We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cassiope Wardii  (Read 2113 times)

Frans IJsselstijn

Cassiope Wardii
« on: January 01, 2018, 10:40:12 AM »
Dear members

Can anyone tell me in which soil Cassiope wardii grow.
Tanks for the answers

Kind regards
Frans IJsselstijn
in the Netherlands

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Cassiope Wardii
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »
a very gritty acid soil I would have thought.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ArdfearnAli

• Ardfearn Nursery
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 07:53:46 PM »
I have a few old plants at our nursery which seem to like well drained good soil with extra peat and grit added. They also seem to be happier in a more sheltered spot away from cold drying winter winds. The best one I have is under a large Phylliopsis.  If you top dress around the plant with similar compost/soil  they tend to produce rooted suckers at the base which can be cut off and grown on. Its a bit easier than trying to root them as cuttings. If you wish to root them as cuttings I have found if you pull or strip the leaves off it tends not to work so well. The base seems to go black and rot.  I use a small pair of very sharp scissors or trimming knife to remove the basal leaves without damaging the stem. I reckon  by stripping the leaves you also remove the soft bark from the stem.
Hope you have success

Alasdair

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 08:35:06 PM »
Good point about taking extra care  when removing the lower leaves, Ali;  the stems are easily damaged.
Happy New Year to all at Ardfearn, by the way!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal