I saw a flight of Sara’s Orangetips, Anthrocharis sara, on the slope above me. The terrain was extremely steep and it took considerable effort to slowly maneuver myself up the slope without sliding back down or disturbing the butterflies.

The most abundant Lupine seen on this outing was, by far, the annual Lupinus bicolor. Here they can be seen blooming in mass with Eschscholzia caespitosa in the background.

I always keep an eye out for variations in the normal characteristics of any given species. These light lavender and cream flowers caught my attention, an unusual variation in the flower color of Lupinus bicolor.

The cliff faces were never far away. Along the next section of rocky terrain there were a few Castilleja applegatei ssp. pinetorum in bloom.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2018, 05:17:40 AM »

Many Phacelia species enjoy sunny, rocky terrain and cliff faces. On this day, I encountered two species of Phacelia in this type of habitat. The annual Phacelia cicutaria has creamy-white flowers and pinnately compound leaves.

One a few occasions I encountered Phacelia cicutaria growing in sizable colonies. Under these circumstances they created impressive displays of flowers.

Phacelia imbricata seems to thrive in dry crevices in blasting hot full sun. It is a very common species in the lower foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

As my trek continued, I alternated between areas with steep grassy slopes and other areas with craggy rock outcroppings and cliffs. Common Fiddleneck, Amsinckia intermedia, was frequently seen blooming in the sloping grassy habitats.

Masses of blooming wildflowers were a common sight as I traversed the steep grassy slopes. Eschscholzia caespitosa was seen frequently blooming abundantly intermingled with Lupinus bicolor and Lupinus benthamii. In this photograph, Lupinus albifrons var. albifrons can be seen in bloom in the background bordering an area of dense chaparral.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2018, 05:21:17 AM »

After some miles, the canyon face shifted to the northeast facing exposure. The flora shifted accordingly. Here more shade loving species thrived. The annual Nemophila heterphylla was often seen blooming in large colonies in this shady habitat.

Nemophila heterophylla often shared shady slopes with another annual Collinsia tinctoria, noted for its beautifully speckled foliage.

The first flowers of Delphiniums patens ssp. patens were starting into bloom. This species is noted for its deep lavender-blue flowers.

Along the shaded parts of the canyon Cynoglossum grande was also in bloom. Some specimens had come into bloom much earlier as they had already set seed that was quickly approaching ripeness.

Micranthes californica is generally found growing on steep, deeply shaded slopes or directly on moss-covered rocks. This perennial species goes completely dormant during the summer and completely disappears. When seen growing in quantity the display of hundreds of tiny white flowers can be very impressive.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2018, 05:24:55 AM »

Parts of the canyon were forested with stands of Big Leaf Maple, Acer macrophyllum, growing as an understory of the much taller Douglas Fir, Pseudotsuga menziesii. This maple has beautiful green younger bark that is often be striated with white stripes. In addition, the large pendant racemes or panicles are attractive.

In the most shaded and perennially moist sites, Cystoperis fragilis, Fragile Fern was found growing.

Ceanothus integerrimus var. macrothyrsus enjoys more sun and was seen blooming where there were breaks in the forest canopy.

Peltigera membranacea is a distinctive foliose lichen with a large brownish-gray thallus. I almost always find it growing in shady nooks on moss.

Eventually I emerged from the shady and densely forested portion of the canyon. Large stands of Layia pentachaeta ssp. pentachaeta greeted me as I hiking into the sunshine. This native annual is quite spectacular, especially when seen blooming in mass.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2018, 05:28:55 AM »

The Turkey Vultures, Cathartes aura, were roosting in a large Douglas Fir, Pseudotsuga menziesii at the edge of the conifer forest. There was likely a carcass nearby as they were reluctant to leave the area as I passed their territory.

The first of the Mimulus kelloggii had started to bloom. This tiny annual has large vibrantly colored flowers. At times, the blossoms are larger than the remaining portion of the plant.

I finally encountered another extensive rock formation with many cliff faces. Colonies of Dichelostemma capitatum var. capitaum were in bloom perched on the many rocky ledges along this section.

Jewel Flower, Streptanthus tortuosus, also took up residence on the rocky ledges. This area is near the low elevation limit for this species. Generally I encounter this species at much higher elevations in the Sierra Nevada.

Now it was late in the day and time to return to the Outback. The wildflowers were fabulous. I could not have had a more perfect outing.

Now that I am back home, I can contemplate my next outing. Unfortunately, I have a grueling work schedule ahead as I organize an important project. Originally, I thought that I would have more time for outings, but this has not turned out as I expected. Eventually work and the wildflowers will join together in the high Sierra Nevada.  :)

Until next time…….
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2018, 08:46:40 AM »
Robert,

no doubt, and not surprisingly, your spring is far more advanced than ours :)

Although we have summer like temperatures these days it takes time to get on schedule. I have only seen dandelions, coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara), daisy (Bellis perennis) lesser celandine (Ficaria verna) and a few other spring flowers in bloom.

It is always nice to see yours - and getting a little jealous ;)

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2018, 12:25:21 PM »
Same species flowering here now Trond. Not long till spring flowers really show themselves, especially in woodland. It seems strange that California plants seem to enjoy a long spring/summer season. Our spring flowers soon go over and summer is here before you know it.

Robert

« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2018, 07:01:34 PM »

Trond, Ian,

Peavine Ridge, 13 April 2018

The first sighting of a Blue this year. It did not stick around long enough for me to identify it, but it was very sweet to see away.

On the crest of Peavine Ridge, the snow from yesterday’s snowstorm has already melted, more or less. We are having our typical springtime swings in temperature and weather. Today will be warm then more snow after that – then again warm – then more snow.

It is taking a considerable amount of effort to get my current project up and operating. I have to admit that it is frustrating for me to miss some of the wildflowers at the lower elevations of the Sierra Nevada, but then the project is already yielding data that sheds light on the climatic conditions many of our high elevation plant species contend with (in a quantitative away – no more guessing and very site specific).
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2018, 09:44:56 PM »
Robert, the under-wings of your butterfly look similar to the holly blue, Celastrina argiolus, we get here.

Robert

« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2018, 12:32:56 AM »
Hi Ian,

We have a number of different “Blues” (subfamily Polyommatinae) in our area. Most of the time I can identify them to the species if I get a good look at them or a good photograph. I had the camera at the wrong setting when I took the photograph and the little guy flew off quickly. We also have a Blue Copper (Lycaena heteronea) that looks a bit like a blue.

I enjoy your photographs of your native butterflies immensely.  8)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal