We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nargs Seedex 2017-8 live  (Read 1150 times)

brianw

Nargs Seedex 2017-8 live
« on: December 15, 2017, 05:19:31 PM »
For those of you who can't get enough through SRGC and AGS, the NARGS members seedex for this year went live online today.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Nargs Seedex 2017-8 live
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »
Note from NARGS  to  their members :

"The NARGS Seed Exchange online ordering will begin on Friday, December 15th on the NARGS website.  Exact time it will open is not known so you will need to check website on Friday to see if it is open.

The 2017-2018 Main Round Seed list is now viewable at http://nargs.org/seed-exchange/seed-list-main for those who want to check out what is available and plan their selections before the rush of the opening of seed ordering.

You can also download for viewing or printing, various files related to the seed list on the Downloadable Seed List Files page http://nargs.org/downloadable-seed-list-files.  Instructions for ordering online are at https://nargs.org/2017-online-ordering-information .

The online ordering program will require you to login to the NARGS website using your personal username or email address AND password to access the seed ordering program when it goes live on Friday.  Please make sure you have created an account and know your password NOW so that you are ready when the Seed List goes live.  To login use the Login link found in the upper right-hand menu on the web page.   If you need help logging in or renewing your membership see the FAQ page also in the upper right-hand menu.

If you need a paper copy of the seed list mailed to you contact Joyce Fingerut, 537 Taugwonk Road, Stonington, CT 06378-1805  or alpinegarden@comcast.net immediately.  If you already requested a print seed list, they were mailed out Monday so you should be receiving it soon (they may take up to 2 weeks to arrive).

Any questions about the Seed Exchange can be sent to Laura Serowicz seedintake@mi.rr.com  or seedintake@gmail.com .

Enjoy perusing the list of seeds donated to this year’s seed exchange by your fellow members and deciding what to order!

Regards,

NARGS Seed Exchange Team"
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:46:15 PM »
Hello folks,

Viewing various 2017-2018 Seedexes (NARGS, AGS, SRGC), I find seed listed of my hybrid Allium 'Millenium'. I offer a reminder when growing seed from named cultivars, it's best practice to label your seedlings to make it clear it's not the original TRUE plant, using some sort of labeling verbiage such as "seedlings ex. CultivarName".

Having grown on generations of progeny from my Allium 'Millenium', under open-pollinated garden conditions I can guarantee seedlings do not come true from seed and should not bear the name 'Millenium' if grown from seed. By the way, I gave this plant away to Tony Avent for introduction back in 2000, I do not make anything off of this plant's widespread nursery popularity, it was better that it "gets out there" to become established in horticulture, rather than risk losing the plant due to my insane professional work schedule and utter inattentiveness to my gardens for shear lack of time. Fortunately, I'm retired now.

I have attached a few images of Allium 'Millenium' flowering in mid August in various locations:

1 -  Fields of Allium 'Millenium' (vegetatively propagated by division) at Walters Gardens, Michigan, USA.
      This photo taken by Tony Avent (of Plant Delights Nursery) when visiting the growing fields at Walters Gardens.
      I was told that there were approximately a quarter of a million plants in that rolling field.  :o

2 -  Couple clumps of Allium 'Millenium' in Walters Gardens display beds.

3 -  nice established clump of Allium 'Millenium' at Denver Botanic Gardens.

One more thing, I noticed on the AGS seed list, the name Allium tanguticum is listed. This is a reminder that true A. tanguticum (a bulbous species) is NOT in cultivation, everything (and I mean everything) going under that name will turn out to be a poor pale-flowered form of Allium lusitanicum (formerly A. senescens ssp. montanum), a rhizomatous species.

Happy seed growing.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 01:56:52 AM »
The NARGS surplus seeds are listed on their site, and can be ordered
on March 1.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal