We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California  (Read 55996 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2018 - Robert's botantical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2018, 11:30:55 PM »
I have a large, long term project I am getting started. I will be extremely busy until the first of March, at which time I will resume my usual schedule of outings. In the mean time I will share some photographs from past outings.

One outing - my August 2003 trip to the Carson-Iceburg Wilderness.

Another interesting outing in the spring of 2006 to Eastern Washington State.

A summer outing to Sierra Valley and Calpine where my grandfather's cabin was located.

Photographs of Fossil, Oregon (eastern Oregon) during the winter/spring of 2006.

I'll share what I can during the coming weeks.  :)

Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 07:51:29 PM »
Robert,

Strange to see your warm minter! Although the winter temperature has been on average, we have had more snow (rain at the coast) than in several years,  200 - 400% above normal. And the spring is still some months ahead!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2018, 04:40:21 AM »
Hi Trond,

400% of average! This is an incredible amount of precipitation. Is this record setting?

For us winter seems to be arriving now. Yesterday, I manually logged 2 cm of accumulated snow on Peavine Ridge, 5,146 feet (1,569 meters). This is a small fraction of the average amount. A trace fell in the a.m. hours. Much more is on the way! How I wish I had all my instrumentation in place  :'(  On Peavine Ridge it was 65 F (18.3 C) on 6 February; on 12 February it was 38 F (3.3 C). All afternoon temperatures. At Loon Lake I logged a low of 19 F (-7.2 C) on 12 February. It will be getting much colder in the next few days. It will be great to have quantitative data from various habitats in the Crystal Basin. Right now there is little or no snow cover in many locations on the west slope of the Crystal Range. The forecast low temperatures are in the 0 F (-17.8 C) range. This is certainly not record breaking, but at least I am now getting some quantitative data from a few locations.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2018, 04:09:37 AM »

It is interesting reviewing past outings. This outing to the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness took place on 4 August 2003. The weather was a bit unusual during this time frame. I left the Placerville, California farm very early in the morning. It was a bit mild 60 F (15.6 C). It was the beginning of a warm-up, as on 2 August the weather was stormy with much thunderstorm activity. 0.64 inches (16 mm) of rain fell, which is a considerable amount for Placerville in August. It was also very cool for early August. The high temperature on 2 August was only 76 F (24.4 C). Although the storminess retreated from Placerville and the Sierra Nevada foothills, the stormy weather lingered in the Sierra Nevada.

When I arrived at Ebbetts Pass (8,730 feet – 2,661 meters), the starting point of this outing, there was already considerable convective cloudiness. The eastern trailhead begins in a forested area with a view of a small meadow. The trail climbs steadily until it finally breaks into a dry, open, alpine setting with a view of Kinney Reservoir (pictured).

The brilliant orange-red flowers of Ipomopsis aggregate where the first to catch my eye as I started out on this trek. They were blooming in an ocean of Sidalcea glaucescens and Lupinus sp. (I forget which one, as there are a number of different species in this area).

Ipomopsis aggregate grew abundantly in this area. It was this encounter with Ipomopsis that got me hooked on growing this species. Since moving to Sacramento I have lost it to cultivation.  :'(  I will certainly obtain seed and get this species going again.

Much of the open areas were quite arid, populated by various species of Artemisia and Wyethia mollis. The vistas of the surrounding mountains were awesome.

Even at this late date, many of the wildflowers were still just coming into their peak of bloom. In these open, xeric sites, Wyethia mollis grew in large drifts and were looking great.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2018, 05:00:40 AM »

The trail soon crosses a low pass and moves into Noble Canyon. The trail hugs the western slope of Noble Canyon below a steep escarpment of volcanic rock.

Across Noble Canyon there is a majestic panorama of the neighboring peaks and ranges to the east. Highland Peak, 10,935 feet (3,333 meters), dominates the eastern landscape.

The trail continues southward along the western slope of Noble Canyon. A mosaic of habitats is encountered as one continues along the trail. Artemisia species inhabit the drier habitats along this route. The dwarf Artemisia arbuscula ssp. arbuscula (pictured) is quite common; however there are occasional widely scattered colonies of the taller growing Artemisia tridentata ssp. vaseyana. The more herbaceous Atremisia ludoviciana ssp. incompta is also seen frequently. It is a bit more adaptable to a wider variety of growing conditions and can be seen in open sunny sites as well as partly sunny sites near the edge of forested areas.

There was a tremendous variety of species blooming on this day. The blooming cycle of Calochortus leichtlinii was at its peak and it was seen frequently on sunny, dry, rocky slopes.

I encountered one outstanding stand of Allium campanulatum. I initially needed a second good look at the specimens, as my first thought was that they might be Allium bisceptrum. It was difficult to detect that the foliage had already withered as they were growing amongst a thick stand of Erigeron. There were also a number of other features that made the identification easy.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2018, 05:03:48 AM »

The brightly colored and minty scented Monardella odoratissima ssp. glauca was at its prime.

The mat forming Alpine Pussy-toe, Antennaria media, grew among the rocks in dry sunny areas. The distinctive dark almost black phyllaries and more or less non-glandular foliage made this species easy to identify.

Penstemon heterodoxus var. heterodoxus was the most common Penstemon species seen on this outing.

Paintbrushes, Castilleja sp., are always a delight to see in bloom. Ooopps! I forgot to note the name of this species.

The trail begins to rise again as it approaches the tiny Noble Lake. Here there were many old majestic specimens of Juniperus grandis.

At one time trout were planted into Noble Lake. The lake is small and not ideal habitat for trout (which are not native to the lake anyway). Recently the trout were removed from the lake and it is hoped that Mountain Yellow-legged Frogs (Rana muscosa) will recolonize the lake. Before the introduction of trout into most high Sierra Nevada lakes, Mountain Yellow-legged Frogs lived in these lakes. Once the highly predatory trout were introduced into high Sierra Lakes, the populations of Yellow-legged Frogs dropped dramatically. Other environmental/habitat changes have further decreased their population numbers. Now Yellow-legged Frogs are rarely encountered. Presently, there is hope that their numbers are starting to rise again.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Jacek

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »
The trail begins to rise again as it approaches the tiny Noble Lake. Here there were many old majestic specimens of Juniperus grandis.

Juniperus grandis is so nice. The shape of the canopy resembles Pinus cembra somewhat (only the specimens of high mountains). Of course, P. cembra has different needs - this is a tree of coldest places with very short vegetation period, but sufficient sun and water. Otherwise they are exposed to the same elements - wind, snow, etc.

I asked Mr Google and it seems to me this nice tree is not in ornamental cultivation. Is it true? Why? What is its hardiness?

I like the pictures you show recently - the mountain views - not too arid, green, trees, but also open spaces. Would like to be there in the spring.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2018, 10:34:32 AM »
Robert, your Ipomopsis agreggata reminds me of your Lobelia cardinalis, that you have shown in other opportunities. Both seem hummingbird pollinated with the remarkable scarlet red standing out. I would assume that L.cardinalis is more riparian while Ipomopsis is better suited to a drier location. Am I right?. Have you seen them growing near to each other. My recent Lobelia c. populations has yet to be spotted by our native hummingbirds. They would have a treat along with flowering red garden pentstemons. I'm partial towards hummers...
    On a different line, I'm curious to know what kind of meteorological equipment you set out for your measurements. As I get to study climate at the nanno scale, detailed information about how temps vary at ground level can explain plant population patterns. Screes build up thermal resilience that allow scree species to withstand cold but also may(?) replace the role of snow cover keeping the soil line just above freezing at times. On the other hand large boulders are thermal radiators, so that again there may be plants associated to the vicinity of these structures. All very interesting questions at least in my inquisitive self.
Arturo Tarak

Robert

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2018, 03:03:07 PM »
Hi Jacek,

Yes, basically Juniperus grandis is, more or less, not cultivated, at least in California. Why? The answer is complex. One reason is the complexity of propagation (not easy for most commercial propagators). Another reason is the lack of demand from the public. The species is easily grown, but rather slow growing (one reason the general public and the nursery trades are not interested in the species).

The species is very cold hardy. Exactly how hardy? I am currently involved in finding a much more quantitative answer to this based on manually gathered meteorological data gathered at various sites in the Sierra Nevada Mountains (including Juniperus grandis habitat).

Jacek, the precipitation patterns in the Sierra Nevada are very seasonal. Most precipitation falls in the late autumn to spring in the form of snow. There is some monsoonal moisture during the summer, but this monsoonal moisture varies from summer to summer and is still very limited. Many species native to the Sierra Nevada are xeric in nature. By autumn conditions can be extremely dry. There are riparian habitats where moisture-loving species grow. Sometimes the moisture is just under the ground flowing through coarse rock and gravel.

Moisture patterns are changing in the Sierra Nevada. This is part of the long-term project I am currently working on. Data on precipitation, snow accumulation, etc. is being logged. Once again, detailed quantitative answers will eventual be produced to answer questions like yours in a more definitive way.

The bottom line is that the Sierra Nevada Mountains are indeed very beautiful. I never tire of visiting the mountains and I am sure you would enjoy the Sierra Nevada too.

Arturo,

Lobelia cardinalis var. pseudosplendens is native to Southern California and is not native or seen in our part of California. Ipomopsis aggregata is a very attractive species. I am reasonably sure that they are Hummingbird pollenated; however I have never seen Hummingbirds feeding on the flowers. We have a few resident Hummingbird species, however other species migrate northward from Mexico or from other southern U.S. areas during the summer.

I am using fairly simple instruments in the current project, although I am getting technical advice from the University of Nevada Reno on improving the memory capabilities of the thermometers and hydrometers. I am using digital thermometers, a mercury sling psychrometer, rain gauges, snowboards, metric scales, etc. There are a few “old timer” scientists that are excited that I am willing to do frequent manual observations. They understand the advantages of manual on site observations. This project is currently keeping me very busy, however it will fit perfectly with my botanical outings. I will be able to resume my usual outing schedule soon. The interaction of the weather with the flora is fascinating. I believe that some of the information will be helpful to us to the better understand the plants we grow in our gardens and have more success with larger spectrum of species.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Jacek

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2018, 12:06:22 PM »
Yes, basically Juniperus grandis is, more or less, not cultivated, at least in California. Why? The answer is complex. One reason is the complexity of propagation (not easy for most commercial propagators). Another reason is the lack of demand from the public. The species is easily grown, but rather slow growing (one reason the general public and the nursery trades are not interested in the species).

Interesting. In congested Europe slow growth is rather an advantage. But California is congested, too. I couldn't find Juniperus grandis on davesgarden.com, so I thought it is not cultivated.

Propagation is an issue. I do not have appropriate knowledge, many conifers may be propagated by cuttings if seedlings are too slow to grow. In case rooting is unsuccessful - grafting may be done, although this makes the procedure expensive. In case of Juniperus grandis appropriate  rootstock may not be available.

Last but not least - breathtaking appearance of old, windswept tree will never be achieved in garden conditions. Exactly this is the case with Pinus cembra - in the garden it is a slowly growing tree with regular cylindrical dense canopy - not an appearance of a tree fighting with elements for survival.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

Robert

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2018, 02:27:38 PM »
Jack,

You bring out some excellent points.

I suppose one could use Niwaki to shape Juniperus grandis, but then this too takes much time and energy to achieve results.

I do not have much room in our Sacramento garden for trees. One way I enjoy some of our larger California native trees and shrubs is by growing them in large containers and using bonsai techniques to keep them small and give them an interesting shape. I like the bark and trunks of the wild Sierra Junipers. Seed is generally easy to gather. I like the challenge of finding efficient ways of germinating difficult to sprout seeds.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2018, 02:40:34 PM »

One of the gems of the high Sierra Nevada is Primula suffrutescens. On this outing I encountered this species in shaded, moist rock outcroppings. It was a pleasure to stop and enjoy this species as I continued my trek southward toward the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness.

From Noble Lake the trail climbs and continues southward to a low pass where one officially enters Carson-Iceberg Wilderness.

At this point I needed to decide which direction to take. The weather seemed to be clearing so I chose to climb one of the nearby peaks.

Red Peak looked inviting with a number of different habitats to explore on my way to the summit.

Once on the summit of Red Peak, the summit of Tyron Peak, 9,970 feet (3,039 meters) looked equally inviting. This photograph of Tyron Peak was taken while I was at Noble Lake earlier in the day.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2018, 02:43:28 PM »

This is the reverse view of Noble Lake from the summit of Tyron Peak.

At this point things became extremely interesting. I was completely surprised to find this world of rolling alpines meadows perched high among the high peaks. As the wind howled over this expanse, thousand of the purplish to red spotted seedpods of Astragalus whitneyi rattled intensely from all directions.

I had good reason to be concerned up on this high ridge. And now, I needed to find a way down quickly. Hiking east (right side of this photograph) was not going to work unless I could fly like a bird.

I was not in the mood to attempt a decent of this volcanic escarpment of cliffs and steep slopes.

The many volcanic buttresses colonized with alpine plants and Caloplaca lichens (orange coloration on rock) intrigued. Unfortunately there was not time to loiter and examine all the interesting features of the rock formations.

The vistas from the top of this ridge were spectacular, but also gave me clues to the pending weather. I noted the rain showers developing. All day the weather was vacillating back and forth; one moment it looked like the weather would clear; five minutes later it looked like it was going to storm. The top of this ridge was not a good place to be if a thunderstorm developed. To stay safe, I wanted to retreat to lower terrain as soon as possible.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2018, 02:46:10 PM »

It was a shame to have to leave this area, as there were so many beautiful and choice plants in bloom such as this Wild Buckwheat, Eriogonum ovalifolium var. nivale.

There were also prime specimens of Sencio fremontii var. occidentalis in peak bloom.

Among the rocks were beautiful colonies of Sedum lanceolatum, also at their peak of bloom. This might have been one of those “once in a lifetime” opportunities to view so many species blooming all at the same time. Sadly, the crack of thunder announced that it was time to leave quickly.

I made the correct decision as the clouds continued to build and become more menacing by the moment. As I retreated back down the southern slopes there were excellent views of Highland Lakes.

The remaining portion of this outing was uneventful. I returned to my truck and started the long drive back to Placerville. I was fortunate to see so many beautiful plants in bloom and not get soaked with rain.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2018, 04:07:31 PM »
Robert, it looks like you have found an interesting area which needs more exploring. Do Bristle Cone Pines occur in the area? You seem to cover quite a large area with stiff climbing in one day.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal