We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 5118 times)

ian mcdonald

Re: December in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »
Nice bit of snow Angie, we hardly ever see it here these days.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 03:27:32 PM »
Makes a nice Christmas card Angie!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

angie

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 05:35:48 PM »
It's nearly all away and I can say I am glad to see it go. I love the snow and its pretty but no being able to get out in my car isn't much fun. We have never had ice like this before and since its a private road the council don't grit it  :'( Sayingall this what idiot that lives at the top of the hill would buy a Audi TT  ::) ::) ::) stop laughing.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »

The first days of winter and our Sacramento, California garden is quiet. In the last day or two it finally turned seasonally cold, i.e. frost in the morning. The 7 day GFS weather forecast still looks dry. We are hoping for a change to rainy weather.

Moraea polystachya is one of the few plants in bloom now. There are a few flowers on Narcissus romieuxii and the late fall, early winter blooming Salvias, such as Salvia semiatrata.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
That's a lovely moraea Robert 8)

Here Hamamelis x intermedia 'Jelena' is starting, perhaps a week or two later than usual.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Robert

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
That's a lovely moraea Robert 8)

Here Hamamelis x intermedia 'Jelena' is starting, perhaps a week or two later than usual.

Ashley,

'Jelena' will not start blooming for another 4 to 6 weeks up at our El Dorado County, California farm.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

odvdveer

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 08:52:43 PM »
First flower on a Narcissus cantabricus in my crevice garden

brianw

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 10:17:17 PM »
My first Spring Dawn daffodil opened yesterday, and I still have a few autumn crocus and colchicums just about in flower in the garden.
A short winter; maybe ?
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2017, 12:04:11 AM »
'Jelena' will not start blooming for another 4 to 6 weeks up at our El Dorado County, California farm.

That's interesting Robert.  The few witch hazels we grow span the whole winter, which I really appreciate.  'Jelena' starts the show in December, followed by 'Pallida' in January (exquisite scent) then finally 'Diane' in February-March with the main rush of snowdrops.   They also give wonderful (if fleeting) autumn colour.  Great plants.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Robert

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2017, 02:18:37 PM »
That's interesting Robert.  The few witch hazels we grow span the whole winter, which I really appreciate.  'Jelena' starts the show in December, followed by 'Pallida' in January (exquisite scent) then finally 'Diane' in February-March with the main rush of snowdrops.   They also give wonderful (if fleeting) autumn colour.  Great plants.

Ashley,

'Jelena', 'Diane', and 'Pallida' all bloom, more or less, at the same time at our El Dorado County, California farm. Maybe the climate is more "continental" at the farm. 'Hiltingbury' is planted at our Sacramento, California home. It will blooming in January. The autumn foliage is great, especially at the farm where the autumn weather is much cooler.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2017, 02:47:18 PM »
'Jelena' is the earliest of all here and can flower as early as Christmas and as late as the end of February.  It may well be my favourite of the lot though everyone raves about  'Aphrodite'.    Have never warmed to the reds as haven't seen them posotioned to show them at their best.

johnw
-2 & ice pellets
John in coastal Nova Scotia

IanR

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 10:18:35 PM »
Primula "wanda" flowering on Boxing Day.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2017, 06:49:20 AM »
Welcome to the Forum IanR. As you see I am one of the most ancient of ancient monuments and it's always good to have new members join, especially at this time of year.

I see on our southern hemisphere news that in the north you are having some dreadful weather with snowfalls to record levels. On the other hand, we in the south are having daytime temperatures between high 20s and low 30s centigrade and are in urgent need of good rain.

In view of your cold, I have to say that Primula 'Wanda' is a brave little plant, but must be so welcome as an
early sign of spring to come. Warm (and very sunny) best wished to all Forumists for a happy, healthy and floral New Year. I hope you will enjoy Weldenia candida.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 06:51:25 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2017, 07:24:18 AM »
Lesley

A very nice plant, these Weldenia candida. I enjoy this perfect appearance. :D

Thomas

GordonT

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »

I see on our southern hemisphere news that in the north you are having some dreadful weather with snowfalls to record levels.

Warm (and very sunny) best wished to all Forumists for a happy, healthy and floral New Year. I hope you will enjoy Weldenia candida.

Lesley, Weldenia is new to me. What an exquisite plant! How does it grow for you? I awoke to -14C and snow, an arctic vortex has descended over the center of the continent, and isn't forecast to retreat anytime soon. What concerns me is the lack of an insulating snow layer on the ground before the onset of cold.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal