We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California  (Read 56350 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2018, 12:32:53 PM »

Eventually I moved out of the shaded terrain to a rocky, but very sunny habitat. Here the first flowers of Castilleja foliolosa had started to open. It was also late in the day and time to return to the Outback.

As I started my hike back to the Outback, I encountered a variegated sport on Lepechinia. Such sports are a bit unusual but not rare. I have tried propagating sports such as this one, but generally find that they are difficult to maintain. Generally the plant reverts to its usual green phase and I never see the variegation again, but there are always exceptions.

This was an exceptional early season outing. I encountered many species of plants and was thrilled to encounter the Pipevine Swallowtail and Sara’s Orangetip Butterflies. The weather was warm and spring-like, a complete delight.

Until next time……….
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
Nice to see the progress of your spring, Robert.

We are back in the grip of cold weather and it is very few signs of spring yet. Some of the very early crocuses and snowdrops have been damaged as they started out before the very cold type of weather hit us.

Hi Trond,

The weather has been strange here. At least we are getting some much needed precipitation.

I will be very busy for the next 5 days or so, but then I will fill you in on the cool  8)  things that are going on here in California.  :)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2018, 05:09:17 AM »

I observed the first flight of California Tortoiseshells, Nymphalis californica, today on Peavine Ridge. They can be uncommon or even rare, except during an irruptive year. Maybe this will be one of those years. I saw three at one site and Peavine Ridge has plenty of Ceanothus the preferred food source for their larva.

It was a bit cool today, but clear. Today's snow survey revealed that despite some snow during the past three days, the snow pack is melting rather quickly. With warm and sunny weather forecast this week, much of the snow on Peavine Ridge may be gone by the end of the week. In the mean time, I may be able to get out to visit the wildflowers this week (next week for sure). Spring is here in our part of Northern California and the wildflowers will be out.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:12:11 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2018, 01:36:22 AM »

Despite warm springtime weather, the snow pack on Peavine Ridge (5,146 feet, 1,569 meters) is holding up well. As of 28 March there was 32 cm of snow on the ground with a liquid equivalent of 5.55 inches (141mm).

On exposed sunny slopes, patches of exposed ground have appeared as the snow melts. Yesterday’s high temperature on the ridge was 61 F (16.1 C), the low temperature was 33 F (0.6 C). It was 64 F (17.8 C) today as I recorded measurements. The annual, Lupinus stiversii is perking up quickly after being buried for a number of weeks by up to 64 cm of wet heavy snow.

Sanincula tuberosa also rebounded quickly. This early blooming species will display its yellow flowers shortly.

Viola purpurea ssp. integrifolia has emerged from the ground. It is one of 4 taxa of Viola that I have observed on Peavine Ridge.

This is one of my favorite vistas of the Crystal Range from Peavine Ridge. Readers of this diary have seen the vista numerous times. I never tire of the beautiful view.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2018, 08:24:13 AM »
Agree Robert, it is a beautiful view! I like to see the plants rebounding after winter. Not much of it up here!

Here at the mountain cabin it is still very cold (-23C/-10F the last nights) and lots of snow! Everything is covered by at least 1m snow. Only this Salix myrsinites shows a few twigs. 

610059-0

A strange looking pine (Pinus sylvestris) grows close to the trail not far from the cabin. It was damaged by lightening some years ago so therefore it is not as symmetric as it once was.

Another younger one (a seedling?) grows nearby.

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2018, 02:16:37 PM »
Trond,

The snow can be very beautiful. It must be nice around your cabin!  :)  The pine in, the photograph, seems somewhat fastigate. Is this common or a bit unusual? When might the snow melt from the ground and plants start into growth?

I have been tempted to hike into the higher terrain to see how much snow is on the ground. On Peavine Ridge, "spring" snow conditions exist. The snow is very wet and soft. If the snow had been around since January (normal conditions) much of the snow would be frozen hard, especially near the base of the accumulations. The weather was so strange this winter. I would have to hike to 8,000 feet (2,438 meters) to find much snow that fell back in January.

I may be tempted to hike into the high country, but many wildflowers are now blooming at the lower elevations. This weekend I will have an opportunity to check things out a bit. In the mean time I have more work to do on Peavine Ridge.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »
Robert,

I agree, the snow can be very beautiful! And with this cold weather the skiing is easy also. No fuzz about preparing the skis.

The pine is fastigiate and it is very uncommon. I have only seen these two trees with this form.

Usually we will have some plants in bloom in late April or early May (Pulsatilla vernalis, Potentilla crantzii, Viola rupestris, Noccaea caerulescens) but this year  - I don't know. It depends on the weather.  If we get warm weather the snow melts quickly but if the weather stays cold . . .who knows!

Back home the earliest wild spring flowers are in bloom (Primula vulgaris, Ranunculus ficaria).

Robert

« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2018, 05:06:16 AM »
Trond,

Sounds like you could have a late spring this year?

Here in Northern California the weather has been very strange since autumn with various anomalous extremes. Now, spring has arrived in the lower elevations. I have one more day of work on Peavine Ridge and then I can take some time to see what is going on at the lower elevations. The weather is perfect.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »
We have a rather nice fastigiate Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) in our front garden - it is to the left in this image, a Bulb Log cover pic from week 35 of 2016....

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2018, 05:45:41 AM »
Trond,

It looks like we have similar conditions in the higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada.  8)

Today was my last day on Peavine Ridge this week. The Crystal Range (pictured) still has a nice blanket of snow despite the above average temperatures for this time of year. It was an incredibly balmy 67 F, 19.4 C, today on the Ridge. With these temperatures the snow was melting quickly, only 24 cm, about 9.5 inches, remaining. Many of the exposed south-facing locations were already free of snow.

Today I was able to get a good photograph of Viola purpurea ssp. integrifolia. On Peavine Ridges, this species can be quite abundant in some locations. I have observed some very nice variations in the flower color of this subspecies. I will definitely be paying attention to them as their blooming cycle commences.

Mimulus torreyi is one of many California native annual Monkeyflower species. I have worked out a good system for their cultivation in the garden and look forward to cultivating this species.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2018, 05:48:49 AM »

I was very curious as to the snow depth a bit up the road from my favorite Peavine Ridge hangouts. There was a fair amount of snow around Ice House Reservoir, 5,455 feet (1,663 meters). I measured 30 cm (one foot) + or – depending on the exposure to the sun.

In the distance there was a view of Pyramid Peak. The snow was melting quickly where there was exposure to the sun for much of the day. It was a very comfortable 63 F, 17.2 C. It will be interesting to see how long the snow remains with temperatures like this.

The road to Wrights Lake and the staging areas to the high country of the Crystal Range will not be passible by regular auto traffic for a while. There was over 30 cm (one foot) of snow on the pavement (deeper elsewhere). When I did a core sample, the base of the snow was rock hard ice that will not melt quickly, especially in shaded areas. There were plenty of indications that the road had been traveled by 4x4’s with floatation tires, snowmobiles, and some hardy souls using cross-country skis.

There is another route into Wrights Lake and I have curiosity on its condition. Tomorrow the priority is the check on the blooming wildflowers at the lower elevations (much lower!).
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2018, 07:10:57 AM »
We have a rather nice fastigiate Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) in our front garden - it is to the left in this image, a Bulb Log cover pic from week 35 of 2016....

Maggi, I didn't remember that! Have you bought it or found it as a seedling?

Hoy

« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2018, 07:16:53 AM »
Trond,

It looks like we have similar conditions in the higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada.  8)

Robert,

Maybe it's the same in the mountains but you definitely have warmer temperatures at lower levels!

Nice leaves on the young plants. They seem to have little competition?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2018, 11:57:13 AM »
Maggi, I didn't remember that! Have you bought it or found it as a seedling?
It came as a young plant from Hilliers Nursery many years ago. All the growth goes  upwards. It's as tall now as the lamp post nearby on the  street.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 12:01:30 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
Robert,

Maybe it's the same in the mountains but you definitely have warmer temperatures at lower levels!

Nice leaves on the young plants. They seem to have little competition?

Trond,

You are right, the only similarity is the current depth of the snow in the higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada. Other than the snow, temperatures here are extremely mild, even at the higher elevations. The low temperature on Peavine Ridge, 5,126 feet (1,562 meters) on 29 March was 35 F, 1.7 C. That is mild! Extremely mild for this time of year.

The forecast is for the mild weather to continue. By Thursday, more subtropical moisture is forecast to arrive. Snow levels are forecast to be, more or less, non-existent. At some point this coming week we will be hit hard by heavy rainfall - maybe more flooding as the remaining snow melts with the heavy rainfall. At least the drought status has changed from drought to abnormally dry. Generally much of the farm irrigation and municipal water supplies at the low elevations of California are supplied by snow melt in the Sierra Nevada Mountains during the late spring and early summer months. If the current conditions continue, all the snow will be gone by 1 May! On average, temperatures have been far above average since the autumn here in Northern California.

You are correct the plants in this area have minimal competition. Much of Peavine Ridge is capped by ancient (recent in geological time) andesite deposits. In many locations, it has not broken down much. It creates a situation where there is some unique flora. There are a number of species that are, more or less, endemic to Peavine Ridge. In addition, the range of a number of species is extended into the Peavine Ridge area due partly to the unique geology of the area.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:24:42 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal